What was the last vinyl you bought?

Posted by: apye! on 18 January 2011

As the original post is no more I thought I would start a new one.

Arrived today in the post:

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Dan Steel

Released November 16th.  ????

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

Miles Davis - Tallest Tress - 1981 French reissue on Carriere Records

Sonny Red, Blue Mitchell & Grannt Green - Images - 1984 French Reissue on Jazzland

Ella Fitzgerals & Joe Pass - Take Love Easy - UK 1st Press on Pablo Records

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by kevin J Carden

First venture into MoFi land. I blame you lot and too much red wine one night a few weeks ago...

but very much Looking forward to spinning a few of these tomorrow night and finding out if the enthusiasm for this label is justified. 

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by naim_nymph
kevin J Carden posted:

First venture into MoFi land. I blame you lot and too much red wine one night a few weeks ago...

but very much Looking forward to spinning a few of these tomorrow night and finding out if the enthusiasm for this label is justified. 

^

+1 Pretenders album - one of my favourite LPs 

Bought a copy shorty after release on a very cold January day in 1980,

When i got it home on my motorcycle had to thaw my hands out before playing it : P

Play it loud and enjoy, Kev : )

Debs

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by kevin J Carden
naim_nymph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

^

+1 Pretenders album - one of my favourite LPs 

Bought a copy shorty after release on a very cold January day in 1980,

When i got it home on my motorcycle had to thaw my hands out before playing it : P

Play it loud and enjoy, Kev : )

Debs

Thanks Debs. It’s a big fave of mine too, far and away their best IMO. The loss of James Honeyman Scott really took away a big part of what made the band special I fear. 

I bought my first copy about the same time that you did, but being a poor student in London at the time I bought the cheapest option and that was a Greek pressing from a dodgy, cut price place that I don’t recall the name of now. It actually sounds fine, so it will be interesting to hear what the MoFi cut brings to the party. Looking forward to it!

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Tony2011
kevin J Carden posted:

Excellent selection, Kevin. I remember listening to that James Gang album and Funk#49 the day it came out. My first intro to the band and Joe Walsh. Brilliant album.

Enjoy them!

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by christoph
kevin J Carden posted:

You bought mofi from the first and second generation. I am interested how you find the difference. Christoph 

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by kevin J Carden
christoph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

You bought mofi from the first and second generation. I am interested how you find the difference. Christoph 

Interesting Christoph. Which is which and how do I tell the difference please?

I’m guessing second gen is considered not as good? Or...

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Dan Steel

Kenny Wheeler- Flutter By Butterfly

kevin J Carden posted:
christoph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

First generation is 140g vinyl, second is 200g. First gen vinyl is clear, you can see through, if you hold it in front of a lamp. The first were released in the eighties, from number 1-001 to about 1-200. pretenters is from the first serie, i like the first very much, but it is not everyones taste.

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Premmyboy
christoph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:
christoph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

First generation is 140g vinyl, second is 200g. First gen vinyl is clear, you can see through, if you hold it in front of a lamp. The first were released in the eighties, from number 1-001 to about 1-200. pretenters is from the first serie, i like the first very much, but it is not everyones taste.

Hi Chaps,

Not sure that is correct. The first series started late 70’s into the 80’s and was on light weight vinyl. Don’t think Pretenders was in that series though. Afterwards the anadisc 200 gram series was released. Mofi then released the silver label series (budget version) alongside ultra analog range which is still going today. If you go to Mofi website you can check all the various releases and catalogue numbers under the archives tab.

Prem.

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by kevin J Carden
kevin J Carden posted:

Ah.. OK, I get it. Fully justified. Unbelievable in fact. Blissful 

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Richard Dane

The original Mobile Fidelity releases were pressed in Japan on JVC virgin vinyl.  They are very thin, and translucent if you hold them up to a strong light, but usually immaculately pressed, and very quiet.

Premmyboy posted:
christoph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:
christoph posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

Hi Chaps,

Not sure that is correct. The first series started late 70’s into the 80’s and was on light weight vinyl. Don’t think Pretenders was in that series though. Afterwards the anadisc 200 gram series was released. Mofi then released the silver label series (budget version) alongside ultra analog range which is still going today. If you go to Mofi website you can check all the various releases and catalogue numbers under the archives tab.

Prem.

Sorry, my mistake. You are right, it was Jackson browne, the pretender, which i remembered

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by kevin J Carden

My name’s Kevin and I’m a Vinyholic..

When I bought my Turntable in April it was on the premise that it was primarily to play my existing 700 old records and I wouldn’t be investing in further new vinyl. Here’s the collection of new records so far!

to be fair, some of these are to replace a bunch of records that I know I had, but now don’t seem to have any longer or is replacing dodgy copies in my old collection, but a fair chunk is just new stuff.

So far, I don’t regret buying any of these with the exception of PF Division Bell. My first venture into post Roger Waters Floyd. I think I was right to avoid it.. but Maybe it will be a grower (?)

p.s. Just noticed Steely Dan Greatest Hits is in there. That’s an interloper - not a new 

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Ivo B

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message. Waiting to arrive. And another 16 records. 

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by naim_nymph

On the way, from Amazon uk:

2 x LP - Demon Records Ltd [ This compilation release 2018 ]

2 x LP - Demon Records /  2015 reissue  : )

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Kevin-W

UK first pressing, no less, bought for just 50p in the local charity shop. Really nice condition too.

UK first press. It's missing the inner sleeve/lyric sheet but the record is in really good condition. For 50p, you can't quibble.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

UK first press. It's missing the inner sleeve/lyric sheet but the record is in really good condition. For 50p, you can't quibble.

50p! You jammy bu**er, Kevin.  

1980 repress of 1979 compilation, representing the best of the John Foxx era (eg "Slow Motion", "Quiet Men", "Hiroshima Mon Amour", "ROckwrok", etc). Another 50p charity shop jobby.

UK first press. By no means their best album, but it completes the collection, and for 50p, I ain't complaining.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by wenger2015

A classic 

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Richard Dane
wenger2015 posted:

A classic 

Just ordered this one, along with Daylight again.

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Richard Dane
Ivo B posted:

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message. Waiting to arrive. And another 16 records. 

Reading this post I realise that there's not a great deal of poetry and pose that i learned back in my school days that i can still fully recite now.  However, I can still recite The Message in its entirety, so I guess I know where my priorities were back then...