What concert did you attend in 2018?

Posted by: kuma on 01 January 2018

Starting a new thread for the new year!~

So did anyone go to the New Year's Concert in Vienna?

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Sloop John B

I was at Susanna in the National Concert Hall in Dublin last night. Quite exquisite.

If you’re about in London tomorrow evening.......

http://susannamagical.com/show/581/

.sjb

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by count.d

Nick Mason - A Saucerful of Secrets - Manchester Apollo. The sound was superb and I was blown away by the whole experience. Fantastic.IMG_0018 copy

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Kevin-W

To the Purcell Room at London's SouthBank Centre to see the acclaimed US-born but London resident drummer/percussionist/composer Sarathy Korwar (who has a new triple vinyl album out in November). He was accompanied by an electric/acoustic bass player, a sax player, a keyboards/sax man and a rapper guy.

Some fierce and propulsive drumming, but for me the highlight came when Korwar switched to tablas (he is classically trained). Splendid sound, as always, at the SBC.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Looking forward to see the guys of GoGo Penguin. Saw them last this summer on North Sea Jazz, it was quite an experience. This evening close to my home...

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Graham Russell

Last night saw Level 42 again in Guildford. An awesome set. They seem to get better each time

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:

Looking forward to see the guys of GoGo Penguin. Saw them last this summer on North Sea Jazz, it was quite an experience. This evening close to my home...

The concert was great. You almost get in a trance on their music. And I was also pleased to see that Tord Gustavsen will play in the same venue in January....

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

The concert was great. You almost get in a trance on their music. And I was also pleased to see that Tord Gustavsen will play in the same venue in January....

Now with a picture and a video...

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Dave***t
Bert Schurink posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Good to hear the show went well.  Wouldn't mind seeing them myself.

What was North Sea Jazz, was it a kind of festival on a cruise ship?

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Morton

I was lucky enough to bag a good seat return on Sunday evening for Tuesday’s performance of Gotterdammerung at the Royal Opera, well worth the trip for Nina Stemme’s Brunnhilde alone. I don’t think I have ever heard such a loud (standing) ovation as hers when she came out at the end.

The rest of the cast was also very good, in particular Stephen Milling as Hagan and Lise Davidsen as 3rd Norn. The production was not too mad and apart from a few mistakes from the brass (which I have found almost inevitable in this opera) the orchestra was on fire.

I sat next to someone who had managed to get returns for the previous three operas in this cycle, so with two more Ring cycles to go, if anyone is interested it is well worth checking the ROH web site regularly.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Bert Schurink
Dave***t posted:
Bert Schurink posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Good to hear the show went well.  Wouldn't mind seeing them myself.

What was North Sea Jazz, was it a kind of festival on a cruise ship?

It’s one of the most significant Jazzfestivals which is yearly organized in Rotterdam, close to the Harbour - not on the water...

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by kuma
Morton posted:

I was lucky enough to bag a good seat return on Sunday evening for Tuesday’s performance of Gotterdammerung at the Royal Opera, well worth the trip for Nina Stemme’s Brunnhilde alone. I don’t think I have ever heard such a loud (standing) ovation as hers when she came out at the end.

Nice Morton! I am envious! I'll be attending her Chicago debut next year at Lyric Opera. No Brunnhilde, she'll be Elektra!

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Morton
kuma posted:
Morton posted:

Nice Morton! I am envious! I'll be attending her Chicago debut next year at Lyric Opera. No Brunnhilde, she'll be Elektra!

Well that will be exciting, I would think she will be an ideal Elektra,  not only vocally but also because she is also a fine actress, I’m sure she will enjoy wading in the blood!

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Dave***t
Bert Schurink posted:

It’s one of the most significant Jazzfestivals which is yearly organized in Rotterdam, close to the Harbour - not on the water...

Aha, fair enough.  I just asked because I did a heavy metal cruise/festival earlier this year, and the crew said they'd previously been in the North Sea doing something similar but with Jazz music.  So the name made me wonder.

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Dan Steel

Richard Thompson Liverpool Philharmonic  11th October 2018.

Last night’s gig was electric, a tight trio allowed Thompson room to indulge in some stunning lead guitar playing. The classic Red Stratocaster's tone bent and twisted twang in support with his trademark lyrics. Tightly but sparsely arranged, each song sparked with snarling energy which was first-class stuff. At 69 years of age, he’s still a tremendously compelling writer and performer.
The trio of Thompson on guitar and vocals and Michael Jerome (drums) and Taras Prodaniuk (bass) had a real feel for the material and which allowed Thompson to bring a spontaneous energy to each song.
One of our best songwriters, Thompson delivered a good mix of vintage songs and tracks from new album 13 Rivers. Whilst the fans clearly loved the Fairport Convention numbers and classics like Beeswing, the songs from the new album are superb, delivered with an energy and swagger that few performers of any generation can equaly.
Another great gig. ????

Setlist
Bones of Gilead
Her Love Was Meant For Me
Take Care the Road You Choose
Meet on the Ledge
(Fairport Convention song)
Can't Win
They Tore The Hippodrome Down
Dry My Tears and Move On
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
The Rattle Within
Guitar Heroes
Tale in Hard Time
The Storm Won't Come
I'll Never Give It Up
Wall of Death
(Richard & Linda Thompson song)
Put It There
Tear Stained Letter

Encore:
Beeswing
Down Where the Drunkards Roll

Encore 2:
Trying
Take a Heart
(The Sorrows cover)

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Stevee_S
Dan Steel posted:

Last night’s gig was electric, a tight trio allowed Thompson room to indulge in some stunning lead guitar playing. The classic Red Stratocaster's tone bent and twisted twang in support with his trademark lyrics. Tightly but sparsely arranged, each song sparked with snarling energy which was first-class stuff. At 69 years of age, he’s still a tremendously compelling writer and performer.
The trio of Thompson on guitar and vocals and Michael Jerome (drums) and Taras Prodaniuk (bass) had a real feel for the material and which allowed Thompson to bring a spontaneous energy to each song.
One of our best songwriters, Thompson delivered a good mix of vintage songs and tracks from new album 13 Rivers. Whilst the fans clearly loved the Fairport Convention numbers and classics like Beeswing, the songs from the new album are superb, delivered with an energy and swagger that few performers of any generation can equaly.
Another great gig. ????

Setlist
Bones of Gilead
Meet on the Ledge
Can't Win
Dry My Tears and Move On
The Rattle Within
Guitar Heroes
Tale in Hard Time
The Storm Won't Come
I'll Never Give It Up
Wall of Death
Put It There
Tear Stained Letter

Encore:
Beeswing

Encore 2:
Trying
Take a Heart
(The Sorrows cover)

Nice review thanks, Dan. You must have had a great evening. 

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Eoink
Dan Steel posted:

Another great gig. ????

Setlist
Bones of Gilead
Meet on the Ledge
Can't Win
Dry My Tears and Move On
The Rattle Within
Guitar Heroes
Tale in Hard Time
The Storm Won't Come
I'll Never Give It Up
Wall of Death
Put It There
Tear Stained Letter

Encore:
Beeswing

Encore 2:
Trying
Take a Heart
(The Sorrows cover)

Thanks Dan, I'm seeing him in York on the 22nd, glad to hear he's on top form.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by kuma

Mahler Symphony No.3

Andrés Orozco-Estradaconductor
Kelley O'Connor
mezzo-soprano

I've seen this young conductor last season and liked his energy and rhythmic ability. I was curious to hear this difficult Mahler's 3rd.

1st movement opened with terrific urgency and energy expect from the score and he handled the orchestra with exhilarating speed and timing. However, what he still lacking was the slower movement where more bloom and longer breathing space for the notes would have developed richer harmonic colours and atmosphere. His orchestra direction kind of reminded me of the Linn's house sound. ( spot on timing and excitement ). What I was missing was more of ARO/Naim-ness in 2-3-4th movement. So outer movements were great but inner 3 I felt that they lacked nuances and intimacy. He could have drown more out of each change of scores as after a while they started to sound a tad monotonous. Rhythm alone can't carry a vast Mahler program after all.

Alto soprano Kelley O'connor was good tho. Beautiful tone and great control. Can't say she was emotional as Dame Sarah Connoly, however.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by kuma
Morton posted:
kuma posted:
Morton posted:

Well that will be exciting, I would think she will be an ideal Elektra,  not only vocally but also because she is also a fine actress, I’m sure she will enjoy wading in the blood!

I can't wait! it's my first Lyric Opera!

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Basel Boy

Just back from seeing Barb Jungr and John McDaniel perform the songs of Sting at the Electric Theatre, Guildford. And intimate venue (maybe 30-40 in the audience) and a, well, electric experience. 

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by kevin J Carden

Tomorrow night. First visit to Brighton Dome since we moved to East Sussex. Old Young Bob is always reliable entertainment..

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Mulberry

Looking forward to Wednesday next week (October 24). A Band named ADHD comes to my hometown to play in the iconic Bunker Ulmenwall. I’ve been listening to a video posted on their website and really enjoy the music.

A quote from the site: “The band’s name ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) may be somewhat confusing indeed in the face of the hypnotic effect of their music. But GUÐJÓNSSON acknowledges that the music may even have a therapeutic effect on the group itself. As with a volcano, the energy first concentrates in the interior, only to erupt with all the more intensity and force. As well on there studio albums, ADHD focus on, and impress their audience with, their eruptive live energy“.

Anybody else going?

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Sloop John B

Ry Cooder brought out all the fans who were with him since the early days in Dublin last night. Continuing in the vain of his latest album, mainly a musical history masterclass. 

.sjb

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Hmack

I'm heading to Glasgow to see Ry Cooder tonight. Glad to hear he's on form.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Hmack

Well - he certainly didn't disappoint!

Lots more in the concert set from the "Bop Till You Drop" era than I had expected, which was certainly to my own personal taste. 

Wonderful stuff from a true legend.

A word of mention for his wonderful backing singers - the Hamiltones. They were superb, and one of them played a pretty mean guitar solo as well. 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by kuma

Marin Alsop/CSO
Daniil Trifonov

PROGRAM

Mantovani Threnos [World Premiere, CSO Commission] Dadicated to Marin Alsop
Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3
Bridge Lament
Copland Symphony No. 3

Program reflected of  the  Centennial of WW1 Armistice  in Oct/Nov. 

Opened with revetting Mantovani's new score depicting horrors and pain of war. As you'd guess typical of contemporary *classical* scores filled with atonal dissonant sounds peppered with many percussive accents to simulate guns and bombs. The duration it reminded me of uncertainty and miserable trench warfare which seemed go on forever. Solo violin in 2nd movement is equally horrific similar to watching shell shocked soldier's hysterical gait and tic'd facial expression. I think that the composer made the point of horror of war but I wish there was a bit more of poignant silence and twist like the ending of 'All Quiet on the Western Front' (Lewis Milestone,1930) rather than finishing off with expected loud finale. This would have given the score stronger impression.

Trifonov cancelled last season but glad he made it to Chicago this year. I thought he was going to play some Rachmaninof in keeping with his new LP release on DG but PC was just as much of a crowd pleaser. Alsop was very attentive to the pianist often glancing at him to make sure the band is in sinc with the pianist. Trifonov played with his usual grace and poise perhaps lacked a bit of muscle as if he was pulling back a bit. Nonetheless, no misplayed note! Bummer he did not play us any encore, tho. 

3rd program was a short piece by Bridge. Portrayal and feeling of the composer in the outbreak of the WW1 in UK.

The concert finished with Copland's Symphony 3. It was very nice since this piece does not get played often. Alsop lacked a bit of sweetness and perhaps a certain American optimism but Fanfare movement was majestic and inspiring. There's definitely Lenny DNA showing. CSO brass was just tremendous giving warm beautiful sheen and glow.