ATC SCM11s: any alternatives?

Posted by: Kevin-W on 16 October 2018

Guys and gals:

I have finally decided to upgrade (but keep) my beloved old Heybrook HB1s (bought at the end of 1984 from the old Sound Org shop at London Bridge).

With £1,500 to spend (including stands)  a visit to my dealer earlier yielded the suggestion of ATC SCM11s. Nice and compact, decent WAF scores and rave reviews. I've heard them in another context and was pretty wowed by them.

I've got a listening room demo booked for next week, with the option of taking them home for a week or two before buying. I don't really want to spend weeks faffing about comparing speakers and I don't have a penny more than £1,500 to spend. Once I hear something that has the qualities of the HB1s - fun, speed, leanness etc - but better, that's what I'll buy. (And if the ATCs don't offer a massive improvement on what I've already got, I might replace my Lingo 2 with a Lingo 4 instead...)

However if anyone has any suggestions (my dealer also stocks B&W - I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the B&Ws I've heard, I think they're boring - Rega, PMC, Neat, Dynaudio, Focal - not a fan - and Linn speakers) that I might audition within my budget, they'll be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Mulberry

Hi Kevin,

nice to see that you found your new speakers. I had a pair of these a few months ago and really wanted to like them. But they never came to life in my room, which seems to be even trickier than my old one. Based on what I heard here, I would have never recommended them,  the (less expensive) Guru QM 10 were noticeably better. 

All this doesn’t matter, of course. You like how they work at your place and that’s all that counts.

Unless you plan to paint your walls soon, I’d say go for the grey finish. It’s a nice one and should age well. The red ones are beautiful as well, but perhaps better suited for less colorful surroundings.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

What does everyone think? Woulds red (as pictured here) or grey work best in this room?

Can't think why you might have been attracted to that red finish, Kev. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by spurrier sucks

You live once. Red! Make a statement. 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Kevin-W

OK, so earlier this afternoon I went to Oranges & Lemons (my dealer) and ordered the Special 40s in grey. They should be here before the New Year.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by MDS

Presumably you enquired about a special order in claret & blue before settling for grey, Kev?

[@mention:12970396060785205]

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by pete T15

Fantastic !!! Should be some NY Party then ..!!

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Quad 33

Which New Year K ?? Seriously hope you have many many  happy hrs with your new speakers enjoying your newly discovered record collection. Also I will be in Lodon over Christmas would be good if we could maybe meet up for a drink.

ATB G

[@mention:12970396058110165] That would be great - I've just emailed you.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Stevee_S

Great stuff, Kevin, congratulations you have much to look forward to.