What concert did you attend in 2018?

Posted by: kuma on 01 January 2018

Starting a new thread for the new year!~

So did anyone go to the New Year's Concert in Vienna?

Posted on: 31 October 2018 by seakayaker

This past Saturday night I took in the Jakob Bro Trio with Jakob, Thomas Morgan and Joey Baron. A wonderful performance featuring the songs from the newly released album, "Bay of Rainbows" along with a few tracks from past releases. They projected a lot of joy during their performance with a lot of smiles while interacting with each other.

Jakob Bro Trio

( photo found at: http://www.jazzecho.de/aktuell...richtungen-offen-ist 

Posted on: 31 October 2018 by seakayaker

This past Sunday attended a performance by Ron Miles, Bill Frisell and Brian Blade. Ron introduced the group as the 'Circuit Riders' and made for a very enjoyable Sunday evening. A wonderful performance by this trio. I had seen Ron Miles play with the Wayne Horwitz Gravitas Quartet a couple of time in the past and enjoyed his work. I had also seen Bill twice earlier this year playing with Thomas Morgan when  touring and promoting the 'Small Town' album. Bill is fun to watch during his performances and his music always brings a smile to my face. First time seeing Brian Blade perform on drums and from the applause he received when introduced he has quite a following. As a bonus the 'Circuit Riders' were proceeded on the stage by a four string quartet plus clarinet that performed a composition by local Jazz artist Wayne Horwitz which was not on the bill of fare but was a lovely surprise.

Circuit Riders - Photo

( photo found at: http://www.cpr.org/news/story/...ation-circuit-riders  - with the following credit:  Photo by John Spiral, courtesy of Hans Wendl Produktion )

Posted on: 01 November 2018 by Hmack
ct posted:

just realised, quite late in the day, that my favourite band are appearing in Manchester next weekend so a ticket to the Cowboy Junkies at the RNCM is booked and on its way.........

Enjoy the concert CT. They have been a favourite of mine as well ever since I bought the 'Trinity Sessions' album when it first came out very many years ago.

I have always wanted to see them live, but I had no idea that they had a 2018 UK tour until this morning when I read your post. Unfortunately, their gig in Glasgow tomorrow is at one of Glasgow's smaller venue and is sold out so unfortunately I won't get to see them this time round. Strange that they are performing at the very small Mitchell Theatre. It's a lovely intimate little venue, but I'd have thought the Cowboy Junkies could easily have sold out the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall if perhaps not the two largest Glasgow venues.   

Still, never mind. I'll just have to hope this isn't their last tour of the UK. 

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Ardbeg10y
kuma posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:
kuma posted:

Haitink/CSO 

Paul Lewis piano

PROGRAM

Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 2
Bruckner Symphony No. 6

Hard to believe he's going to be 90 next year but there was a scare after the program was over as he was stepping up to take a bow he tripped and fell on the stage. I saw he did not raise his foot high enough for the step and luckily one of the violin player caught him quickly enough to prevent a hard fall. What a pro! He took 2 more bows after the incident. My friend loved it so much he also attended Saturday concert ( he did not cancel) and the last US engagement is next tuesday. I have a feeling this was going to be the last I get to see him perform as he is going to take a sabbatical after he turns 90 next  year. Looking at his schedule next year, there's nothing after January. If you are near Amsterdam in December he'll be back with his old chum Concertgebowv, so give it up for the maestro! It might be his last.

Thanks for mentioning, I just have booked two of the last available tickets. Its been years since I've been in the Concertgebouw. Last time I attended Mozart 41.

For me Bruckner is getting more impressive year by year.

By the way, when I auditioned my Supernait, I got to know that it is not impossible to communicate the dynamics of Bruckner.

Looking forward

That's wonderful! ( I hope to make it there someday tho their dirigent is in flex, atm )

What program is he doing?

Its Bruckner 6 and Mozarts piano concert 23 - played by Uchida.

Unfortunately, Bruckner 6 is not my favorite - that's Bruckner 5 for all its counterpoint. But the sound of all the copper will compensate for that I assume.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by nickpeacock

John Grant at Brixton Academy, Tuesday 30th October.

I really like John Grant - some of his songs are pretty much perfect (and, when the call eventually comes, 'Glacier' is one of my Desert Island Discs). But I can't help feeling that his latest album sacrifices tunes in favour of sounds. The sounds themselves are good - I always liked the electronic side of JG's work. But think about wonderful songs like 'Marz' and 'It Doesn't Matter to Him', even stuff he didn't play from his third solo album like 'Down Here' and 'Disappointing'. Where have those wonderful, life-affirming tunes gone?

I think John Grant is treading water when he could and should be walking on it. 7/10.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by JedT

Pixies last night at the Roundhouse - original line up with Kim Deal

I hadn't seen them since, ahem, 1990.

They played essentially all of "Come on Pilgrim" and "Surfer Rosa" and not much else. Personal favorites.

They were sounding great - tight rhythm section with Joey Santiago hanging off it and Black Francis doing his thing.

I know it's a bit of a cliche but they must be one of the most influential bands of their era. 

Well worth catching if you get the chance. 

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by nickpeacock
JedT posted:

They played essentially all of "Come on Pilgrim" and "Surfer Rosa" and not much else. Personal favorites.

They were sounding great - tight rhythm section with Joey Santiago hanging off it and Black Francis doing his thing.

I know it's a bit of a cliche but they must be one of the most influential bands of their era. 

I reckon I last saw them in 1990 too. One of the very few gigs I've ever been to where the music felt truly dangerous. I bloody loved it. I've been uncertain about seeing them in the "revival" years - maybe I should give it a go...

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by JedT

I know what you mean about danger - harder to achieve when you are in your 50s! Still they did a great job of that early stuff - no padding, short and sharp with Francis fully committed to his howling and wailing, all the quirky timing that made it all so different and interesting. My mate who has played in bands, recorded, etc. had the best comment at the end - "you can tell no A&R man ever got away with telling them what to play or how to play it - it's all straight from their gut"

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Chunky
nickpeacock posted:

John Grant at Brixton Academy, Tuesday 30th October.

I really like John Grant - some of his songs are pretty much perfect (and, when the call eventually comes, 'Glacier' is one of my Desert Island Discs). But I can't help feeling that his latest album sacrifices tunes in favour of sounds. The sounds themselves are good - I always liked the electronic side of JG's work. But think about wonderful songs like 'Marz' and 'It Doesn't Matter to Him', even stuff he didn't play from his third solo album like 'Down Here' and 'Disappointing'. Where have those wonderful, life-affirming tunes gone?

I think John Grant is treading water when he could and should be walking on it. 7/10.

I know what you mean.  I thought a bit like this with Pale Green Ghosts, but eventually I got into it.  I've got the Grey Tickles album, but haven't had chance to listen to it properly. I've not got the new album (which by the way has a seriously weird cover) - I think I will see how I get on with Grey Tickles first.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Chunky
nickpeacock posted:
JedT posted:

I reckon I last saw them in 1990 too. One of the very few gigs I've ever been to where the music felt truly dangerous. I bloody loved it. I've been uncertain about seeing them in the "revival" years - maybe I should give it a go...

I saw them in 1991, at what was then known as G-Mex in Manchester.  Despite this not being a great venue, the gig was thrilling and intense with surprisingly good sound.  Certainly one of the best bands I have seen live.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by kuma
Ardbeg10y posted:
kuma posted:

Its Bruckner 6 and Mozarts piano concert 23 - played by Uchida.

Unfortunately, Bruckner 6 is not my favorite - that's Bruckner 5 for all its counterpoint. But the sound of all the copper will compensate for that I assume.

I am curious to know your thoughts on the performance. 6th isn't popular as 5th but I think Haitink made it worthwhile for me.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

I saw the Tord Gustavsen Trio last night, at the Turner Sims in Southampton, with Christopher M of this forum. Tord was wonderful, and it was good to catch up with Chris too. 

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Numptyhead

Went to see the venerable King Crimson at Bournemouth at the start of their UK tour. As usual - they were good - but on this occasion not great.

As Mr Fripp acknowledged in his blog - a little rustiness was there. I heard a few minor mistakes but if you haven't seen this 3 drummer version of KC, then they are a startling beast to behold. As we all know - messrs Fripp and Levin are simply forensic masters of their instruments.

The big however - is that they urgently need some new material or a new studio album. They have been picking from various epochs of KC repertoire, but constant repeats of Red, Starless, Schizoid Man is beginning to grate a little (with me at least, and I've been a fan since the early 70s). 

Of course its excellent having them back on the road performing again, and Mr Fripp is hardly likely to let them become a prog/jazz version of the Rolling Stones is he?

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Numptyhead

But the big news for me this week was seeing TC&I at the Swindon Arts Centre.

If you didn't know - TC&I is a new band formed by Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers - both late of XTC.

And if you also didn't know - Mr Moulding wrote a whole bunch of XTC hits like Making Plans for Nigel and Generals & Majors. All were played alongside XTC gems like Grass, King for a Day and the Meeting Place. For XTC fans (like moi) it was time to curl up and go to heaven. Due to Andy Partridge's stage fright etc - I never thought I would ever hear these songs played live. And now I have. Lump in throat time. And then some......

TC&I played all the songs from their excellent EP Great Aspirations of which Greatness was particularly excellent. 

And don't get me started on how great were XTC. I could bore all day on that one. So here goes. Sitting comfortably?  Well...…...let me see...…..

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Christopher_M
hungryhalibut posted:

I saw the Tord Gustavsen Trio last night, at the Turner Sims in Southampton, with Christopher M of this forum. Tord was wonderful, and it was good to catch up with Chris too. 

Good to see you Nigel, we had a right old chinwag.

Loved the music, especially the older stuff. I thought the sound was excellent. The band were the epitome of Scandi Cool, prompting the vague thought, 'is it too late for skinny black jeans?' Yes.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Bert Schurink
hungryhalibut posted:

Looking forward to see him end of January in Erlangen...

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet

ELO at the O2 recently

Great concept...

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by GeeJay
Japtimscarlet posted:

ELO at the O2 recently

Great concept...

Was Jeff Lynne on good form at O2, or did he ‘cruise it’ as he did in Manchester (click link)?

ATB. George.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by lyndon

Saturday at Wembley Arena 

Slayer - their last UK tour

supported by Lamb of God

im more of a LoG fan myself and as mosh pits go this was a big one, fortunately we were seated at the back where perhaps we could concentrate on the dynamics and nuances 

lyndon

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by kuma

Czech Philharmonic/Semyon Bychkov
Alisa Weilerstein: cello

PROGRAM

Dvo?ák Cello Concerto
Dvo?ák Symphony No. 9 (From the New World)

Dvo?ák Slavonic Dance in E Minor, Op. 72, No. 2 [ENCORE]
Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G Minor [ENCORE]

Such a nice treat to hear Czech Philharmonic with all Dvorak concert. It is hard to beat Du Pre but  Alisa's emotional and delicate touch was just as good if not better. The tone of her cello was perhaps a bit dry and less fluid particularly in dynamic moments, than Jackie's but the orchestra's warm smooth tone complimented it so worked well as a whole. I also loved the interaction between the young first violin and Alisa.

The band did the dramatic Symphony 9 very well as they completely changed the disposition for the program. Gone is that smooth laid backness and now they are so together and tight almost like chamber music like cohesion and precision. The whole band seem to be having  a great time often smiling at each other and/or smiling Bychkov. I got the feeling they really like him.

They closed the concert with  several popular dance tunes. I hope they'll come back again. Maybe next time they can play Mozart's Prague Symphony.

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by TK421

Sunday 4th November - St Davids Hall, Cardiff - Welsh National Opera - International Concert Series

Conductor - Tomas Hanus; Soloist - Narek Hakhnazaryan (Cello); Soloist - Gustav Belacek (Baritone)

Rossini - William Tell Overture

Elgar - Cello Concerto

Janacek - The Cunning Little Vixen Forester's Monologue

Janacek - Sinfonietta

We sat in the cheap seats behind the stage. Fantastic to hear the William Tell Overture live very dramatic and moving.

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Pev

The Decemberists last night at Bristol Academy. Third time I've seen them there and as excellent as ever - sold out  with an enthusiastic audience and great atmosphere. 

Colin Molloy is slowly morphing into a rock god, with guitar hero poses and Roger Daltrey type microphone twirling antics! 

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

Had yesterday a nice evening with a strong Russian flare... the actors and the program was as follows....

Nikolai Tokarev | Klavier
Vladimir Spivakov | Dirigent
Russische Nationalphilharmonie

Tschaikowsky, Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 b-Moll op. 23
Strawinsky, Divertimento aus dem Ballett „Der Kuss der Fee“
Tschaikowsky, Suite aus dem Ballett „Dornröschen“ op. 66a

Zugaben:
– zum Ende der 1. Konzerthälfte:
J.S. Bach: Präludium e-Moll in einer Bearbeitung von A.I. Siloti

– zum Ende des Konzertes:
A. Schnittke: Adagio aus dem Ballet ‚Labyrinthe‘
D. Schostakowitsch: Intermezzo aus der Oper ‚Katerina Ismailowa‘ op. 29/114
A. Chatschaturjan: Walzer aus der Bühenmusik für das Theaterstück Maskerade
A. Chatschaturjan: ‚Lezginka‘ aus dem Ballett ‚Gayaneh‘

The first part with the famous piano concerto was quite enjoyable, while I also was missing at the same time the last level of refinement which I would get from a Daniil Trifonov. But as close at home as these concerts I also have to be realistic that I don’t get the A plus artists...

The 2nd part of the concert was for me a surprise given the amount of encores for the Orchester. And that was also an indication of what I heard. It was good playing, but with already that feeling in the Orchester that they already have the price before getting to the end. The last level of refinement was however missing. So good but not great. The program was a nice mix of well connected music......