What concert did you attend in 2018?

Posted by: kuma on 01 January 2018

Starting a new thread for the new year!~

So did anyone go to the New Year's Concert in Vienna?

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by GeeJay

Caro Emerald last night in Brighton - excellent concert and lots of energy!

ATB. George.

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Gavin B

Coventry & Warwickshire Youth Orchestra, this afternoon in Coventry (to see my daughter play). See cwyo.org if anyone local is interested!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Peder
kevin J Carden posted:

Tomorrow night. First visit to Brighton Dome since we moved to East Sussex. Old Young Bob is always reliable entertainment..

???? Kevin J Carden,....Robert Cray and Tina Turner did some fantastic gigs together,..around 1985-1987.

Robert Cray was also "start-up band" in some of Tina's concerts during her "Private Dancer World Tour"

Some are on Youtube,..don’t have time to look for someone now.
Must get the morning coffee first ????????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by GeeJay

Jeff Lynne’s Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) at Manchester Evening News Arena on 5th October.  Band and light show were great, but feeling that Jeff was just ‘going through the motions’, and his heart wasn’t in it!

ATB.  George.

GeeJay posted:

Jeff Lynne’s Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) at Manchester Evening News Arena on 5th October.  Band and light show were great, but feeling that Jeff was just ‘going through the motions’, and ????his heart wasn’t in it!???? 

ATB. George 

???? Geejay,...Have also been at such concerts,it is disrespectful to the audience.
One such concert I went from,..is not the heart with..this is so evident as a listener.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Cbr600

Went to see Jools Holland last night in Dublin. Seen him a few times before and find his shows entertaining, but last nights concert was rubbish. The show was flat and uninteresting. Seemed like the musicians were just going through the motions and no real interest in putting on a show. Guest appearance by Marc Almond who was wooden and rubbish songs.

only saving grace was when Ruby Turner came on towards the end, and the show came to life. She is always amazing and was the only enjoyable thing about the show.

Cbr600 posted:

Went to see Jools Holland last night in Dublin. Seen him a few times before and find his shows entertaining, but last nights concert was rubbish. The show was flat and uninteresting. Seemed like the musicians were just going through the motions and no real interest in putting on a show. Guest appearance by Marc Almond who was wooden and rubbish songs.

only saving grace was when Ruby Turner came on towards the end, and the show came to life. She is always amazing and was the only enjoyable thing about the show.

???? Cbr600,....Sorry to hear you almost got a wasted evening.

Here we have the difference between real pros,who respect their audience....
And those who believe that if you only become enough big,..So you don't have to bother,.???? just so badly.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Kevin-W
Peder posted:

Here we have the difference between real pros,who respect their audience....
And those who believe that if you only become enough big,..So you don't have to bother,.???? just so badly.

/Peder ????

Some of the best gigs I have ever seen have been by acts who care little for their audience - indeed, some even had open contempt or hostility towards their fans.  Beginning with Pink Floyd in 1977, the list would also include New Order, The Fall, Dylan, Jesus & Mary Chain, Einsturzende Neubauten, The Birthday Party, Nick Cave solo, Throbbing Gristle...

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Looking forward to my first classical concert of the season - tomorrow..

Pinchas Zukerman & Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

Dienstag, 23.10.2018 | 20:00 Uhr | Meistersingerhalle

Pinchas Zukerman | Violine
Lahav Shani | Dirigent
Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

Pinchas Zukerman

Bloch, Winter-Frühling (1905)
Bruch, Violinkonzert Nr. 1 g-Moll op. 26
Brahms, Symphonie Nr. 4 e-Moll op. 98

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Pev

Vieux Farka Toure at the Fleece in Bristol last night. Absolutely stunning guitar work that instantly transported you to the Sahara. Last time I saw him he was with a full band and I was disappointed before he came on to see he was playing solo. Now I would be disappointed if he played with a band! He actually said he found playing with a band to be restrictive.

Catch him if you can. He is billed as "The Hendrix of the Sahara". I was lucky enough to see Hendrix live more than once - he is not Hendrix but he is in a similar class of virtuosity and originality. 

A bumper week for live music - off to London later for Blues Fest at the O2. John Fogerty and Steve Miller on Thursday, then Robert Plant and Van Morrison on Friday. Life is good 

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:

Looking forward to my first classical concert of the season - tomorrow..

Pinchas Zukerman & Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

Dienstag, 23.10.2018 | 20:00 Uhr | Meistersingerhalle

Pinchas Zukerman | Violine
Lahav Shani | Dirigent
Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

Pinchas Zukerman

Bloch, Winter-Frühling (1905)
Bruch, Violinkonzert Nr. 1 g-Moll op. 26
Brahms, Symphonie Nr. 4 e-Moll op. 98

The concert was a good start of the season. The orchestra was in good form, and has an interesting young conductor. Pinchas was playing good, while I also wasn’t completely thrilled. While the 2nd movement was done very well.

A pity no encores...

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by Dougie Danger

I really enjoyed the Lissie gig at the Shepherds Bush Empire a few weeks ago.  I also thought "The Travelling Band" that played with her were really good. I've been listening to them on Tidal recently and plan to purchase a coupe of their albums.

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by Kevin-W

Part of the annual Streatham Festival, The Streatham Strut (6th October) is a genius concept: 10 bands performing over 10 hours (noon to 10pm) in 10 different venues, all within the Streatham area. Gig-goers were issued with a "passport" stamped at each venue. Those with all 10 stamps were entered into a draw for a prize.

On at 8pm (until 8.40pm) were Ese & The Vooduu People, performing at The Mere Scribbler pub on the streatham High Road. The band went down a storm and were deemed to be one of the highlights (if not THE highlight) of the festival.

Setlist: Fairytale – Where Did I Go Wrong? – Dub – I Don't Mind – Grey – Up In Smoke – Alien – Silver Spoon.

Next day, 7th October, it was off to The Hand in Hand (Brixton) to catch one of the regular Sunday night jam sessions held there. These are always worth attending, as there's a guge amount of musical talent in Brixton and the surrounding areas (Streatham, Peckham, Balham, Camberwell etc). Sometimes everything and everyone gels and something magical happens - this particular night was one of those nights.

This time round, it was the turn of none other than Ese and her Vooduu People (or an enormously expanded version thereof). These low-key nights are always a good way to road-test new songs, new arangements and try out some new cover versions, just for fun.

Setlist:

SET 1: Jam #1 – Jam #2 – Jam #3 – Up in Smoke – Where Did I Go Wrong? – Dub – Family Affair (Sly Stone song) –  Peace of Mind – Keep On – I Wanna Be Adored (Stone Roses song) – I Don't Mind – Grey – Alien – Silver Spoon –

SET 2: On and On (Erykah Badu song) – Look What Happened – I'm A Magpie – Why Does Hurt When I Pee? (Frank Zappa song) – Funky Jam – Hit The Road Jack (Ray Charles song) – Feelin' Good (Nina Simone song) – Money (Barrett Strong song) – Funky Jam #2

12th October off to the BBC (that's the Balham Bowls Club in SW12, not the UK's national public service broadcaster). It was my business partner's 60th birthday, and he hired the venue and a band to celebrate in style.

The band he engaged (of course) was the one he co-manages with me - Ese & The Vooduu People (Ese playing a borrowed red Tele while her Strat was being refurbed). A great set full of originals and choice covers - and I even got a (belated) birthday song at the end.

Set 1: Up in Smoke – I Don't Mind – My Girl (Temptations Song)  – Keep On – Alien – She Said (Plan B song) – Peace of Mind – Where Did I Go Wrong? – Dub – Family Affair (Sly Stone song)

Set 2: Grey – Fairytale – Fly Away (Lenny Kravitz song) – A Change Gonna Come (Sam Cooke song) – Dynamite – I Wanna Be Adored (Stone Roses song) – Silver Spoon – Happy Birthday Kevin & Mat

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by kuma

Haitink/CSO 
Paul Lewis piano

PROGRAM

Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 2
Bruckner Symphony No. 6

Last time I saw Haitink conduct CSO was 2 years ago. Everytime he comes around it's a wonderful treat and so far he has not let me down. ( odd that I never liked his Philip/Concertgebowv performances ) This season he's back with Bruckner's 6th. His symphony needs to be heard live. Haitink's skillful pacing and big boned 1st movement contrasting sensitive almost sensual Adagio. Here's the real master who can do the big thing as well as small things. ( sort of like a good hi fi system ) He also was able to draw out warm rich tone out of the band. CSO brass again here was a star with a seamless top to bottom.

Hard to believe he's going to be 90 next year but there was a scare after the program was over as he was stepping up to take a bow he tripped and fell on the stage. I saw he did not raise his foot high enough for the step and luckily one of the violin player caught him quickly enough to prevent a hard fall. What a pro! He took 2 more bows after the incident. My friend loved it so much he also attended Saturday concert ( he did not cancel) and the last US engagement is next tuesday. I have a feeling this was going to be the last I get to see him perform as he is going to take a sabbatical after he turns 90 next  year. Looking at his schedule next year, there's nothing after January. If you are near Amsterdam in December he'll be back with his old chum Concertgebowv, so give it up for the maestro! It might be his last.

This snipet of recording does not do justice to the real thing but talk about the HUGE dynamic contrasts. He had everyone on the edge of the seat.  

Lewis' Beethoven PC2 was rather pale in comparison.  For me it was too straight lacking a sense of fun and playfulness.

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Morton
kuma posted:

Haitink/CSO 
Paul Lewis piano

PROGRAM

Bruckner Symphony No. 6

Last time I saw Haitink conduct CSO was 2 years ago. Everytime he comes around it's a wonderful treat and so far he has not let me down. ( odd that I never liked his Philip/Concertgebowv performances ) This season he's back with Bruckner's 6th. His symphony needs to be heard live.

I agree, no hi fi system I have ever heard comes close to replicating a full Bruckner sized orchestra.

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Mercky

Robert Plant and his Shakeshifters last night in the Three Arena Dublin, final gig of current tour. Brilliant gig with a seriously talented tight band. Great to see the man himself and the nearest I’ll ever get to a Zep gig. Lots of Zep originals thrown in too - black dog, whole lotta love and a good few more mixed in with his current Carry Fire material, Van was on beforehand and although I’m a fan he was a bit dull.

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y
kuma posted:

Haitink/CSO 
Paul Lewis piano

PROGRAM

Bruckner Symphony No. 6

Last time I saw Haitink conduct CSO was 2 years ago. Everytime he comes around it's a wonderful treat and so far he has not let me down. ( odd that I never liked his Philip/Concertgebowv performances ) This season he's back with Bruckner's 6th. His symphony needs to be heard live. Haitink's skillful pacing and big boned 1st movement contrasting sensitive almost sensual Adagio. Here's the real master who can do the big thing as well as small things. ( sort of like a good hi fi system ) He also was able to draw out warm rich tone out of the band. CSO brass again here was a star with a seamless top to bottom.

Hard to believe he's going to be 90 next year but there was a scare after the program was over as he was stepping up to take a bow he tripped and fell on the stage. I saw he did not raise his foot high enough for the step and luckily one of the violin player caught him quickly enough to prevent a hard fall. What a pro! He took 2 more bows after the incident. My friend loved it so much he also attended Saturday concert ( he did not cancel) and the last US engagement is next tuesday. I have a feeling this was going to be the last I get to see him perform as he is going to take a sabbatical after he turns 90 next  year. Looking at his schedule next year, there's nothing after January. If you are near Amsterdam in December he'll be back with his old chum Concertgebowv, so give it up for the maestro! It might be his last.

This snipet of recording does not do justice to the real thing but talk about the HUGE dynamic contrasts. He had everyone on the edge of the seat.  

Lewis' Beethoven PC2 was rather pale in comparison.  For me it was too straight lacking a sense of fun and playfulness.

Thanks for mentioning, I just have booked two of the last available tickets. Its been years since I've been in the Concertgebouw. Last time I attended Mozart 41.

For me Bruckner is getting more impressive year by year.

By the way, when I auditioned my Supernait, I got to know that it is not impossible to communicate the dynamics of Bruckner.

Looking forward

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Dave***t

Given the love shown here, it's worth mentioning that Bruckner is the composer of the week on Radio 3 this week.  Today's first programme told the tale of some of his obsessive tendencies, and included some really quite wonderful music - I'm not yet all that familiar with Bruckner's music, but the penny began to drop when listening to it earlier today.  Especially the piece he apparently wrote partly as convalescence from mental health issues, the Kyrie from his mass #3.

It's here, should anyone want to listen - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000xj8#play

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by Peakman

I was recently in Manchester to hear the Halle playing the Dvorak Cello Concerto and Vaughan Williams' London Symphony.  I do think the Halle are on very good form and  I enjoyed Jian Wang in the concerto, but for me the standout was Andrew Manze conducting the symphony.  It can be rather too easy to let a lot of early VW turn into meandering pleasantness, but Manze's reading was much more dramatic than that whilst not short-changing the quieter reflective passages -- very moving throughout.  I see Manze is part way through a cycle of VW symphonies (with the Royal Liverpool rather than the Halle), which has been gathering some excellent reviews and I can now see why.

Roger

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by ct

just realised, quite late in the day, that my favourite band are appearing in Manchester next weekend so a ticket to the Cowboy Junkies at the RNCM is booked and on its way.........

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by kuma
Ardbeg10y posted:
kuma posted:

Haitink/CSO 

Paul Lewis piano

PROGRAM

Bruckner Symphony No. 6

Thanks for mentioning, I just have booked two of the last available tickets. Its been years since I've been in the Concertgebouw. Last time I attended Mozart 41.

For me Bruckner is getting more impressive year by year.

By the way, when I auditioned my Supernait, I got to know that it is not impossible to communicate the dynamics of Bruckner.

Looking forward

That's wonderful! ( I hope to make it there someday tho their dirigent is in flex, atm )

What program is he doing?

Dave***t posted:

Given the love shown here, it's worth mentioning that Bruckner is the composer of the week on Radio 3 this week.  Today's first programme told the tale of some of his obsessive tendencies, and included some really quite wonderful music - I'm not yet all that familiar with Bruckner's music, but the penny began to drop when listening to it earlier today.  Especially the piece he apparently wrote partly as convalescence from mental health issues, the Kyrie from his mass #3.

It's here, should anyone want to listen - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000xj8#play

Thanks for that good URL.

It does take a bit of commitment from a listener to appreciate Bruckner's work ( or Mahler for that matter ) but I find it rewarding. I am still discovering what he's on about little by little. 

Yes. Bruckner had all sorts of fetish including numbers, obsessing over young virgins and corpses. ( albeit not together, mind you. :/ )And interesting fellow, for sure. Ken Russel did the film on him but I find it too abstract and not believable. In the same vein as his Lisztomania but not as good. 

Peakman posted:

I was recently in Manchester to hear the Halle playing the Dvorak Cello Concerto and Vaughan Williams' London Symphony.  I do think the Halle are on very good form and  I enjoyed Jian Wang in the concerto, but for me the standout was Andrew Manze conducting the symphony.  It can be rather too easy to let a lot of early VW turn into meandering pleasantness, but Manze's reading was much more dramatic than that whilst not short-changing the quieter reflective passages -- very moving throughout.  I see Manze is part way through a cycle of VW symphonies (with the Royal Liverpool rather than the Halle), which has been gathering some excellent reviews and I can now see why.

Is Manze the music director for the Halle?

The orchestra, in my mind, still so strongly tied to Sir Barbirolli.