The Hugo of streaming?

Posted by: charlesphoto on 14 June 2016

Ha, knew that would get your attention!

I was using my UQ1 for streaming only purposes to the DAC V1 via a good s/pdif cable, but was never entirely happy with the set up, esp as the UQ was mostly going to waste. My budget wasn't much, and I didn't want to just move over to another streamer, esp as the asynch USB on the V1 is one of its main features, and supposedly better sounding than coax. I considered a Mac Mini, but then started reading over on the Computer Audiophile forum raves about the forthcoming Sonore microRendu. So last week I got in on the second batch and have had one up and running since Friday with an iFi power supply until I get a proper linear power supply for it (probably the upcoming Uptone LPS based on charging ultracapacitors). 

For those not in the know, the microRendu is about the size of a small flip phone, only connects ethernet in and USB out, and runs a small custom linux OS on an sd card that is accessed headless with a really simple and easy GUI. It was built with low noise hardware and the best sound throughput as the top priority. Took all of under five minutes to set up. It has several modes: Squeezelite, DLNA (regular and open home), NAA Roon/HQ player mode, airshare and I think maybe one other. I have mine running in upnp mode from my Vortexbox using the Lumin app as a controller. Currently also running Roon as a trial, but for what it costs and the hardware requirements its not for me at the moment. Cool app though, esp if you have a big collection.

From the moment I plugged the microRendu in I knew that it was game over. And it just keeps getting better as it burns in; I also added an Atlas Element USB cable that sounds really nice for the price. I think the likes of already fringe companies like Aurender and Auralic have got to be more than bit worried about what these even more fringe upstarts are doing. I'm not really the best person to be doing comparisons because I've never had the $ to change out gear like some do, or work my way up a heirarchy like Naim. But it really is extraordinarily impressive, made my old set up sound "broken" even (and I thought it sounded pretty damn good). I never thought I would have a hifi this good due to $. Lots of talk in hifi about "inky blackness" which I've never really experienced until now. Reverb esp - its like it just floats out into an empty void. A bit disconcerting at first actually! Also the balance is perfect - voices are right where they should be, piano sounds totally natural (the true test imo), nothing recesses or comes forward in any strange way. I was experiencing some fatigue before and now that's history. The only fatigue now is from staying up to late listening to music nonstop!! 

So, if you're looking at streaming options and have a dac (or plan on getting one), then you should check out the mR. Imo its' this years Hugo - a serious game changer, at least as far as where USB audio is at. For me it's all I'll ever need in that regard. And the UQ is now happy and wonderful sounding where it should be, in my basement office, utilizing all of its functions.   

Posted on: 14 June 2016 by Brubacca

I'm in the same boat and you probably just spent my next $600.  Can you attach any local storage, like a USB thumb drive?

Posted on: 14 June 2016 by charlesphoto

No you can't, and funny I was just thinking about that on my walk now - how to rid myself of the Vortexbox and how great that would be to just have a small SSD drive next to the microrendu, both sharing a power supply. Definitely a next generation product for them I think. But it's so good otherwise (and quite possibly because they didn't add anything else to it) I wouldn't hesitate if it fits the bill. Like I said, it's the balance that really gets me. Just about everything sounds good, stuff that I really couldn't tolerate before, though it's even now more detailed. My amp isn't up to some genres (face melting stadium rock for one) but absolutely sublime with jazz and vocals, etc. One can hear the reverb and sustain like I never had before with my system, the instruments all really well delineated without sounding forced. I'm giddy at the thought of what a proper lps will do for it. 

Posted on: 14 June 2016 by nbpf

As I argued in other threads, I think that having a dedicated, low power microserver directly connected to a dac or streamer is a very sensible approach. I hope that we will see more devices like the microRendu (and the Bryston Pi, aries mini, etc.) in the near future. They could easily run a UPnP server and a renderer (Linn has recently made their DS software open source), implement replay from memory of LAN data and, via user upgradeable SSD drives, make NAS devices and streaming through LAN effectively obsolete.     

Posted on: 15 June 2016 by Sloop John B

This is definitely one on my radar, nearly pressed the pre-order button on it but said I'd hold off in case the hype machine was creating the rumpus rather than the microRendu. 

The software is nifty, I had a Sonic Orbiter SE for a while which runs the same operating system for want of a better description. 

The main attraction for me is of course Roon and the NAA for HQPLAYER. The beauty of this as I see it is that it stands the chance of being current much longer than any other digital front end device as all the changes/ enhancements will happen to the Roon Core or HQPLAYER running on my Intel i5 NUC. 

SJB

Posted on: 15 June 2016 by charlesphoto

Honestly I wouldn't hesitate (though I think they're sold out now until sometime in July). Had a listening session last night and blown away by some old favorites, esp revealing was Augustus Pablo's East of the River Nile. A lot more going on there than I ever realized. Also Eno's Music for Airports sounded brand new despite having heard it dozens of time. Only one thing didn't work for me, Portishead's Dummy. Probably the quality of the mix just didn't gel (could very well be my speakers/amp too). But most everything I've thrown at it sounds fresh and newly revealing. And this is all just Redbook rips transcoded to WAV24; I don't own any hi-res (yet). 

Posted on: 15 June 2016 by james n

Looks a very neat little device (looks from the photos to be similar if not the same size as the Uptone Regen ?). Enjoy 

Posted on: 15 June 2016 by Sloop John B
charlesphoto posted:

Honestly I wouldn't hesitate (though I think they're sold out now until sometime in July). Had a listening session last night and blown away by some old favorites, esp revealing was Augustus Pablo's East of the River Nile. A lot more going on there than I ever realized. Also Eno's Music for Airports sounded brand new despite having heard it dozens of time. Only one thing didn't work for me, Portishead's Dummy. Probably the quality of the mix just didn't gel (could very well be my speakers/amp too). But most everything I've thrown at it sounds fresh and newly revealing. And this is all just Redbook rips transcoded to WAV24; I don't own any hi-res (yet). 

My thinking is to wait until they are in situ in systems for 3 or so months, what one hears initially is not always what one can live with long term.

I fully expect to be an owner but as my Hugo TT  itself is only 3 months old I'll wait a bit until I nab it's streaming equivalent.

SJB

Posted on: 15 June 2016 by charlesphoto

Yep, I hear you. As far as I'm concerned I'm living with this baby a long long time. Only thing to add is a better power supply, though the ifi probably gets you 85-90% there. Nuc>Rendu>Hugo sounds like a great compact combo. 

Posted on: 17 June 2016 by likesmusic

Amirm has published some measurements of the microRendu on audiosciencereview. According to his measurements the mR boosts output level by around 8dB and has significant amounts of low frequency noise and distortion that are surprisingly sensitive to the connector used. Not a happy set of results imo!

Posted on: 18 June 2016 by spurrier sucks

I have thought about upgrading my Uniti 2 and getting a higher level Naim streamer but this devise has me wondering if I'm better off saving some cash and going with something like this. 

Posted on: 18 June 2016 by Bart
spurrier sucks posted:

I have thought about upgrading my Uniti 2 and getting a higher level Naim streamer but this devise has me wondering if I'm better off saving some cash and going with something like this. 

You'll need a usb dac though, correct?  (or usb -> spdif converter I suppose).

Posted on: 18 June 2016 by spurrier sucks
Bart posted:
spurrier sucks posted:

You'll need a usb dac though, correct?  (or usb -> spdif converter I suppose).

Yes I believe so. 

Posted on: 18 June 2016 by charlesphoto

Yes, that is correct. This essentially becomes the missing link in order to stream to your dac of choice without utilizing hardware that includes other unnecessary functions., such as the dac, amp, tuner, etc that wasn't being utilized on my UQ streaming digital out to my DAC V1. 

A week in and I can report that the sq of the microRendu just keeps getting better. I have really high pitched, sometimes roaring tinnitus and the addition of the rendu has allowed me to turn things down and still enjoy the same dynamics, depth, and fullness of sound. The separation of sounds can be nothing short of revelatory on music I've heard many times. The only con: it shows that I need a bigger better amp

Posted on: 19 June 2016 by T38.45

Just fly over computeraudiophile and read the test. Chris mentioned that this is one of the best sources he was testing...wow! Think I'll get my toe in...

Posted on: 20 June 2016 by T38.45

Is this small box really better than Auralic Aries or Aurender or CAPS or pimped MAC?

Posted on: 20 June 2016 by nbpf
T38.45 posted:

Is this small box really better than Auralic Aries or Aurender or CAPS or pimped MAC?

I do not know what you mean by "better" but the microRendu is certainly a very different device than a CAPS or Mini Mac based server.

Posted on: 20 June 2016 by T38.45
nbpf posted:
T38.45 posted:

I do not know what you mean by "better" but the microRendu is certainly a very different device than a CAPS or Mini Mac based server.

better means sound quality wise....

Posted on: 20 June 2016 by charlesphoto
T38.45 posted:

I have no idea, except that it beat the pants off my UQ which was used for streaming only (everything else disabled) to my V1 via Atlas Opus spdif. There are reports by users that say it bests their previous mac mini setups and others who say its better than the CAPS, N100H or Aries they had. But of course all hifi is anecdotal so ymmv. All I know is that for $640 I didn't have to keep going up the Naim chain in increments of   thousands to experience the same stunning replay - and would be still wasting the dac built into all of their streamers going to the V1 (which I love). 

Posted on: 22 June 2016 by T38.45

Just placed my order with the ifi powersupply...

Posted on: 22 June 2016 by Brubacca

I use my Qute V1 the same way. My concern is being forced to do App control all the time. I very much enjoy just picking up the remote and using it. 

Has this been a problem or concern for you?  

Posted on: 22 June 2016 by Mr Underhill

My NS01 died on Sunday. I placed an order for a microRendu on Monday. Should be arriving late this week or early next.

I have also bought an ifi PSU as a stop gap while I consider the options.

My inital tests will be done using:
USB/SPDIF converter >> Bel Canto DAC3.5vb; and
USB >> Oppo 105D

I have loaded Bubbleupnp server on my Synology NAS in the hope of streaming Qobuz, as well as my local music. My initial trials will be using DLNA and the Linn control point.

M

Posted on: 22 June 2016 by charlesphoto
Brubacca posted:

I use my Qute V1 the same way. My concern is being forced to do App control all the time. I very much enjoy just picking up the remote and using it. 

Has this been a problem or concern for you?  

Yes and no. I find the Lumina app quite puzzling, but it might just be me. My wife has pretty much all but given up! Anyway, the tremendous bump in sound quality was worth it to me, but then this system is pretty much for album play off of the NAS. For radio etc we have a muso in the adjacent room dining room and kitchen, but I now find myself playing the main so much because the sound is so great. The UQ is now residing happily in the office, all of its bits being utilized. 

Posted on: 22 June 2016 by charlesphoto

I have loaded Bubbleupnp server on my Synology NAS in the hope of streaming Qobuz, as well as my local music. My initial trials will be using DLNA and the Linn control point.

M

The rendu has a bubble upnp server mode on it so it can be what's called an open home renderer. 

Posted on: 22 June 2016 by Mr Underhill

Hi Charles,

That will be my first experiment. I am also looking at Jriver.

Looking forward to converting some PCM to DSD and seeing if I can hear a difference!

Just bought an Atlas Element on your recommendation.

If anyone is interested take a look at the review on YouTube, Hans seems like a genuine down to earth enthusiast; he even has an HDX on one of his digital audio overviews.

M

Posted on: 23 June 2016 by T38.45
charlesphoto posted:

M

The rendu has a bubble upnp server mode on it so it can be what's called an open home renderer. 

why bubble? you could run minimserver on synology as a pre-installed download providing upnp. I run this with my auralic and controlling it with lumin. or is bubble different than minimserver?

tx!

ralf