What concert did you attend in 2018?

Posted by: kuma on 01 January 2018

Starting a new thread for the new year!~

So did anyone go to the New Year's Concert in Vienna?

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Pev

Natalie Merchant at the Komedia, Bath last night. Great voice but almost too relaxed - she kept interupting herself mid song to chat or correct the guitarist.

The venue is crap by the way - it would have to be a very special artist to make me go back there!

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by notnaim man
Pev posted:

Natalie Merchant at the Komedia, Bath last night. Great voice but almost too relaxed - she kept interupting herself mid song to chat or correct the guitarist.

The venue is crap by the way - it would have to be a very special artist to make me go back there!

I agree that Komedia is not the best venue, but I've seen worse. Sometimes I think it is the audience that drags it down, depending on the artist. The last really good gig I saw there was Lau. But I will suggest having a second try when Police Dog Hogan visit in October.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Dave***t
Jonathan H posted:

I’m lucky enough to be on holiday in New York and saw Radiohead at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night.  It was an outstanding show with a near-perfect setlist covering more or less their whole career.

For a minute there, I lost myself...

I managed to get in to one of their Roundhouse shows in London not that long back, having never seen them live before.  Absolutely loved it.

Also, thanks for the reminder that almost exactly a year ago I was in NYC myself for my 40th.

Strangely, there was a musical connection - I listened to a Paul Gambaccini quiz on the radio, and one of the questions was about Sinatra's favourite restaurant, which is still there in New York and has a small statue of him on the bar.  Apparently early in his career, his manager took him to the restaurant and told the owner to 'look after him, he's gonna be a star', or words to that effect.  And they did indeed look after him.  Sinatra never forgot, and kept going back to the place throughout his life.

When they mentioned the name of the place, Patsy's, I thought it'd be nice to go there if ever I got the chance.  After much tribulation - stranded in Frankfurt for a night because of flight delays, my partner getting held up at the US border for hours because apparently there's a criminal who shares her name, and being on crutches for my birthday! - we managed to get to the restaurant.  But after the delayed journey, we hadn't had chance to make reservations, and they were full.  But the waiter took pity on my hobbling, and they set a table up for us in the tiny bar area.  The chef even came out to ask if everything was ok.  We had a great time.

So if you're in Manhattan and in the market for a proper 'Noo Yoik' Italian meal, I can recommend Patsy's

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Woj

Roger Waters in Birmingham a fortnight ago. A very good gig with an excellent, not loud at all, sound quality. I wish all artists had such good sound during their gigs not just 'louder is better'.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by count.d
winkyincanada posted:
count.d posted:

It was Kuma. Being that close, transformed the experience into something very special I shall never forget.

I am simply not well-enough connected to get good concert tickets for big acts. I have given up on ever being able to see Radiohead again.

I'm not well connected Winky. I just choose to spend stupid money and make a lot of effort to see legendary acts before they disappear. Watched Tom Petty on the front row of Hyde Park last year and it was superb. I thought, I can't wait until he comes back again.......teaches one a lesson. I read people moaning about ticket prices and how difficult it is getting tickets. These posts probably quite often come via their iPhone, sitting inside their £30,000 BMW.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Jonathan H

Dave***T

Thank you for the recommendation - we went to Patsy’s this evening.  It was really good and, as you say, authentically New York.

Jonathan

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Big Bill
count.d posted:
winkyincanada posted:
count.d posted:

It was Kuma. Being that close, transformed the experience into something very special I shall never forget.

I am simply not well-enough connected to get good concert tickets for big acts. I have given up on ever being able to see Radiohead again.

I'm not well connected Winky. I just choose to spend stupid money and make a lot of effort to see legendary acts before they disappear. Watched Tom Petty on the front row of Hyde Park last year and it was superb. I thought, I can't wait until he comes back again.......teaches one a lesson. I read people moaning about ticket prices and how difficult it is getting tickets. These posts probably quite often come via their iPhone, sitting inside their £30,000 BMW.

Ya can't get a decent Beema for £30k! 

Seriously though it's because things have changed.  In the past acts made their dosh from record sales and toured at break even or a loss but not anymore; they get very little from record sales these days and have to rely on gigging to get a bit of dosh.

ps and don't take this as an insult, I have never got on with Radiohead, I don't know why but to me all their stuff sounds the same and yet they have a huge fan base.  It just goes to show that for music their are no absolutes.  One of my favourites are 'Nine Inch Nails' and most people I know say they are rubbish.  Another favourite is 'Old blue eyes' and again lots of people say he is just so out of date.  But I love listening to these two acts.

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Dave***t
Jonathan H posted:

Dave***T

Thank you for the recommendation - we went to Patsy’s this evening.  It was really good and, as you say, authentically New York.

Jonathan

Aha, I'm glad you enjoyed it!  Nice feeling to be able to recommend somewhere thousands of miles away and for it to work out well.

Big Bill posted:

ps and don't take this as an insult, I have never got on with Radiohead, I don't know why but to me all their stuff sounds the same and yet they have a huge fan base.  It just goes to show that for music their are no absolutes.  One of my favourites are 'Nine Inch Nails' and most people I know say they are rubbish.  Another favourite is 'Old blue eyes' and again lots of people say he is just so out of date.  But I love listening to these two acts.

There's some great NIN stuff IMO, the earlier stuff takes me back to school.  Same goes for Radiohead.  Sinatra is a more recent thing for me.  But weirdly enough, I'd say that Sinatra and NIN are both more samey than Radiohead.  Nothing to do with good or bad, I like all 3, but over their career Radiohead have been seriously diverse.  And they still pay attention to emerging acts and so on, which is cool.

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Jonathan H

Yes indeed, the internet (and this forum!) can have gratifyingly beneficial aspects from time to time.  Many thanks once again.

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by Dan Steel

Me and Keith attended a blistering gig by the Barr Brothers at the Leaf Liverpool last night. After a drink in the Shipping Forcast we entered the Leaf and had a few more drinks the gig then kicked off with Emma Gatrill
Emma Gatrill is a multi-instrumentalist based in Brighton, UK. She is primarily a harpist, clarinetist and singer. Gatrill has recorded and toured widely as a session musician, including playing clarinet with Laura Marling’s band on Glastonbury’s Pyramid stage performance in 2011, Broken Social Scene on UK festival dates, recording a BBC Radio 6Music session with Samantha Crain and Willy Mason and toured with the likes of This Is The Kit (both as part of their horn section and as main support in Sons of Noel and Adrian, Matthew And The Atlas, Moulettes, Laish, Rachael Dadd, Rozi Plain and more. She did tracks from her brilliant Cocoon album playing just harp her music is a blend of Julia Holter and Joanna Newsom. The songs were beautiful arresting and atmospheric complemented with fine lyrics, which was delivered with a gratifying assembly of delicate compassion and powerful emotion.
The Barr Brother hit the stage around 9pm harpist Sarah Page has recently left the group to do other projects guitarist and singer Brad Barr and his percussionist brother Andrew were joined with a bass player and a guitar and pedal player.
They ripped into their fine catalogue of songs Radio, Defibrillation, Queen of the Breakers etc were all done with superb playing and singing. Two hours of pulsating music flew by and a very appreciated audience were highly entertained. No encore but a great gig.
Keith had to rush off just before the end as he had a train to catch. I stayed around for a while and I bought Emma’s Cocoon album on vinyl which she signed and we chatted for a while, she was very nice. I never bought any Barr Bros stuff as I have all their albums but I chatted to Andrew Barr and he said how much he loved Liverpool and how their music had changed since their gig with Calexico at the Philharmonic Liverpool a few years back, a fine gent he is.
All in all another great gig with Keith.
Next gig... Ethan Johns and Robert Vincent 18 th August at 81 Renshaw Street Liverpool.

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by hungryhalibut

I saw the Yves Lambert Trio in Emsworth last night. They are over from Quebec and last week played to 25,000 at a festival. Last night it was 49, excluding the sound and lighting guys. I help as a volunteer for local concerts in Emsworth, which is nice because you get to meet the bands, and last night I was selling CDs for Yves in the interval and after the show, as well as taking tickets, washing up and stacking chairs. He’s a really nice guy, and the band were brilliant. 

Posted on: 21 July 2018 by Nigel 66

Del Amitri at Newcastle City Hall. Band were good and played a really good mix of their songs.

The support band were the Trashcan Sinatras - not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.

I'd forgotten how bad the venue was too. Seats are tiny and cramped and boy was it hot! 

However, still enjoyed the evening.

Posted on: 21 July 2018 by kuma
count.d posted:

I'm not well connected Winky. I just choose to spend stupid money and make a lot of effort to see legendary acts before they disappear.

Was it *stupid money* as Elton John Concert at Allstate Arena in Chicago 3rd row main stage for 5k? He told me 1st row price is even stupider. lol. I *might* just do that if someone can bring Toscanini and Horowitz or young Beethoven back from the dead.

Posted on: 21 July 2018 by Chunky

In relation to Dan Steel's post above, I have recently discovered the Barr Brothers and I am very impressed.  Sorry to hear that Sarah Page has left the band as, playing the harp, she gave the band a slightly unusual sound.

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by Dan Steel

Had the privilege to see a legend last night...Graham Nash
Performing songs from his vast catalogue at the Philharmonic Hall Liverpool.
As I’m writing this review I am still in awe after being highly entertained by a great performance from a musician who’s music I have enjoyed for over 50 years from the Hollies, CSN, CSNY, CN to his solo work.
Graham took the stage with Shane Fontayne guitar and vocals and Todd Caldwell keyboards and vocals while Graham played acoustic guitar and Keyboards.
They kicked off with Wasted On The Way which was superb and set the audience up for his great list of songs. They were all there.. Marrakesh Express, I Used To Be A King, Immigration Man etc were all reeled off with Graham talking about each song and how it evolved. Hollies song Bus Stop was aptly performed as was a great cover of the Beatles A Day In The Life. Two hours of superb music was followed by an encore of Buddy Holly’s Everyday and Teach Your Childern.
I left the gig with a hugh grin on my face and felt very humbled and privileged to have seen a legend.

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by Gazza

Great review Dan, will play some Nash today

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by yeti42

We just got back from Moreton in Marsh and last night’s Ariadne auf Naxos at Longborough, second and last visit this year. Excellent singing, particularly enjoyed Robyn Allegra Parton’s Zerbinetta and the trio of nymphs but surpassed by the orchestra under Anthony Negas who get better every visit.

Next year there is Don Giovanni, Anna Bolena, La Calisto (Cavelli) and Rhinegold, the latter leading up to a full ring cycle in 2023. 

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

Just came back from Jazz Am See - which is practically in my back garden and it was fantastic. First part of the concert with Torsten Goods and band and guests Magnus Lindgren, Randy Brecker and China Moses.

The 2nd part was with the Candy Dulfer band.

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by count.d
kuma posted:
count.d posted:

I'm not well connected Winky. I just choose to spend stupid money and make a lot of effort to see legendary acts before they disappear.

Was it *stupid money* as Elton John Concert at Allstate Arena in Chicago 3rd row main stage for 5k? He told me 1st row price is even stupider. lol. I *might* just do that if someone can bring Toscanini and Horowitz or young Beethoven back from the dead.

Ahh no, not anything like 5K Kuma. The Stones were a "Pit" ticket, so £400. There's only The Stones at their age and Pink Floyd I'd pay that for. Oh, I forgot the £400 had a processing fee added on, so yeah, probably 5K if I checked on my credit card statement haha.

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:

Just came back from Jazz Am See - which is practically in my back garden and it was fantastic. First part of the concert with Torsten Goods and band and guests Magnus Lindgren, Randy Brecker and China Moses.

The 2nd part was with the Candy Dulfer band.

With video impression..

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by ChrisH

Lunar Festival, Warwickshire, Sat. 28th July

This is just a small festival, 5000 capacity I think, but as it’s so close to where I live, decided to head down for the day. There’s a lot of stuff going on around the site, but it feels almost like a village fete, really friendly atmosphere. There are several different areas where you can catch bands, comedy and talk, but I guess the main action takes place on the main ‘Lunar’ stage and the smaller ‘Half Moon’ stage next to each other.

Friday saw Amadou & Mariam headline, whilst today sees The Stranglers and Songhoy Blues playing.

Saturday had Goldfrapp headlining, with some really good bands earlier such as Crazy P (great disco funk soul sound), The Heliocentrics (really unusual soundscape type music, don’t know how else to describe it!) and Mother’s Earth Experiment (jazz/psychedelic band from Brum). Must be honest, not heard too much before from many of the bands on the bill, and definitely preferred Crazy P to Goldfrapp, but Goldfrapp did grow on me through the set.

All in all a really good day, despite the rain putting a dampener on things during the afternoon, but the sun did come out to play for the evenings proceedings, which capped things off nicely.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Cliffh

Del Amitri at Hammersmith Apollo last Thursday.  Beautiful venue - very tastefully restored.  Seats were fine.  Not that anyone was sitting down.  They should be back again in 2022.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

Will see Ed Sheeran in München tonight with 60.000 other people....

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Eoink

I saw Graham Nash at the Lowry last night, I feel much as Dan did last week. He opened with wasted on the way, and went through a set of great songs, what a catalogue of music he has given us. The two sidiss are stunning musicians, Fontayne is a guitarist who plays just exactly what is needed and no more, with great beauty, and they harmonise well with Nash. The gig being in his original home town friends and family  were in the audience, and he was visibly moved by their presence after a couple of the more personal songs. One of the great songwriters, he’s still got it vocally, the gig was a joy and a privilege from start to finish, 4 standing ovations were well deserved. My gig of 2018 to date, and it’ll take something totally extraordinary to surpass this.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

The concert with Ed Sheeran was quite good. He called himself and an entertainer he is. He is just on his own on the podium with his guitar and lopping electronics. And keeeps the audience 2 hours entertained. I am not a die hard Ed Sheeran fan, but it was enjoyable.... will be interesting to see what the next album will bring. As I have the feeling that he would need to evolve his style to stay popular. Perhaps also with a supporting band or artist. Some impressions in pictures below...