Brexit or Bust !!

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 01 January 2019

With only 88 days to go before the biggest collective decision that most of us here in the UK will ever experience....... what will happen !!

My prediction is :

TM with press her current deal + "assurance" about the "NI Backstop" and put it to a Parliamentary vote

Parliament will reject this deal/assurance, then

Parliament will reject leaving without a deal

Then Either :-

A Motion of No-Confidence will be approved and a General Election will follow or

A Motion to Withdraw Article 50 will be approved and we will start over. (I rather like this idea)

One final possibility .....

The Gov friggs about for 88 days and we don't wake up until 30th March .... ie we SLEEPWALK out of the EU

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by winkyincanada
Drewy posted:
winkyincanada posted:
Drewy posted:

Cry me a river 

Seriously? That little empathy? You can't even pretend to care about others?

In what way should I care? Nobody cares about me and my opinions. 

I care about my family, friends and myself. 

And there it is.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Clive B
naim_nymph posted:

Breaking News!

The Seaboard Freight ferry docked into Ramsgate today. Spokesman said cross-channel trials are doing very well.

Bloody people traffickers!

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Clay Bingham

Whichever way the Brexit issue is finally resolved, and given that the anger expressed by both sides in this thread is probably representative of the country as a whole, one can’t help but think it will take your country a very long time to heal. Sad.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Don Atkinson
Clay Bingham posted:

Whichever way the Brexit issue is finally resolved, and given that the anger expressed by both sides in this thread is probably representative of the country as a whole, one can’t help but think it will take your country a very long time to heal. Sad.

Clay,

I don't think this thread, or the other two threads, are representative of the divisions between Leavers and Remainers. Fortunately. Perhaps West Berkshire, North Hampshire and Wiltshire are more easy going than the rest of the nation, but I doubt it !

And the media, as usual, hype things up and do their best to showcase the worst aspects of the two sides.

As an aside, there was a news item here in the UK yesterday about the widespread, diabolical drug and homeless related problems in Vancouver. You most certainly wouldn't plan a visit to Vancouver after watching that item. But we visit a couple of times a year and I bet winky doesn't feel unduly nervous, even on dark winter nights.

Cheers, Don

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Ravenswood10
Stephen packer posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

The BBC showed a clip of Rees-Mogg and his children being nastily harangued by Remainers on his doorstep a couple of evenings ago. I can’t give you time, date or channel, but am sure the Beeb will oblige if asked!

I would agree that the haranguing of Rees-Mogg on his doorstep wasn't acceptable.

However, what Anna Soubry suffered is a degree worse than this, she was surrounded by a group of aggressive men who blocked her path into parliament while the police watched.  It is not equivalent to what Rees-Mogg suffered.

I just wish he’d step up to the plate and show some real leadership if he has anything to say. Personally I find him and the dreaded Boris deeply irritating. Upper class eccentricity isn’t what this country needs right now.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by jlarsson
Don Atkinson posted:
Clay Bingham posted:

Clay,

I don't think this thread, or the other two threads, are representative of the divisions between Leavers and Remainers. Fortunately. Perhaps West Berkshire, North Hampshire and Wiltshire are more easy going than the rest of the nation, but I doubt it !

And the media, as usual, hype things up and do their best to showcase the worst aspects of the two sides.

As an aside, there was a news item here in the UK yesterday about the widespread, diabolical drug and homeless related problems in Vancouver. You most certainly wouldn't plan a visit to Vancouver after watching that item. But we visit a couple of times a year and I bet winky doesn't feel unduly nervous, even on dark winter nights.

Cheers, Don

Showing my age, and speaking of Canada, by quoting Marshall McLuhan who pretty much saw this coming long before the internet or Brexit. When he speaks of violence it does not refer to physical aggression only.

"Instantaneous, universal communication is at least as likely to breed nationalism, xenophobia, and cultism as it is to breed harmony and fellow-feeling. As media dissolve individual identity, people rush to join “little groups” as a way to reestablish a sense of themselves, and they’ll go to extremes to defend their group identity, sometimes twisting the medium to their ends.

Ordinary people find the need for violence as they lose their identities. It is only the threat to people’s identity that makes them violent.

At this moment, we are on the air. We do not have any physical body. When you’re on the telephone or on radio or on T.V., you don’t have a physical body — you’re just an image on the air. When you don’t have a physical body, you’re a discarnate being. You have a very different relation to the world around you. I think this has been one of the big effects of the electric age. It has deprived people really of their identity."

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Clay Bingham
Don Atkinson posted:
Clay Bingham posted:

Clay,

Cheers, Don

Good point Don. So true.

Just been reading the Bercow ruling. Wow, an even more interesting next couple of weeks. 

Best of luck Don and to all.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Clive B
Clay Bingham posted:

I sincerely hope that once the process is over, whatever the outcome, we can pull together as a nation and show to the world that we can take this in our stride and demonstrate how great Great Britain (and Northern Ireland) can be. That will take enormous leadership. Unfortunately, however, I don't see any candidate with the right qualities among the current crop of potentials. Hence, and very sadly, I fear that Clay may be right. But we must all try to be positive, compassionate and respectful of others whatever their position on Brexit prior to 29 March. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y
Clive B posted:
Clay Bingham posted:

I sincerely hope that once the process is over, whatever the outcome, we can pull together as a nation and show to the world that we can take this in our stride and demonstrate how great Great Britain (and Northern Ireland) can be. That will take enormous leadership. Unfortunately, however, I don't see any candidate with the right qualities among the current crop of potentials. Hence, and very sadly, I fear that Clay may be right. But we must all try to be positive, compassionate and respectful of others whatever their position on Brexit prior to 29 March. 

I am afraid that only an attack on the Falklands by Argentina can re-unite you all.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Ardbeg10y posted:
Clive B posted:
Clay Bingham posted:

I am afraid that only an attack on the Falklands by Argentina can re-unite you all.

I'll ask Richard to transfer this one to the "Funny Jokes" thread

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by MDS

An unhappy couple of days for the PM since Parliament has returned. No indication of the DUP or other MPs changing their pre-Xmas hostility towards her draft exit deal and two successive defeats. MPs seem determined to constrain her brinkmanship and to wrestle some control from HMG. Of course, under the surface there are many different views among MPs so while there maybe a majority to reject her deal, that doesn't mean 'taking control' will result in early agreement on a different path.  

I'm still of the view that an extension to the Art 50 timetable is the most likely decision that we will see following defeat next Tuesday.  I know "No 10 sources" have said she will keep bringing her draft exit agreement back to the HoC umpteen times until MPs endorse it but No 10 seems to be overlooking the role of the Speaker. If TM's deal gets voted down next Tuesday, Bercow would have to be satisfied that if HMG proposed bringing it back for another vote(s), there has been a substantive change in the draft to justify that.  If he were to rule that the HoC had already expressed its view he could block i's return so No 10 would be stuffed. This month is going to be a very interesting one.

Could she “postpone” next week’s vote in the same way that she did in December ?

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by naim_nymph
Don Atkinson posted:

Could she “postpone” next week’s vote in the same way that she did in December ?

After the rejection:

probably waste more time trying to pass it [ again later ] with amendments...

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by kuma
Clive B posted:
naim_nymph posted:

Breaking News!

The Seaboard Freight ferry docked into Ramsgate today. Spokesman said cross-channel trials are doing very well.

Bloody people traffickers!

Build that wall! 

Just kidding. 

I see a similarity to a current US division between dems/GOP.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by thebigfredc

For the benefit of those who reside outside the UK and whom like to poke fun at the image of the UK represented by the media, I can report that everyday life goes on as usual (at least for the time being).

I filled up with petrol and then drove to work yesterday. I saw kids in town on their way to school, I saw lorries on the roads and when I got to work we had electricity and running water. I didn’t hear one mention of Brexit whilst I was there. It was only when I tuned to Radio 4 on the way home that I felt the need to lock the car doors from the inside in anticipation of some kind of Shaun of the Dead mob dragging me from my vehicle. 

Alas nothing so as exciting as that happened so when I got in, we walked the dog, had dinner and Mrs C watched The Xmas Special of Call the Midwife. 

And the world turned.

Ray

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by kuma

Ray,

Same here. But just don't talk about *the subject* with co-workers or at a party if you do not know other's political leaning. The conversation can be quickly heated and turn ugly. I have seen a good friendship got ruined from a heated political argument!

I watched your female MP harassed in public (  the police wasn't helping her either! ), thinking if that happened in the US, a high probability she could be shot by a deranged fanatic... 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by thebigfredc

I think you are missing the point of my post. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
thebigfredc posted:

Which was what? It has missed me completely. You had a normal day - and so what does that mean? 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Drewy

It’s ok Ray. I totally understood your point. I too live in the real world.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by kuma
thebigfredc posted:

I don't think so Ray. I live in the real world, tho, hard to avoid a fake media.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by thebigfredc

IB

I have already asked you to stop jumping on my every word.

My post stands, its tone and meaning is obvious to everyone within the context of thread.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Clive B
kuma posted:

Ray,

Same here. But just don't talk about *the subject* with co-workers or at a party if you do not know other's political leaning. The conversation can be quickly heated and turn ugly. I have seen a good friendship got ruined from a heated political argument!

I watched your female MP harassed in public (  the police wasn't helping her either! ), thinking if that happened in the US, a high probability she could be shot by a deranged fanatic... 

And that would be because of the outdated right to bear arms introduced by the second amendment of your constitution.

Anna Soubry is not the first politician in Britain to have been insulted and harangued in public. She may, however, be the first to have made such a big meal out of it.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Clive B
thebigfredc posted:

For the benefit of those who reside outside the UK and whom like to poke fun at the image of the UK represented by the media, I can report that everyday life goes on as usual (at least for the time being).

I filled up with petrol and then drove to work yesterday. I saw kids in town on their way to school, I saw lorries on the roads and when I got to work we had electricity and running water. I didn’t hear one mention of Brexit whilst I was there. It was only when I tuned to Radio 4 on the way home that I felt the need to lock the car doors from the inside in anticipation of some kind of Shaun of the Dead mob dragging me from my vehicle. 

Alas nothing so as exciting as that happened so when I got in, we walked the dog, had dinner and Mrs C watched The Xmas Special of Call the Midwife. 

And the world turned.

Ray

I hope that life will carry on after the Brexit process (whatever the outcome) just as it did before. We are British and that's what we're good at. Mustn't grumble and all that.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by fatcat
thebigfredc posted:

And the world turned.

Ray

Just a little helping hand, a clue as to what is going on.

WE     ARE     STILL     IN     THE     EU.

Still reaping the benfits.