World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 20 May 2018

As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France have just gotten worse and become an embarassment.

Hopefully though Gareth Southgates youthful looking squad can change all that and play without the fear that seemed to infect our squads in recent tournaments.  Whatever we should be in store for some great football, I wonder who will be the surprise team, who will be the youngster that excites us all and who will win the Golden Boot this time round?

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by tonym
TK421 posted:

England win in a convincing manner both score and performance wise.

It would also be good to see a few different players scoring and not just Mr Kane.

Your wishes have been granted!

What a shower the Panama team are. Such a Terrible attitude, they deserve a good drubbing.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by fatcat

The fourth goal was ridiculous, why waste a set piece move like that when you're 3 nil up. They should have saved it for the semis or final.????

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by TK421

Excellent first 45 minutes from England and yes my wishes have been granted.

Can they get to double figures?

I reckon Pickford might score before the full time whistle blows.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

And we are through - well done lads.

Glad Panama got their first ever World Cup goal.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by MDS

Wow! Who wouldn't have taken that score before the game?  

I think the thing that pleased me most about England's performance is that we looked a constant threat from set-pieces. Can't remember when we last looked that threatening.  Still not convinced by Sterling but, hey, that's just being picky on what was a stunning performance.  

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Congrats to the England supporters. I look even more forward to Belgium Vs England now.

Poor old Poland. Before the tournament I'd rather hoped to see them meet Russia at some point. That would be a game with real passion.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by wenger2015

Unfortunately Poland have looked second best from the start of the game.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by TK421

I would suggest that England do everything they possibly can in order to avoid Columbia in the last 16.

Columbia were absolutely superb plus no persistent reckless challenges or diving and rolling around antics.

Today the World Cup has started proper.

Yes. And fourth best in the group.

Still, given our performance today I think we should be happy to take any of them on in the last sixteen.  

Shame about Poland there will be lots of sad faces on site this morning my barber who is also Polish really had high hopes for this team. Colombia though were excellent and fully deserved the win.

Four matches today Saudi Arabia v Egypt first and then Russia v Uruguay which will be a much tougher test for Russia next up Iran v Portugal where Ronaldo will be looking to bulk his goal tally up for the Golden Boot  and at the same time the match I think I will watch is Spain, Morocco which should be very interesting.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

Well what a day of great football and excitement yesterday was, Ronaldo's missed penalty, Iran's VAR awarded penalty that wasn't and could have seen them knock out Spain if they had taken that late chance and similtaneously Morocco where leading Spain 2-1 when a Spanish goal in injury time  first disallowed for offside was then awarded                                after VAR saw them avoid a second round match against the very strong Uruguay and draw Russia instead . Fantastic !!!

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by wenger2015
Bob the Builder posted:

Well what a day of great football and excitement yesterday was, Ronaldo's missed penalty, Iran's VAR awarded penalty that wasn't and could have seen them knock out Spain if they had taken that late chance and similtaneously Morocco where leading Spain 2-1 when a Spanish goal in injury time  first disallowed for offside was then awarded                                after VAR saw them avoid a second round match against the very strong Uruguay and draw Russia instead . Fantastic !!!

Great stuff, plus Ronaldo could have got himself sent off ..... I am actually enjoying the VAR, no doubt it could do with tweaking by the powers that be, but at least they are getting more decisions right than wrong 

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bob the Builder posted:

I had personally expected less excitement, but it’s nice to see that the tournament has this type of twists......, so let’s see if Germany doesn’t win after all the smoke flows away...

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by MDS

Yesterday's games were interesting but I think there's more work to do to get the VAR process working effectively. The delays in the Portugal v Iran game were ridiculous, first while the guys behind the scenes consider whether or not there's a case to ask the ref to view and then the viewing itself.  Also I had thought that the idea was to use VAR only where there is 'a clear and obvious error' in the ref's original decision.  In practice it looks look cases of marginal interpretation are being reviewed too.  Finally it looks like players and the touch-line staff now seem to be appealing to the ref for VAR reviews.  That looks to be making the ref's already difficult job additionally difficult.  The idea was eliminate obvious errors and assist the referee, not to give players another way in which to harass officials.   

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by dave marshall

As you say, the idea was to inform the referee that he might have made an error, but in practice, it looks as though the VAR process has simply given the players, (and coaches), yet another excuse to mob the referee, gesticulating that he should leave the field to consult the monitor.

Can't help thinking that the resultant delays in the game, whilst heightening the "suspense" for the worldwide TV audience, do little to improve the enjoyment of the game for the spectators present.

Shouting abuse at the ref when he gets it wrong is surely part of the fun of attending matches .......................... well, it certainly is at Elland Road, where "everybody hates us, we don't care". 

dave marshall posted:

Shouting abuse at the ref when he gets it wrong is surely part of the fun of attending matches .......................... well, it certainly is at Elland Road, where "everybody hates us, we don't care"

I thought Millwall fans claimed copyright on that one, Dave. 

MDS posted:
dave marshall posted:

Shouting abuse at the ref when he gets it wrong is surely part of the fun of attending matches .......................... well, it certainly is at Elland Road, where "everybody hates us, we don't care"

I thought Millwall fans claimed copyright on that one, Dave. 

Nah, that's just the "dahn sarf" branch .................... we see them as simply "mildly disliked"

Besides, it give us a feeling of entitlement to explain away our singular lack of success for the last few years .............. as many of us supporters say ............ "Leeds United, spoiling weekends for the last fifteen years!" 

Well, that's both France and Denmark through, but what a yawnfest that game was. 

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by wenger2015
dave marshall posted:

Well, that's both France and Denmark through, but what a yawnfest that game was. 

If that was the case then I’m glad I was working...

looking forward to this evenings game Argentina v Nigeria 

Yes. This evening's games look very enticing.  

I must confess to avoiding the France v Denmark game as I suspected it would be a dull stalemate. 

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Kevin-W
dave marshall posted:

It was gash Dave. Not saying there was anything deliberate about that result, or any hint of collusion, but...

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

What a goal from Man U's Marcos Rojo fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Hmack

By contrast, tonight's games have been riveting. 

Great credit must go to Iceland (with a population of less than 400,000) for their performance.