What wine are you drinking today ?

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 19 June 2016

Was most disgruntled to find that one of the best threads has CLOSED, so if no one minds I'll start it again.

£8.00 from Marks and Sparks. Very good Rose.

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Kiwi cat

2010 Vajra Barbera d’Alba. Fully mature with brownish red colour. Full rich palate of dark cherries and gentle tanniin and slightly bitter finish. Not bad with smashed avocado in the garden. 

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Watchet

Musar Jeune; amazing valueMusar Jeune

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Kiwi cat
Watchet posted:

Musar Jeune; amazing valueMusar Jeune

It’s amazing how such a wonderful wine can be made in such a troubled region. Long may the Musars keep doing so.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Eoink
Kiwi cat posted:
Watchet posted:

Musar Jeune; amazing value

It’s amazing how such a wonderful wine can be made in such a troubled region. Long may the Musars keep doing so.

When Serge Hochar was first evangelising the wine around the world, he told the tale of the villagers sheltering in his cellars during one of the bloodier years of the civil war in the ‘80s.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by nickpeacock

From the NY Times obituary of the legendary Serge Hochar:

“Despite shells falling in vineyards and Israeli tanks appearing at the winery, where the wine cellar doubled as a bomb shelter, Musar missed only one vintage during the war, in 1976, when electricity was out and roads were impassable, Mr. Hochar said.”

Talk about the oenological front line...

Felt like something rich a few days ago. 2000 Rieussec. Deep amber colour, a palate of burnt orange marmalade, dried apricots and dark honey. Not overly sweet, richness nicely counterpoised with gentle acidity. 2 days after opening it I cooked up a pea and bacon risotto. The recipe called for 150ml dry white wine, there was none available so I added the Rieussec, not ideal, but the risotto was none the worse for it! I still have 300ml to go and like Eoinks Grman Loosen wine,the Sauternes can live in the fridge for days without deteriorating. I’ll make sure to have some $10  Sauvignon Blanc on hand when I next make the risotto in the future !

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Eoink

Ooh, what a lovely colour, I love the depth of tone of aged Sauternes, sounds like it tastes just as lovely. You should post your recipe for Sauternes risotto on the ‘Net, it could become a cult item. 

I've got a recipe for Moet Champagne on Weetabix. Very good eye opener on a sunday morning.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Bob the Builder
Kiwi cat posted:

I've got a recipe for Moet Champagne on Weetabix. Very good eye opener on a sunday morning.

When visiting relatives in Spain I always visit the small fishing port of Cabo de Palos and join the locals in a breakfast of an Asiatico which is very strong coffee, Licor 43, Spanish Brandy and condensed milk lots of sugar and sugary donuts the clue is not to have a second which can take some will power on my part because after the second a third will followed after which a day of drinking can and has ensued.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by rodwsmith

The last two days of our WSET course in Monaco.

A lot to cover in five days - fingers crossed the they all pass...

Cheers!

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by ekfc63

The wine dinners are coming thick and fast.  Wine loving family in town for a birthday fortnight.  Loved the Egly-Ouriet, H.Billiot and Puligny.  One more dinner tonight.  Will probably need to start taking Alka Seltzer soon.....

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Kiwi cat

What a wonderful series of wines! The Leoville  Barton is still in its diapers maybe that’s why it did not stand out. The Egly Ouriet is a great champagne, it is a pity that it’s basic cuvée is going to be £70 this year. I am envious of your wonderful wine loving family. Most of mine are happy with Black Tower!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by ekfc63

Wonderful but it’s a two edged sword. At least Black Tower is affordable!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Jonners
ekfc63 posted:

Wonderful but it’s a two edged sword. At least Black Tower is affordable!

I can't decide which is the better wine - Black Tower or Blue Nun, though for the same money it's possible to get Sherry which won't be up to much but the higher alcahol content means you stop caring after a couple of glasses, it lasts forever and you can make a trifle and a nice mushroom sauce from the dregs.        

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by rodwsmith

Sherry doesn’t last forever!

(Not in our house anyway)

<<wine geek mode : on>>

In all seriousness, Sherry really does not keep indefinitely. Light Fino Sherry should be consumed - as any other wine - within a few days, and even deliberately oxidised Sherry will go off if left in an open bottle for more than a few weeks.

In my experience people who say they cannot stand Sherry are invariably basing this view on experience of *stale* Sherry (which is fair enough, but not exactly the wine’s fault). At least the days of Dry Sack on an optic (so-to-speak) are now gone.

<<wine geek mode : off>>

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Jonners
rodwsmith posted:

Sherry doesn’t last forever!

(Not in our house anyway)

<<wine geek mode : on>>

In all seriousness, Sherry really does not keep indefinitely. Light Fino Sherry should be consumed - as any other wine - within a few days, and even deliberately oxidised Sherry will go off if left in an open bottle for more than a few weeks.

In my experience people who say they cannot stand Sherry are invariably basing this view on experience of *stale* Sherry (which is fair enough, but not exactly the wine’s fault). At least the days of Dry Sack on an optic (so-to-speak) are now gone.

<<wine geek mode : off>>

I must apologise for being facetious. Like German Riesling, I think Sherry is much underrated and both suffer from an image issue following heavy promotional campaigns in the 1970's. A chilled Fino is a lovely thing to sip with Tapas and brilliant value considering the work that goes into it, a world away from Emva Cream and Croft Original!

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by ekfc63

My last wine pic for this "series".   Post dinner flight of '96 Bordeaux.  The Clos du Marquis was tight (less than 30 min decant),  the Lafon Rochet was more open and enjoyable.  The Clerc Milon was as it usually is (ime) i.e. middle of the road nothing outstanding Bordeaux.

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by rodwsmith

Today, these (amongst others). Currently leading a tour of Bordeaux. It's really hard work, as you can imagine.

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by ekfc63
rodwsmith posted:

Today, these (amongst others). Currently leading a tour of Bordeaux. It's really hard work, as you can imagine.

Looks like bloody hard work drinking d'Yquem.  Somebody's got to do it right!

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by John Willmott

Marijuana has only been legal here in Canada for just over a week .. quality control down the tubes already .. sheesh .. 

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by rodwsmith

Médoc yesterday!

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by nickpeacock

Vernay - Sainte-Agathe Syrah 2016

Next in my recent purchases of Vernay Syrahs from Yapp Brothers, this softened nicely on drinking, though is perhaps slightly less memorable than the other two...

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by nickpeacock

Domaine de le Mordorée, Lirac 2007 Cuvée La Reine des Bois

Oh my, this is such a treat. Sometimes referred to as a mini-Chateauneuf du Pape. But only by people who are too idle to differentiate how subtly softer this delightful wine is. A velvet fist in a velvet glove.

And I still have two bottles left!

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Eoink

1996 Chambolle Musigny Les Chatelots Domaine Ghislaine Bhartod.

The last of 3 I bought from Layton’s (probably) just after release, so pretty much at en primeur price of around £20-25 a bottle, the others drunk a few years ago.  Decanted for a couple of hours, lovely nose of dark red fruits with earth and mushrooms. On the palate you’re hit with the aggressive 1996 Burgundy acidity, I love acidic wines, so that’s fine for me, YMMV. The fruit flavours are lovely, red currant, strawberry, cherry, earthy and mushroom flavours, white pepper, cinnamon, lovely perfume of spicy red fruits, stays in the mouth for ages. It’s powerful and concentrated, very pure fruits with the secondary mature flavours, not the power of the very finest premier crus, but a very lovely wine if you like acidity in your wine.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Eoink
nickpeacock posted:

Domaine de le Mordorée, Lirac 2007 Cuvée La Reine des Bois

Oh my, this is such a treat. Sometimes referred to as a mini-Chateauneuf du Pape. But only by people who are too idle to differentiate how subtly softer this delightful wine is. A velvet fist in a velvet glove.

And I still have two bottles left!

Ooh, looks lovely. I do like Lirac, and that looks to have great depth of colour after 10 years, suggesting it’s still young on the palate. Personally I find a lot of CndPs a bit clumsy and unsubtle, whil ai have found most Liracs generous and lovely.