i got it!! i got it!! (-:

Posted by: michael1702 on 12 August 2008

hdx has arrived. it's great! Smile

due to some wlan issues not connected to the internet right now but it rips and plays and sounds fantastic.
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Steve S1
It didn't look that tricky at the summer show. I was more concerned that it was not sounding as good as I had hoped. What happened to rip and play?

Steve
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Claus-Thoegersen
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
e
I don't think that the HDX is desgiend to be installed by *normal* people.

After hearing how much care you had to make the Linn DS happy, I just think that the price for using something as automated as UNPNP or what the correct akronym is just takes a lot of getting used to an actually maybe also a lot more of network knowledge than what is proclaimed buy such an userfirendly protocol.

On the Linn DS it seems that after you add new albums the DS is not clever enough just to add the new album, but it performs a total scan of all music or just is very slow to add the new album! but maybe this is just the way this protocol works. Maybe we need a backup cd players to play music while waiting for these music scannings grin!
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by patevil:
as with the ns01 and ns02. if you observe to the left of the pic u will see 3 server like devices under shared.

i have a device called "nshdx56fa" -- how do I log into it? What username and password?
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by jon honeyball:
mine is in default position, whatever that is. I will check tomorrow .

From a quick look at the Manual (I know - how gauche?) it seems likely that the default would be Signal Ground to "Chassis" and you need to change it to "Floating".

"Unless connecting to a system that includes another earthed source component (a Naim CD player, DVD player or AV processor for example), switch the rear panel Signal Ground to Chassis. The Signal Ground switch should be set to Floating if mains “hum” is heard through the speakers or if the audio system includes another earthed source item."
I wonder how many dealers have spotted this?

Having the default setting to be wrong for normal naim systems seems... courageous, minister.
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
courageous, minister.

I know nothing - but I learn, I get better.

So - better to check from the picture.
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Patrick F
is your hdx set to DHCP?

is your computer in the same range IP address wise as the HDX? HDX comes with a disk for IP client.

subnet mask in the same range? 255.255. etc.etc.

that should suffice till you talk to TOM
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S1:
It didn't look that tricky at the summer show. I was more concerned that it was not sounding as good as I had hoped. What happened to rip and play?

The connection the back is straight forward.
I wasn't pay attention to how to configure and set up since I figured that's an installer's job.

once set up, I liked its user interface. Intuitive and easy. (FYI: I am right brained. )
quote:
Originally posted by patevil:
is your hdx set to DHCP?

is your computer in the same range IP address wise as the HDX? HDX comes with a disk for IP client.

subnet mask in the same range? 255.255. etc.etc.

that should suffice till you talk to TOM

sorry, you misunderstand -- all of that is fine -- the issue was the glacial time taken to start crawling through the 150Gb of music in my iTunes folder,and the slow crawling once it started. I understand this is by design and i should be patient :-)
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
all of that is fine -- the issue was the glacial time taken to start crawling through the 150Gb of music in my iTunes folder,and the slow crawling once it started. I understand this is by design and i should be patient :-)

Jon,

I suspect you are already being far more patient than most. It seems like a fearful faff compared to other solutions at this stage.

quote:
I wasn't pay attention to how to configure and set up since I figured that's an installer's job.

Kuma,

Fair point. Lets hope each dealer's computer and network skills will meet what is obviously a fair challenge.

Steve
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by rupert bear
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
I don't think that the HDX is designed to be installed by *normal* people.

That isn't what the forthcoming magazine reviews will tell you.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by GuyS.
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Harris:

It is possible using the Desktop Client software to force a lookup / relookup of any album on the server at a later date - so if you do have any unknown discs you can always go in later and re look them up...

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil, is there any way to manually update the album art if the incorrect version has been picked up ?
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by Paul Stephenson
steve and kuma, the hdx is a breeze to use, plug in mains, signal and ethernet, place a disc rip and go... the end... listen to it.
If you wish to dig deeper and find out all the other things you can do then have a go.
Some issues could arise with network share, taking music from other places,this could be do do with how the pc or other device is set up for sharing files or firewalls.
The great thing about this forum is that all kinds of set ups and issues can be discussed there are lots of different ways to run into connectivity issues.

Its child play!! Try it for yourself.

ok the sound, like any new piece of kit it needs respect, placement and of course reading the manual or our favourite choice is the dealer install.

Upgrade, yes with our hdx you can... add a power supply, hi-line and later this month a powerline these will all take the hdx to another place musically, as with all other naim kit were upgrades are possible.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by jon h
oh indeed, paul, the basic "rip and play" proposition is very easy. But you know me, I like to push the envelope just a few inches :-)

jon
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by PMR
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:
there are lots of different ways to run into connectivity issues.
Agreed.

Paul, don't you think this is better served by using a MAC, PC, iTunes, SB Duet and other media players/software, rather than trying to compete in a well developed industry in respect of convenience and music downloads. Wouldn't it make far more sense to stick to the principle of building solid CD players (because we all have CD’s), but allow owners access to the DAC within the CDX2, CDS3 and 555 in order to support computer driven media?

I don’t think anyone is knocking Naim, just trying to help.

Peter
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by paremus
I think many people will not want the hassle. They will be happy to pay for a quality system and let the dealer install. This is no different for speakers or turntables - look at all the fuss regarding "tuning" up LP12! Please! I suspect the HDX is quite simple when viewed in that light.

Me - I want absolute musical performance - beyond CD (which was always a compromised format). If NAIM can achieve this with the HD product line - i.e. clearly exceeding their CD player range - I'll happy go this route. If not - I'll happy look at Lavry, Lessloss - I'm already a Mac user Smile

Finally - hats off the the NAIM for maintaining an open Forum. This is a dangerous thing - very much a double edge sword.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by John R.
I now run my HDX since 5 days and it is getting better day by day. Installing it and integration in the network is plug and play. Up to now I used it with its inbuilt HD and USB sticks containing hi resolution files.

It is a great product and a joy operating it and listen to it. My CDX 2 will be sold in the very near future since I prefer the HDX soundwise when it comes to play my CD collection.
quote:
quote:
jon, did you make sure you have the ground switch on the rear is in the right position, if you have a naim cd connected at the sametime this should be on floating, this makes a huge difference to the sound.

mine is in default position, whatever that is. I will check tomorrow . Plus it will have had another day to warm up!

"huge difference" is an understatement. My switch was in the default chassis ground position, moving it to "float" took away spadefuls of nasties -- the tinny smearing HF became hugely sweeter and clearer, bass improved. Etc etc etc.

There is room on the documentation for some extra clarity though. The quick start manual says:

"Unless connecting to a system that includes another earthed source component (a Naim CD player, DVD player or AV processor for example), switch the rear panel Signal Ground to Chassis. The Signal Ground switch should be set to Floating if mains hum is heard through the speakers or if the audio system includes another earthed source item"

which is clear up to a point, lord copper.

I guess the question is this - which naim products are floating and which are chassis earthed? Just CD, DVD sources? How is "AV Processor" a "source"? Is a preamp like my 52 a "source" by the same logic?

I'm just a bear of little brain... easily confused... Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by paremus:
Finally - hats off the the NAIM for maintaining an open Forum. This is a dangerous thing - very much a double edge sword.

Actually, its all for the good of Naim, and I know Paul knows that. A company which is strong enough to engage in a full and frank dialog with its customers is a company which has a future, not just a past. A forum like this can sit like a heavy weight on a small company like Naim, but with considered moderation there is no downside and only upside.
quote:
Originally posted by John R.:
I now run my HDX since 5 days and it is getting better day by day.

How do you have your earth switch set?
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by John R.
Mine is set to "float" due to my CDX 2 being still connected to my pre.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by Klout10
quote:
Mine is set to "float" due to my CDX 2 being still connected to my pre.

What if you have a NAT05 connected to e.g. a SuperNait?

Regards,
Michel
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by u5227470736789439
quote:
I now run my HDX since 5 days and it is getting better day by day. Installing it and integration in the network is plug and play. Up to now I used it with its inbuilt HD and USB sticks containing hi resolution files.

It is a great product and a joy operating it and listen to it. My CDX 2 will be sold in the very near future since I prefer the HDX soundwise when it comes to play my CD collection.

If the HDX is employed as I suspect it was intended, then no doubt it works perfectly well!

Thanks for a sane post on the subject!

After that the only consideration is price versus performance compared to other HD solutions, and that will only be well assessed for each individual by properly auditioning of the options.

George
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by kuma
quote:

Its child play!! Try it for yourself.

Paul.

I did.

Liked the UI very much.
If I could use it, anybody can.

A nice job.
Posted on: 21 August 2008 by rupert bear
The HDX white paper states that when connected to an external power supply (e.g. XPS), the internal toroidal transformer continues to be used to control the microprocessor circuits. Can someone tell me if this is also true of the CDX2?