To impress friends and family with systems

Posted by: FangfossFlyer on 01 December 2018

The following from the monthly newsletter email from Naim made me think:

“We're incredibly excited for the festive period, we're sure you'll agree it's the perfect chance to impress friends and family with new systems!”

Do you buy your system to impress others?

As for me this is the last thing on my mind!

Richard

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Tabby cat
naim_nymph posted

I can just hear Kevin McCloud saying, “We're incredibly excited for the festive period, we're sure you'll agree it's the perfect chance to impress friends and family with your Grand Design home!”

And who wouldn't be impressed with a monstrous carbuncle on the landscape that looks like a cross between an over large garden planked shed and enormously double glazed uPVC windowed fish tank, with a kitchen that looks like a vivisection laboratory, and lounge with the warmth of a dentists waiting room : /

Thanks Debs

Brought a big smile and laugh especially about the Kitchens.Totally agree they are not cosy places in my eyes anyway.....sterile and souless,I would be scared about making a mess.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Geoff C

Thinking about the OP's original question, it's always about the music/performance I want to grab the attention of friends and family, and if they take an interest in the system then sorry but I can't help but be enthusiastic about it!

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

Whenever I have friends over I like to impress them by loudly playing my burn in and demagnetise track.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Guinnless

LOL @TOBYJUG

You need to play some music that they like.  But would you do an assessment first of what they do like first?

"Have you got the Spice Girls - Wanabee?"  or whatever it's called.
"Err, no.  Sorry"

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Ardbeg10y

This was the marketing vomit which was dumped in my mailbox today by a software company:

On behalf of [software company name], we appreciate your business and the opportunity to provide you with high-quality, innovative software and services. As part of our ongoing commitment to customer success, we regularly release updated versions of our products. Today, we are pleased to announce that [software name] is now available for On Premise and SaaS customers.

Then follows a list of new features nobody ever asked for which also implies that all the things which customers were asking for, did not reach even the mind of the designers.

In a previous life, I was working for that company and we had a CEO who messed up every deal with customers since he thought that his software was too good for the customer. Quite the opposite ...

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Ardbeg10y
feeling_zen posted:
Tamarin posted:

The questions about cost reminds me of something I read on this forum some time ago. Paraphrasing...

'My greatest fear, is that when I pass on, my wife will sell my audio system for what I told her I paid for it'

p.s. Is Naim gear available in the great beyond?

At the pearly gates you shall be judged by a man in white flowing robes who says, "Thou had an 'impressive' hifi".

Then Julian V will step forward and say: 'he is mine, I have payed his debts - he is now set free to sing Chants from the Salisbury rite for those evil Linn owners in purgatory forever and ever.'

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Jonners
Ardbeg10y posted:

In a previous life, I was working for that company and we had a CEO who messed up every deal with customers since he thought that his software was too good for the customer. Quite the opposite ...

Me too, I've worked for several software start-ups and like family-run businesses I've also worked for, they're generally run by extremely hard-working, egocentric, megalomaniacs for whom being in business is all about them and their product. Customers are a distant concern. Anyway, that's probably a subject for a separate post but I think the point of this is it's important to understand who your customer is and give them what they want, not what you think they want.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by MDS
TOBYJUG posted:

Whenever I have friends over I like to impress them by loudly playing my burn in and demagnetise track.

Surely your guests would be more impressed if you got your burndy out and showed them how you massage it 

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bart
TOBYJUG posted:

When I was at university one of my flat mates had an LP (I cant remember what it was) that was just awful music. But when it was 2 am and we wanted to clear the place of visitors, we'd put that on the hi fi and mysteriously everyone would leave . . . it came in REALLY handy and we did this more than once, to effect!

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

A good friend who loves his music, although on a computer iTunes table top and sub system lent me a sizeable chunk of his classic CDs for me to rip. Ahem..

Last year when having a New Years get together round mine I put on a nice playlist of the greatest from such. He was most impressed and said that it sounded lovely.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Biddler66

I am pretty new to the whole naim thing, I have had a uniti for just over a year which I loved but after hearing multiple box set up have ordered some and am going down that route. My other passions are watches and cars, neither of which I would buy because of an advert or slogan so why would I my music set up ? Like all on here, you do your research, find out what you like and then jump in. If I was in the marketing dept it would be all about highlighting the quality rather than corporate speak.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

You mean you haven’t bought a Black Bay because David Beckham wears one? In the adverts anyway. 

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by kevin J Carden
Ardbeg10y posted:

This was the marketing vomit which was dumped in my mailbox today by a software company:

On behalf of [software company name], we appreciate your business and the opportunity to provide you with high-quality, innovative software and services. As part of our ongoing commitment to customer success, we regularly release updated versions of our products. Today, we are pleased to announce that [software name] is now available for On Premise and SaaS customers.

Then follows a list of new features nobody ever asked for which also implies that all the things which customers were asking for, did not reach even the mind of the designers.

Not a rich source for Buzzword Bingo, but, as you suggest, banal nonsense. ‘Ongoing Commitment’ is so 2007 ! The marketing folk really need to wise up (sorry for the buzzphrase!) and realise that customers have heard too much of their trite nonsense for it to be counterproductive and a sure fire way to identify hollowness. Try something original and genuine rather than regurgitate hack gibberish. Naim marketing department take note. Reimagine your marketing approach..

Clearly they need to take a bite of the reality sandwich. 

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL
hungryhalibut posted:

And dig deep into the suitcase of courage.

Whoops; that's a Paul Sherwin quote.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by ChrisSU
kevin J Carden posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

Not a rich source for Buzzword Bingo, but, as you suggest, banal nonsense. ‘Ongoing Commitment’ is so 2007 ! The marketing folk really need to wise up (sorry for the buzzphrase!) and realise that customers have heard too much of their trite nonsense for it to be counterproductive and a sure fire way to identify hollowness. Try something original and genuine rather than regurgitate hack gibberish. Naim marketing department take note. Reimagine your marketing approach..

I sometimes feel inclined to like companies with inept marketing - it makes me think they might be directing their talents toward making something I want to buy.

No, it simply means they have inept marketing. 

ChrisR_EPL posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

And dig deep into the suitcase of courage.

Whoops; that's a Paul Sherwin quote.

A manager at work - the head of bollocks or some such useful role - once asked me to go and kick the tyres on a project. I enquired whether he would like me to gather some low hanging fruit while I was out there. He never spoke to me again. Result. 

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by nigelb

As long as they are not tempted to take money from R & D and put it into marketing. That I could not forgive.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Richieroo

TonyM .... I have had all these comments ........ I give in ........... part of the problem ... is the shrine like stack ... which most people find very intimidating.  I think in the near future ........ a very good active speaker with dsp like the Kii 3 driven by say the ND555 directly would be very impressive........or move the shrine into its own adjoining room - out of sight........

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by sunbeamgls

A very interesting thread.

As a long term contributor to the now dead Linn forum, I learned something from its closure that might be relevant here. As contributors to a forum, we're obviously passionate about the product and possibly the company and we like to think our opinions are heard and are valuable. We hope it is seen as representative of the customer base.

But the reality is very different. I would expect, like the Linn forum, somewhat less than 5% of customers contribute here. I hope Naim will continue to support this forum and treat the inputs with the respect and seriousness they deserve, but we do need to recognise that we're a small niche within a small market.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Agreed Sunbeam. The forum is for the Praetorian Guard.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Dan Steel

F*** friends and neighbours, as long as my ears are impressed, I’m OK ????

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Dan Steel posted:

F*** friends and neighbours,

You are clearly surrounded by very liberal people, if that is what you do.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by feeling_zen
Christopher_M posted:

Agreed Sunbeam. The forum is for the Praetorian Guard.

Hey! some of us are still in our 30s (just).