Albums which blew you away on first play.

Posted by: dave marshall on 16 August 2018

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced.

I've just mentioned this album over on the "University" topic, and I can still remember bringing it home from the record shop and  

being absolutely gobsmacked, hearing it for the first time.

I'd never heard anything remotely like it before, and to say that the first listening was jaw dropping would be an understatement

indeed.

So, what album had a similar effect on you, the memory of which has stayed with you till this day?

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Stephen Tate

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan 'Musst Musst' (RealWorld 1990)

So utterly different, bought on a whim after reading about him and the RealWorld label. It opened my ears (and wallet) to the great explosion of 'World Music' as it was known rather patronisingly then and to the genius of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in particular. I still think this (and the more abstract/ambient 'Night Song) are incredible works and pretty unique.

I don't listen to it often now, but I don't just recall the first time I listened to it but also the first time I played it to my wife and watching her reaction going from 'what on earth is this' to amazement and fascination.

Nice idea for a thread, and interesting if people can explain the how and why.

Bruce

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Slim68

Marillion, Script For a Jesters Tear.

Growing up on 70/80's pop like the Human League, Soft Cells etc, this came as quite a shock! My Sister had Misplaced Childhood and after playing it a few times started wondering at what else Marillion had done. I went to my local record shop in Stevenage (FL Moores) and found this. On first play I remember being blow away by the way each song told a story, the lyrics had a message, an anger that just connected with me straight away. I still love this album as much today as I did then and play it regularly. Marillion with Fish are still one of my top 2 bands, swings between them and Floyd depending on the day/mood.

This has prompted me to play;

First seen on VHS video and was my introduction to the Epic song Grendel but that's another story.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Mike Sullivan
Slim68 posted:

Growing up on 70/80's pop like the Human League, Soft Cells etc, this came as quite a shock! My Sister had Misplaced Childhood and after playing it a few times started wondering at what else Marillion had done. I went to my local record shop in Stevenage (FL Moores) and found this. On first play I remember being blow away by the way each song told a story, the lyrics had a message, an anger that just connected with me straight away. I still love this album as much today as I did then and play it regularly. Marillion with Fish are still one of my top 2 bands, swings between them and Floyd depending on the day/mood.

First seen on VHS video and was my introduction to the Epic song Grendel but that's another story.

Still an enduring favorite of mine too. Really enjoying their latest (F.E.A.R.) as well.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Slim68
Mike Sullivan posted:
Slim68 posted:

Still an enduring favorite of mine too. Really enjoying their latest (F.E.A.R.) as well.

I enjoy F.E.A.R too, the All One Tonight - Live At The Royal Albert Hall CD is a cracking album, well worth checking out.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Tabby cat
Slim68 posted:

Nice choice Slim

I was really into Marillion before Script for a Jesters Tear was released.And saw them both nights at the Hammersmith Odean on the Script tour also at Guildford,St Albans and Folkestone....It was like we where going to see them twice a week,Me and my mates.Seeing The Recital of the Script Hammersmith video on your post brought it all back.Yeah great debut album and superb recording.

Cheers Ian

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Mike Sullivan

I have the Blu-ray of the RAH concert. I had to upgrade my media room it’s so good.????????

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggy Style

This really hit the spot back in 1993.It still sounds really fresh now.So many Snoop classics like Gin and juice and G's and Hustlers.A big album in Rap history - No doubt

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/SnoopDoggyDoggDoggystyle.jpg/220px-SnoopDoggyDoggDoggystyle.jpg

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Sadly for me it's U2 

https://cdn.ontourmedia.io/u2/non_secure/images/20140418/discography/bloodredsky_cover/600.jpg

Under a blood red sky.

As a young teen wishing I was older coincided with never getting the chance to experience the big twos when they were really worth experiencing.   Although this album helped enormously in honing time travel astral planing.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Pev

Image result for anthem of the sun

Anthem of the Sun - Grateful Dead. Hearing this on stereo headphones with a good strong joint was a defining moment in my appreciation of what music could be. Still sounds wonderful nearly 50 years later.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by blythe

Relayer by Yes.
However, these days it doesn't hit the spot in the same way... Funny that..

I agree about U2 Under A Blood Red Sky - that was one amazing album and the accompanying video also blew me away at the time.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61y5QIqn68L._SY355_.jpg

Fleet Foxes. Fleet Foxes.

Hearing this for the first time was met by an uncanny sense that I have always known and loved this album for a very long time.

Always blows my mind when it's played

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by tonym
dave marshall posted:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced.

I've just mentioned this album over on the "University" topic, and I can still remember bringing it home from the record shop and  

being absolutely gobsmacked, hearing it for the first time.

I'd never heard anything remotely like it before, and to say that the first listening was jaw dropping would be an understatement

indeed.

So, what album had a similar effect on you, the memory of which has stayed with you till this day?

Mine too! The greatest debut album of all time. IIRC I bought this shortly after seeing them live at The Marquee in Wardor Street - A truly life-changing event in itself.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Paul Weller - Wild Wood 

After a superb return with his self titled debut LP I was really looking forward to this record I had heard a couple of tunes when I had seen him live but the first time I heard in its entirety it absolutely blew me away and still does. 

His third solo record Stanley Rd usually gets the plaudits but for me Wild Wood is his finest work. 

I have heard people say it sounds like a Traffic tribute band but I was 21 when Wild Wood came out and Traffic were unknown to me then and still are now so I heard it with fresh ears so to speak. 

The Live version of the LP Live Wood is equally as good. 

Tabby cat posted:

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggy Style

This really hit the spot back in 1993.It still sounds really fresh now.So many Snoop classics like Gin and juice and G's and Hustlers.A big album in Rap history - No doubt

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/SnoopDoggyDoggDoggystyle.jpg/220px-SnoopDoggyDoggDoggystyle.jpg

A good record but not even close to Dr Dre’s The Chronic that record did blow me away I wasn’t a rap fan and still am not but The Chronic transcends all that and is just a great record and really, really well recorded and mastered fantastic Sonics. 

TOBYJUG posted:

Sadly for me it's U2 

https://cdn.ontourmedia.io/u2/non_secure/images/20140418/discography/bloodredsky_cover/600.jpg

Under a blood red sky.

As a young teen wishing I was older coincided with never getting the chance to experience the big twos when they were really worth experiencing.   Although this album helped enormously in honing time travel astral planing.

Great LP. 

Bob Talking of Dre - Snoop and 1993 - 4.........Always loved (Still Do when I play it)  was this 37 min album by Warren G - Another groundbreaking G Funk album - Have you got it ?

https://img.discogs.com/e5knpTpNMub4mI-k6e6inGrhpa0=/fit-in/600x596/filters:strip_icc[):format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-226078-1489957124-9370.jpeg.jpg

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Yetizone

Hunky Dory. My DB 'in' was Lets Dance as that was the album charting during school the years. Interest piqued and started buying the back catalogue. First copy on the RCA International green label, then later as a stude, tracked down a very early orange label pressing from Wax Factor (I think it was) in Brighton. Upon first listen, a case of WTF is this - its brilliant! Never got tired of this LP and still probably my fave DAVE album, although I often switch preference between this, Station to Station and Low depending on mood.

Sgt Peppers also a big wow moment. Same with Kate Bush Hounds of Love. And Led Zep III too.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Script for a Jester’s Tear has already been mentioned (as have gigs by them - and I saw many between ‘82 and Fish’s departure, so some of us likely at same gigs!). It did make an impression when I first played it, but maybe not quite blowing me away at first listen as much as these (though it rapidly grew on me and is still a firm favourite):

Led Zeppelin II - opening with Whole Lotta Love my intro to the band, and to heavy rock, 1969 IIRC. Brilliant.

Deep Purple in Rock. I was familiar with and liked the band through their first incarnation, bought this and was completely blown away: From the intro/Hard Lovin’ Man to the stunning Child in Time, this was a stunning album.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath. Another 1970 album, with heavy rock taking the world by storm that year! I already knew and loved the title track, but this widened the experience, from Fairies Wear Boots to War Pigs - wonderful!

Dark Side of the Moon. (Pink Floyd) - a bit of a change from the previous Floyd albums, more mesmerising... no, their earlier albums did mesmerising, maybe this was just more upfront, while akso being more cohesive as an album, from Breathe right through to the closing Brain Damage and Eclipse

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson - another wow album, launching with 21st Century Schizoid Man, Then through the contrasting quieter tracks like and to the powerful Court song itself.

Tommy - The Who. Into a musical journey that engulfed for an hour and a half 

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis. I liked their earlier albums, but this was something different. More engrossing, and very good sound quality to boot.

Ooooh, I could go on! And all of these still get played today,...

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Xenasys

I remember the first Album i bought was Rastaman Vibrations by Bob Marley still a great Album and i dont even like Reggae, still blows me away though

As well as some of the other stuff mentioned

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Chunky

R.E.M. - Document.  This was the first R.E.M LP I bought, not long after it came out. I hadn't heard anything by them at this point and bought it on the strength of a good review.  I couldn't believe how good this LP was.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Released 1963 mum brought it in, I was a snotty nosed 10 year old. Blew me away, the rest is history. ????

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Mercky

Not long out of short trousers when I borrowed this from a classmate, I remember thinking, blimey, this is quite heavy! 

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Bert Schurink

This really blew me away, and still as off today one of my favorites...

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Bert Schurink

Especially child in time and space trucking, lazy settled my love for the guys...