Mazda RX8

Posted by: NB on 14 November 2003

I am thinking of selling my Toyota Supra and buying the new Mazda RX8.

Has anyone had the pleasure of driving one yet? and are they as good looking as the new advert suggests?

Regards

NB
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Hammerhead
NB,

A very good friend of mine has sold his Audi TT (225) to get an RX8 Hi power. He should get it any day now. It's certainly a looker.

A forum for the model is already up! RX8 forum

Steve
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by David Stewart
There's a good report here http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=7249
238bhp from a 1.3L normally aspirated lump is fairly impressive I'd suggest. It actually looks the biz and also has the engine in the right place driving the correct pair of wheels and all that for £22K - hmmmm!
Let me know how you get on with the test drive Wink

David

PS: Surprised that Jezzer hasn't got his sticky hands on one for Top Gear, or perhaps its in the can?
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by BLT
I reckon that it looks fantastic, too, I'm trying to work out a way of owning one that fits in with my motoring requirements.
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by NB
Quote:-

The attraction is that we can call it a family car - I'm 6 foot-ish and comfortably sat in the back without having to fold my legs up or having my head hit the roof. The only very slight downer is that the view from the rear is a bit like being on a ship with only a small porthole to look out of.

Thats nice to know, I am six foot 2 and struggle to get in most cars. The Supra is deceptively large, especially in the front!

Regards

NB

I reckon that it looks fantastic, too,

I think its one of the best looking cars on the market at the moment, my car is 14 years old and looks taty!

Its good for 450 BHP but the paintworks gone, the wheels are a mess and the leather interior needs replacing!

Now a Mazda RX8 with Leather interior sounds like a perfect replacement!

Regards

NB
Does anyone know whether there will be a turbo charged or supercharged version in the future?

Regards

NB
Thats well over the top, I only pay £500 for the Supra and about £600 for the Jeep!

Regards

NB
You can never have too much power! A friend of mine has been out in (& worked on ) Hyper Lemon - the 1000bhp Nissan Skyline. Owning a car like that is like having a 14" d**k - it serves no great practical purpose but it's nice to take it out occasionally and scare people with it!

As for a turbocharger, isn't 0-60 in 6.2 seconds fast enough for you?????

Its adequate but when your used to 450bhp and a 0-60 in the four seconds its a step backwards.

Its nice to have the power for when its needed.

Regards

NB
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Arun Mehan
I haven't heard of any factory charging plans but I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket accessories for the RX-8. Of course a K&N air filter/charger would be the first recommended upgrade Smile
I will give my friend Mark a ring at Torque Developments. I am sure there will be loads of goodies for the RX8.

Air filter and bigger exhaust would be first on the list. HKS do some wonderful stuff! I will dig out a photo of my Supra's engine for you sometime!

Regards

NB
Is this a work of art?

Regards

NB
ps the green thing is the HKS air filter!

Regards

NB
but then 238 bhp from a 1.3l engine is impresive and think of the fuel savings.

If I get into double figures, I am happy Razz

Regards

NB
It ain't a 1.3 litre, you really can't compare the capacity of a rotary and piston engine by the "swept volume" criteria. Norton had this problem with their rotary racing bikes. Rotary engines are also notorious for poor fuel consumption, this model looks to be much better than any rotary that I have seen before, but much worse than any comparable normally aspirated piston engine.
Apparently Mazda are claiming 26.4mpg for the 192bhp version and just 24.8 for the 231bhp one. Not a good comparison with my 328i which does 29.7 overall for similar performance. On the upside though the RX8 is fitted with a speed-camera detector as standard. Big Grin

David
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Rasher
What about the oil consumption that rotaries were always blighted by?
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Mike Sae
rasher, it's being reported that the Rotary still burns oil, adding oil is like moving SBLs and the mileage is pretty poor to boot.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/04rx8.htm
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Mike Sae
PS does Jeremy Clarkson classify this as a "woman's car"?
quote:
But David....it's a BMW. And can you get it with anything like the Mazda spec for £22k?

Nope - but it is a BMW Smile

David
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Not For Me
I got the brochure in the post today.

Nice!

Are there any in the UK yet?

I want one with all the lovely trimmings!

DS

OTD - Invexis - Deux et Machina
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by count.d
Why don't you spend £6,000 on a X/Y 1.8 16v Vectra that's done 13,000 miles, then with the £16,000 left over, go and buy a proper racing car to race around a proper racing track to feel what a properly set-up car can do and properly enjoy yourself.

Don't follow the boring masses.

Plus, the Vectra will only cost you £250 to insure.

I generally hate road cars.
Posted on: 14 November 2003 by Johns Naim
Heh, great car, lots of them here now as well, also the 350Z Nissan - another BMW basher :-)

Mind you, IMHO, the new BMW's deserve to be bashed on style and quality grounds sadly.

Things ain't what they used to be!

Cheers

John... Wink

Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by NB
and the new Audi TT v6 is on its way soon!

I will be trying both the Mazda and the Audi TT V6 and seeing which I prefer.

I might also try the new Chrysler crossfire!

Regards

NB
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by NB
and maybe even the Z4!

So many to choose from!

NB