How long until we see high end HDX?

Posted by: Merto on 27 September 2008

The consensus seems to be that the current HDX is at or around the level of a CDX2. When do you think we might see a 555 competitor? Is it even possible or will the technology mean that the voicing will inevitably move in a different direction?

Also, how likely is it that when (if) such a machine is released, we will be able to continue to connect it to existing power supplies such as XPS2 or 555PS?

I would not consider another CDP purchase now but am not ready to move to an HDX until it is at least on a par with my CDS3. I am considering adding a 555PS to my CDP but would be more convinced if I knew it would be compatible with a future HDX type player.

All supposition and guesswork I know but I would be interested in opinions?
Posted on: 30 September 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by pjl:
Merto,

I agree with your assessments. I believe that it's never sensible to invest in new technologies (or new applications of them) near the start of their market life. .....

Peter

I agree totally - I'm happy enough with my CDX2/555PS and don't feel any need to change it.

Curious to hear the HDX, but in no hurry to buy one as I haven't worked out what it would give me over my humble old CD player. Perhaps I'll be astounded when I hear it next week. Perhaps the SDX with solid state storage is what I'm waiting for, but not if it uses Windoze I'm afraid.

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 30 September 2008 by pcstockton
I cant see it running anything but something Windows based.

I sure as hell know that Mac wont be used.
I-HDX? not going to happen.
Posted on: 01 October 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
cant see it running anything but something Windows based.

Linn doesn't use Windoze. Nor does my Yamaha or Panasonic. I wouldn't want a Mac based solution either. I think it should be dedicated purpose written code. After all Naim can do it for the CDX2.
Posted on: 01 October 2008 by Claus-Thoegersen
It should have the Naim sound. I am sure Naim have considered writing all code, and it seems that the important parts are custome such as the ripping engine. But why not use the part of Windows that works instead of writing a lot of code?
Posted on: 01 October 2008 by JanÅ
quote:
Originally posted by Claus-thoeg:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Merto:
The consensus seems to be that the current HDX is at or around the level of a CDX2.

After having listened to an HDX for a week, and compared it to my cd s3, I still think that a bare HDX is somewhere around x2, and the HDX with spx2 is as good and even slitely better than my s3.My dealer have said that the HDX was displayed on a Swedish hifi show not so long ago, with the 555 su, and that in this configuration it is close to or maybe even better than the 555. So Naim has more or less done this already. The really interesting question is, with the marked improvements over the summer going from HDX is about the Cd 5 or 5X level, to the situation now, what more can be done to improve HDX second version and also what will hhappen in the firmware upgrades. People who own the Linn DS report that firmware upgrades to the players effect the music quality.

Claus

fyi
Heard HDX.
Without PSU it is better than CDS3/PS555.
HDX/PS555 is a LOT better!
Posted on: 01 October 2008 by Erik
Äntligen! I really second that!

/Erik
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by pylod
quote:
fyi
Heard HDX.

so it is a bargain...have you ordered one ?...
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by JanÅ
quote:
Originally posted by pylod:
quote:
fyi
Heard HDX.

so it is a bargain...have you ordered one ?...

Indeed a bargain!
I've asked for a demo in my home. Like to compare it with my Klimax DS Winker
Heard the Klimax and it was not possible to resist. Unbelievable good.
HD based players are the future.
Even mp3 are great on it, 44.1k/16b even better and don’t mention 96k/24 Eek

To give some perspective, a Sneaky DS (1.2k€) is on pair with Akurate CD/Unidisk 1.1, the Majik DS is better, Akurate DS better still and then you have a BIG jump up to Klimax DS performance.

HDplayers are the future in digital!!!

All of you sticking around with your CDplayers, sell them before they getting more or less worthless.
hi jan,,,

let us know how the hdx compares to the klimax ds...would be interessting

although you are aware , that many don´t agree on hdx betters a cds3/555ps..Winker
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by JanÅ
quote:
hi jan,,,

although you are aware , that many don´t agree on hdx betters a cds3/555ps..Winker

Likely due to old experience.

I can inform you that after each SW upgrade (4 during last 6 months or so) the Klimax gets a LOT better.

So please make sure you hear an updated HDX!
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Erik
quote:
hi jan,,,

I sold my CD555 as soon as I heard the HDX. The HD players is a new dawn and will make cd-players obsolete in the near future.

/Erik
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by glevethan
JanA

The Klimax is quite special - I am jealous you lucky soul (although my CDS3/555PS is keeping me happy for now Big Grin)

Gregg
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Don Atkinson
quote:
I sold my CD555 as soon as I heard the HDX.

Was that before, or after, you tried the cd555 with TWO 555PSs?

Is it possible to power an HDX with 2x555PSs?, if so, has anybody tried this yet?

Cheers

Don
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
he HD players is a new dawn and will make cd-players obsolete in the near future.

Aren't HD almost obsolete now - surely HD is at the end-of-life, I guess it'll probably be after Christmas that we see Solid State Storage take hold for domestic appliances. CDs will still be around for a while, but HD is a bit like DVD-A. Shame you sold your CD555.
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Erik
quote:
Originally posted by ROTF:
quote:
he HD players is a new dawn and will make cd-players obsolete in the near future.

Aren't HD almost obsolete now - surely HD is at the end-of-life, I guess it'll probably be after Christmas that we see Solid State Storage take hold for domestic appliances. CDs will still be around for a while, but HD is a bit like DVD-A. Shame you sold your CD555.

I might have expressed myself a little bit unclear, of course SS will get more common in the future even if they are a little bit expensive if You wants TBs of data stored. Maybe locally stored and streamed audio is a more versatile way of telling what all is about.

I did not try the 555 with 2 PS's as I think the cost is ridiculous for a dying format.

/Erik
quote:
I can inform you that after each SW upgrade (4 during last 6 months or so) the Klimax gets a LOT better.

i asked that before, but do it again.

could it be , that the hdx is a sportscar which can go more then 250 km/h, but some don`t want it to drive faster yet ?
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:

ROTF, worst case scenario is that you rip your collection to an external drive or if the medium of distribution changes then you use a flash drive/ssd card and upload to your external NAS or download files in a similar manner.

The nice thing about the HDX like the Linn DS is that improvements will come from software/firmware to be downloaded or disc ditributed.
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Merto
Silly question time again but what is a NAS? I realise it is storage but what does N.A.S. stand for?
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by winkyincanada
quote:
Originally posted by Merto:
Silly question time again but what is a NAS? I realise it is storage but what does N.A.S. stand for?

Network Attached Storage - Basically a drive that is smart enough to usable on a network without a separate computer controlling it.

(Or is it Network Addressable Storage? Either way, same thing. No such thing a silly question - just a silly answer - more than likely mine)
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by JanÅ
quote:
Originally posted by Frank F:
Hi everyone,

HD players will progress month by month and software and storage will change in a similar manner.

Why the hell don't Naim do what they are good at and produce a World beating DAC at a reasonable price with a decent power supply. They have the technology without relying on oem software writers and there are a lot of us out here waiting for it!!

FF

Dont think that going to happen...
As a standalone DAC don't have the performance potential as a DS or HDX system!!
A DAC is more or less just as a CDplayer but with more issues to adress that can go wrong.

I have some hard times understanding that many people dont understand the fundamental difference (and the potential performance advantage) between old CDplayer and the DS/HDX concept.
Fyi, a separate DAC have some disadvantages over a CDplayer. If it would be better to have a separate DAC, both Naim/Linn likely would have that already. CD555 and CD12 have not…

Be able to control/manage the complete procedure from the raw data to the analogue music signal - THAT is the advantage with DS/HDX!!
You can rip the CD getting the optimum data, eliminate the need for error checking in real time, feed INFORMATION (not just data) into the internal DAC while controlling the pace, decreasing the need for heavy duty sync circuits and buffers. All this decreasing the disturbances letting the DAC do a better job.
quote:
quote:

Agree in some way.
Yes, HDDs and CDdrives going to be obsolete and that is why I consider Linn DS being a smarter architecture (also less items that can disturb the DAC and less to maintain) - BUT BUT
HDX with its inbuilt ripping/storing system mean that Naim can tweak it to get best performance out of it!
I have experimented with the DS and different ripping SW, different CDdrives reading from, different NAS - DO HAVE AN AFFECT on the sonic result.
Also (and agree all this is WEIRD), even switch and cat5 cables affect the sonic result.
Don’t know why, but is does.

btw, also the rack where you have the NAS/switch affect the sound&musicality.

To my ears, ripping and NAS have the biggest impact so I can understand Naim have these inbuilt!!!!!
But the optimum would have been a separate Naim ripping/storing device, to decrease the electromagnetic disturbances and vibration inside HDX.
quote:
quote:

i asked that before, but do it again.

could it be , that the hdx is a sportscar which can go more then 250 km/h, but some don`t want it to drive faster yet ?

Yes you asked before but I still dont get it?

HDX is better than CDS3/PS555 at half the cost.
As with Linn, Naim likely going to have a series of HDX clones that kill the old CDplayer.
And as with Linn CDplayers, second hand value on Naim CDplayers going to drop a lot. And continue dropping while SW upgrades on the HDX clones increase their performance.

Btw I like sportcars and the fun factor is not linked AT ALL to the top speed. Big Grin
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by pylod
quote:

i ment , that many cars could go faster , but they don´t because they have an internal limitation set by the company.

if the hdx and the klimax is improving with every update, what could be possible right now. how many updates are ready ? and how good could the hdx really sound?

you are the first one , who writes that. hdx bare better than cds3 / 555 ps
quote:
quote:

i ment , that many cars could go faster , but they don´t because they have an internal limitation set by the company.

if the hdx and the klimax is improving with every update, what could be possible right now. how many updates are ready ? and how good could the hdx really sound?

you are the first one , who writes that. hdx bare better than cds3 / 555 ps

thanks!
Get it now.
I dont know how good they can be but it's enough to understand this is the future and DCplayers are dead.
I hope (and think) that this is just the beginning as Naim/Linn gradually learn over time what is important.

What I consider remarkable is how BLOODY good they are already!
Give it a few years more R/D Big Grin
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by pylod
quote:
ut it's enough to understand this is the future and DCplayers are dead

like the cd was the death of vinyl..and it wasn´t Razz