To impress friends and family with systems

Posted by: FangfossFlyer on 01 December 2018

The following from the monthly newsletter email from Naim made me think:

“We're incredibly excited for the festive period, we're sure you'll agree it's the perfect chance to impress friends and family with new systems!”

Do you buy your system to impress others?

As for me this is the last thing on my mind!

Richard

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Tamarin

The questions about cost reminds me of something I read on this forum some time ago. Paraphrasing...

'My greatest fear, is that when I pass on, my wife will sell my audio system for what I told her I paid for it'

p.s. Is Naim gear available in the great beyond?

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by feeling_zen
Tamarin posted:

The questions about cost reminds me of something I read on this forum some time ago. Paraphrasing...

'My greatest fear, is that when I pass on, my wife will sell my audio system for what I told her I paid for it'

p.s. Is Naim gear available in the great beyond?

At the pearly gates you shall be judged by a man in white flowing robes who says, "Thou had an 'impressive' hifi".

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Tamarin

By the way...

Of course, I am into hifi for my own enjoyment, but will freely admit that it's nice to get a positive reaction from visitors (are we all taking the marketing schpiel too seriously?)

We had friends over recently. They seemed to be enjoying the background music, so I turned it up a bit.

The wife said "Wow - I feel like the musicians are going to leap into the room through the drapes!"  (which cover the picture window on the front wall behind my speakers).

The husband added "Indeed - but I don't understand why it takes six boxes to achieve the effect."

I decided not to correct him, as he had undercounted somewhat.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Mike1951

I’m beginning to see the Muso and the ‘Uniti’ range asa sort of ‘gateway’ drug... ????

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Polarbear
tonym posted:

"So what do all these boxes do then?"

"I could tell you, but you'd be asleep in five seconds"

"So what's the purpose?"

"Well, it's a sort of larger iPod"

"Oh, plays music then. Bet it must cost nearly £10K!"

"A bit more than that. £10K wouldn't buy one of the main units new. Maybe second-hand..."

"I see...Anyway, what are you doing for Christmas this year?"

You forgot "my Alexa can do all that and its so much easier :-) "

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by tonym
Polarbear posted:
tonym posted:

"So what do all these boxes do then?"

"I could tell you, but you'd be asleep in five seconds"

"So what's the purpose?"

"Well, it's a sort of larger iPod"

"Oh, plays music then. Bet it must cost nearly £10K!"

"A bit more than that. £10K wouldn't buy one of the main units new. Maybe second-hand..."

"I see...Anyway, what are you doing for Christmas this year?"

You forgot "my Alexa can do all that and its so much easier :-) "

Indeed PB! 

A conversation with Mother-In-Law Mk 1 - " Why have you got all those ugly boxes Tony? Hilary (other daughter) has got that neat little unit that sits in a corner. Much nicer!"

"Does it sound good then?"

"Don't know, I've never heard it. Don't think Hilary listens to it much either..."

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Clive B
Iconoclast posted:

Ask yourself the following question (and be honest): If you were living alone and NEVER had any family or visitors at your place would you still be as inclined to pursue this hobby to the same extent?

What hobby? I’ve read the word ‘hobby’ a few times in this thread, which may actually be repeat quotes of the above post. Do you mean listening to music in the home? If so, then yes, of course I would - I’m a music lover (although some might question my tastes at times). But I can’t see that as a ‘hobby’, per se.

I don’t think collecting records, CDs, tapes etc. can really be considered a hobby either; at least not in the same way as, say, collecting stamps is a hobby.  Maybe I’m wrong and that is what you meant, but whatever, I’d still continue buying those (more space for storage!). 

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Rich 1

The only reason my wife and I buy or upgrade is to impress our self's. So as we both love music especially when live, in all its forms, all the equipment has to do is sound close to a live performance. Rich 

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Obsydian

I have found to an audiophiles, the endless stack of boxes does nothing to impress, but the single box solutions like the Uniti range is a very different matter.

However, they are more impressed with the style, then the sound and the lack of clutter.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Please drop the responses to Iconoclast. The point has been made.

I'm just as bothered by the initial issue that Nam Marketing believe we buy this stuff as part of some kind of willy-waving contest, when the reality is that music is a very personal thing that isn't really shared. I don't know anyone who's desperate to sit through a whole of one my Yes albums, or even acknowledge that Radio 2 in HD sounds tremendous esp when compared to the DAB radio in the kitchen. But I'm more bothered that grown adults think that the phrase 'incredibly excited for the festive period' is in any way applicable to the sort of people who've got to to the point in life where buying Naim gear is the norm. Maybe it's just me, but wildly excited and festive period don't go together, unless end of is included in there somewhere. And even then it's more of a satisfied smile when the tree finally goes down. Bah humbug n all that.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
ChrisR_EPL posted:

. But I'm more bothered that grown adults think that the phrase 'incredibly excited for the festive period' is in any way applicable to the sort of people who've got to to the point in life where buying Naim gear is the norm. 

But surely the whole point of the advert is to attract new people, there being no point targeting those already converted/committed and on the upgrade path, and so they need to try to think of something that will catch the imagination of people not currently buying Naim. Whether that will do it, of course, is another matter - a question of what is effective advertising - and a mystery to me!

Obsydian posted:

I have found to an audiophiles, the endless stack of boxes does nothing to impress, but the single box solutions like the Uniti range is a very different matter.

However, they are more impressed with the style, then the sound and the lack of clutter.

And what is it with “clutter” today? Architect designed minimalist houses on ‘Grand Designs” etc just don’t look comfortable or ‘homely’. Give me a decent smattering if clutter any day, just not too untidy (but that diesn’t Make me like industrial-looking ranked racks of identical black boxes!).

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL
Innocent Bystander posted:

But surely the whole point of the advert is to attract new people, there being no point targeting those already converted/committed and on the upgrade path, and so they need to try to think of something that will catch the imagination of people not currently buying Naim. Whether that will do it, of course, is another matter - a question of what is effective advertising - and a mystery to me!

Fair point IB but the marketing was in copy aimed at current owners who might be keen to show off their systems, not in a wider campaign to the open market. Advertising has always been a case of throwing large amounts of mud at a wall and hoping that some sticks. The art was identifying how best to throw it and what sort of mud to use, to increase the chances.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bart
Obsydian posted:

I'm 1000% convinced that my future holds us owning a fantastic one-box "system."  Maybe with active speakers...who knows.  Until then I'm enjoying exploring a bit of the Naim universe, having relied on their integrated amps for several years and now enjoying experiencing what the separates bring. Acquiring them gently used softens the financial impact, as does the ability to trade them back and/or sell them off outright.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by naim_nymph
Obsydian posted:

And what is it with “clutter” today? Architect designed minimalist houses on ‘Grand Designs” etc just don’t look comfortable or ‘homely’. Give me a decent smattering if clutter any day, just not too untidy (but that diesn’t Make me like industrial-looking ranked racks of identical black boxes!).

I can just hear Kevin McCloud saying, “We're incredibly excited for the festive period, we're sure you'll agree it's the perfect chance to impress friends and family with your Grand Design home!”

And who wouldn't be impressed with a monstrous carbuncle on the landscape that looks like a cross between an over large garden planked shed and enormously double glazed uPVC windowed fish tank, with a kitchen that looks like a vivisection laboratory, and lounge with the warmth of a dentists waiting room : /

Obsydian posted:

We love that architecture, and several times have contemplated mid-20th-century modern homes, that would require a quite minimalist interior.  However it seems to be human nature to 'gather' and build a nest around ourselves. It can be resisted but that alone takes effort.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by stuart.ashen

Chrisr-epl,

I always listen to whole Yes albums. Doesn’t everyone?

Bart posted:

We love that architecture, and several times have contemplated mid-20th-century modern homes, that would require a quite minimalist interior.  However it seems to be human nature to 'gather' and build a nest around ourselves. It can be resisted but that alone takes effort.

I’m at a loss as to why one should ‘resist’. Minimalism for its own sake isn’t for me! But I can and do appreciate so e ‘minimalistic’ design - which I think of more as simple (not in a negative sense) or understated.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Clive B
stuart.ashen posted:

Chrisr-epl,

Is there any other way?!

stuart.ashen posted:

Chrisr-epl,

Yep, almost never just part.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Jonners

What I think we've seen is a rapid dominance of the entry-level and mid-range hi-fi market by manufacturers like Sonos and even Amazon and Google which are making music accessible and convenient at a reasonable price. The high-end hi-fi industry isn't really helping itself IMHO. From the magazines which feature reviews geared towards enthusiasts, dripping with technical content to the dealers which insist on an appointment before a prospect comes in, it smacks of elitism. No matter what companies like Naim and Linn et al do, as long as they're charging big money for their products, theirs will be a niche market. Even a product like the Uniti is expensive compared to competitors. Sure, cheaper products won't sound as good but they'll sound "good enough". To sell to a wider audience the answer can only be to make products that cost less with a more mass-market appeal. Or maybe target some developers who are putting up multi-million Pound luxury developments and sell them discreet, multi-room, state-of-the art hi-fi systems to include as part of the overall package. Just like Naim did with Bentley.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Peder
Obsydian posted:

the endless stack of boxes does nothing to impress, but the single box solutions like the Uniti range is a very different matter.

???? Obsydian,....Just like at the beginning of the 1980-century,..Who does not remember the classical music-system....

?Linn LP12,Naim Nait and Linn Kan.

Minimalist,impressive,..everyone was amazed at how well it performed musically.
Here in Sweden it felt like,..that "all" had that music-system.

/Peder ????

Bart posted:

I’m at a loss as to why one should ‘resist’. Minimalism for its own sake isn’t for me! But I can and do appreciate so e ‘minimalistic’ design - which I think of more as simple (not in a negative sense) or understated.

As for design itself, the Naim black boxes represent this sort of industrial design to me and one reason I appreciate them.  Compare to say Macintosh with huge VU meters, etc.

Why should one resist? Yes it's psychology and too complicated and yes some people torture themselves about it.  I'm NOT a self-torturer thats for sure!

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Mike-B

100% agree the simple industrial design (your words Bart)  is just a classic understated elegance,  this is true of both black box & olive, although for me the two don’t mix.     Although I don’t see the same with the NAP500 & Statement,  hints of ugly (IMO)

Also agree the ugly unessesary usless VU meters of Macintosh & the facia festooned switch, push buttons & twiddle knobs so favoured by the far east designs.   

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by cat345

What will really catch the attention of friends and family is the sight of a turntable, no matter the size of the speakers or the number of boxes !