Pop Quizzz Mkii

Posted by: Rico on 27 October 2000

better than a MKii Ekos, it's : time to get yours on Pop Quizz, (MK ii).

It's friday, and we need some variety. Let's not get toooooo bogged down in detail (as long as we don't re-write history) and crack some quick-fire questions. Keep it moving! One new question set by supplier of right answer, number questions sequentially please, and use the number with your answer - that'll help us keep track. Here's two 80's questions to start with:

Q1.: Who did the art on the original editions of Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads?

Q2.: Which fabulous blues legend who passed in a helicopter crash, played guitar on much of Bowie's hyper-commercial smash Let's Dance ?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 27 October 2000 by Pete
You have Q2 correct, I think, but Q1 wrong. Q1 is, I believe, Robert Rauschenberg. Since you beat me to Q2, and I had to look up Q1 (I did know it wasn't Byrne, and it was a famous pop artist, but couldn't recall who), you get the next Q...

(DB was an art, or maybe design, student, and the original 3 Heads (DB + Chris and Tina) met at art school IIRC, Jerry Harrison joined a little later, don't know if he was an art student or not).

Pete.

Posted on: 27 October 2000 by John Channing
Q2 Stevie Ray Vaughn

I know Jonathan got it right first but he didn't set a question so I will.

Q3 What were the chemical brothers originally called and why did they change their name?

Music is the answer.

Posted on: 27 October 2000 by Rico
Well done, Gentlemen!

It was indeed Robert Rauschenberg, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Phew - I thought this thread was going to be chilled/frozen out completely.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 27 October 2000 by matthewr
>> Q3 What were the chemical brothers originally called and why did they change their name? <<

They were called The Dust Brothers and changed their name because there was already another Dust Brothers who took legal action.

Q4: Very cool slow-core maestros Bedhead recently covered which very cheesy multi-million selling worldwide #1?

HINT: IIRC The record in question is a favourite of Mike Hanson's wife.

For a bonus point what was the unsual lead instrument used.

Matthew

Q4 The answer must be they covered Cher's I believe.

Q5 Back to the 80s again. Which then unknown female vocalist sang on The The's Infected (hint: Her first album was called Raw Like Sushi)

Music is the answer

[This message was edited by John Channing on FRIDAY 27 October 2000 at 12:32.]

Q5 was Neneh Cherry, Sinead O'Connor featured on Mind Bomb.

Music is the answer.

would be The Art of Noise, member Trevor Horn scoring the movie "Toys".

So we move to Q7: How will the lowly ones study karate, and what will happen when they have?

Pete.

Posted on: 27 October 2000 by matthewr
John is correct - Bedhead did indeed cover Cher's "Believe". And quite marvellous it is too.

Matthew

PS The lead riff was played on a touch tone telephone.

Posted on: 27 October 2000 by Rico
Pete

you have me stumped.

Rico - musichead

Pete,
I think that "lowly ones study karate" is part of a song lyric making it a very hard question i.e. it is almost impossible to cheat using the internet. Can you give us a clue or revise the question?
John

Music is the answer.

Animals, Pink Floyd... all veeeerrrryyy close to the extent that a look at the relevant documents, or better still a listen, will have the answer in no time now.

Making it internet search proof to some extent was something of a design goal, I'll freely admit, but since Animals lyrics came up in the last pop quiz and the Boys in Pink seem to be quite popular here I figured someone would still probably nab it.

Pete.

Posted on: 30 October 2000 by Pete
I thought I recognised it, sort of, until you gave me further clues. Now I'm sure I've Never Heard This Song Before In My Life!

Pete.

Posted on: 30 October 2000 by woodface
Is it that wierd bloke with the fire on his head? The song being 'Fire' - was his name arthur Brown or similar?
Posted on: 30 October 2000 by woodface
Rod Stewart?

If so here is Q10, What is unusual about the roiginal Duke Ellington 'Live at Newport' release. Subsequent re releases/ re masters have since corrected this.

Posted on: 30 October 2000 by Tim Oldridge
Was it a mixture of live, studio and pre- or post- recorded fillers between tracks, all purporting to be live?

If so here's Q11:

Who did Simon Richie, sometimes called John Simon Richie, kill (allegedly) and who killed him?

Timo

Posted on: 31 October 2000 by Pete
aka Sid Vicious, he is said to have killed his girlfriend Nancy Spungen, allegedly at her request, and subsequently took his own life.

Q12. What is a ProjeKct FraKctal, and how many of them have recorded?

Pete.

Posted on: 31 October 2000 by woodface
It was quite an easy one, apparently none of the original albumn was live it was all recorded two days or so later in the studio. In the live recording they missed the big sax by Gonvsales (I have probably spelt his name wrong). The latest question looks like we are slipping into obscurity again!
Recent, a matter of public record, available to find on the Internet, and a clue for anyone who's remotely familiar with my tastes in the Kcontrived spelling...

Pete.

Posted on: 31 October 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Q12. What is a ProjeKct FraKctal, and how many of them have recorded?

Its Fripp, Belew, Levin and a few others, and whilst I don't know how many they have recorded, you can fit them all in a four CD box...

Pete, is it any good?

Tony.

PS I will await acknowledgement of my victory before setting another obscure Krautrock question.

Close, but not quite close enough...

Belew has only recorded in one ProjeKct, Levin in two, for example, so perhaps a closer definition of "what", though certainly on the right track.

In case that seems like splitting hairs, there are definitely more recorded ProjeKcts than will fit into a 4 CD box (though the 4 CD box "King Crimson: The ProjeKcts" is enormously recommended to anyone who likes artfully constructed noise)

Pete.

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Pete
Give us a krautrock teaser then, Tony.

FWIW, a ProjeKct is a sub-group of the full King Crimson lineup (Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn, Pat Mastelotto) playing mainly improv based music. 5 ProjeKcts have recorded:

p1 (Bruford, Fripp, Gunn, Levin): Live at the Jazz Cafe

p2 (Belew, Fripp, Gunn): Space Groove; Live Groove

p3 (Fripp, Gunn, Mastelotto): Masque

p4 (Fripp, Gunn, Levin, Mastelotto): West Coast Live; The Roar of P4

pX (Belew Fripp, Gunn, Mastelotto): Heaven and Earth

Jazz Cafe, Live Groove, Masque and West Coat are the 4 in the ProjeKct box set, all taken from various live club dates. The box is condensed to a single CD "best of", "Deception of the Thrush", though frankly I'd just get the whole lot.

Space Groove is a double CD of studio improvs (Fripp and Gunn were visiting Ade's studio to do some KC writing, Ade was messing about on his new V-drum set in a break, the others joined in to jam and they ended up with a double CD...)

Roar of P4 is a single club date recorded in full, available only through the KC Collectors' Club

Heaven and Earth was recorded alongside the most recent KC album, "ConstruKction of Light" and is thus made up from studio jams, development ideas, alternate takes etc. Only available mail order from DGM (jolly good stuff though, title track appears as a "bonus track" on CoL).

Pete.

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Give us a krautrock teaser then, Tony.

Well as no one got my last one* here's another lovely Krautrock question.

Q13) Who got kicked out of Tangerine Dream for being "too weird", and what seminal band did he help form.

Tony.

*the question was: Who links The Beatles (Revolver) to Ash Ra Temple, the answer was Timothy Leary whose verse was included in 'tomorrow never knows', and who later appeared as vocalist on Ash Ra Temples '7up' album.

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Q13) Who got kicked out of Tangerine Dream for being "too weird", and what seminal band did he help form.

I believe the answer is Klaus Schulze, Ash Ra Temple. (Missed part B of the question first time)

Kevin.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hughes on THURSDAY 02 November 2000 at 14:43.]

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I believe the answer is Klaus Schulze.

If so, what band did he form...

Tony.

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Check my full answer above Tony.

If I am right here is my question.

Q14) Name a rap group who have covered a Dead Kennedys song.

The answer to the question I asked on the previous music quiz thread that was never answered was The Wedding Present and The Tindersticks (2 UK indie acts covering there own songs in French).

Kevin.