How long until we see high end HDX?

Posted by: Merto on 27 September 2008

The consensus seems to be that the current HDX is at or around the level of a CDX2. When do you think we might see a 555 competitor? Is it even possible or will the technology mean that the voicing will inevitably move in a different direction?

Also, how likely is it that when (if) such a machine is released, we will be able to continue to connect it to existing power supplies such as XPS2 or 555PS?

I would not consider another CDP purchase now but am not ready to move to an HDX until it is at least on a par with my CDS3. I am considering adding a 555PS to my CDP but would be more convinced if I knew it would be compatible with a future HDX type player.

All supposition and guesswork I know but I would be interested in opinions?
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by Erik
quote:
Originally posted by pylod:
quote:
I can inform you that after each SW upgrade (4 during last 6 months or so) the Klimax gets a LOT better.

So please make sure you hear an updated HDX!

i asked that before, but do it again.

could it be , that the hdx is a sportscar which can go more then 250 km/h, but some don`t want it to drive faster yet ?

I see what You mean, but I hope and think that's not a decision made and instead an unawareness of the capabilities in the new technology.

/Erik
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by Merto
quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

I see what You mean, but I hope and think that's not a decision made and instead an unawareness of the capabilities in the new technology.

/Erik

I imagine a bit of both. I would imagine there are already fully developed upgrades but it is fairly standard commercial practice to not to show your cards too soon! It may be prudent to keep something in reserve, to be ready to respond to the competition.

Thanks for the explanation Winky......
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by pylod
...it is more the question will a hds come or will this be solved over software updates...if jan means the bare HDX sounds like a cds3/555...so where will the HDS be ?...around the cd777 ?

no other black box leads to so many different meanings as the HDX...
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
second hand value on Naim CD players going to drop a lot

I'll be on the look out for a CD555 then - I'd love one of those and I have 1500 CDs to play on it Smile

Hope to hear the HDX next week - I hope it is as good as you all say it is Smile

Then when Solid Stage Storage version comes out I may just go for it.

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by JanÅ
quote:
if jan means the bare HDX sounds like a cds3/555...so where will the HDS be ?...around the cd777 ?

wrong, a bare HDX is BETTER then CDS3/PS55. Winker
quote:
Originally posted by Merto:
I would imagine there are already fully developed upgrades but it is fairly standard commercial practice to not to show your cards too soon! It may be prudent to keep something in reserve, to be ready to respond to the competition.

"fairly standard commercial practice"???
Give me a few examples of companies applying that practice!
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by Merto
quote:
Originally posted by JanÅ:

Philips, Sony, Glaxosmithkline, Toyota, Honda, Samsung, Microsoft.......

Now give me a few examples of companies that release their latest product the moment they are developed and do not try to maintain products in the pipeline?
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by Erik
quote:
quote:

Now give me a few examples of companies that release their latest product the moment they are developed and do not try to maintain products in the pipeline?

Apple...........
quote:
quote:
quote:

Apple...........

Funny, I was going to put Apple on my list. You really think they dont have the next Ipod Nano ready?
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Apple...........

iTouché.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
quote:
Apple...........

iTouché.

Perhaps you can clarify iAthos, are software updates for the HDX released and will they continue to be released the moment they are technically complete, without any delay for commercial considerations?
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by pylod
quote:
wrong, a bare HDX is BETTER then CDS3/PS55.

if it is that way i will buy one straight away...adam could you confirm jan´ experience ?

sadly, as i already mentioned , we here in norway will not be able to listen to one so far.

p
quote:
I doubt if Adam would confirm this

was just a jocke...Razz

p
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by kuma
I didn't realise he was a *jock*. Smile
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by Erik
quote:
quote:
wrong, a bare HDX is BETTER then CDS3/PS55.

if it is that way i will buy one straight away...adam could you confirm jan´ experience ?

sadly, as i already mentioned , we here in norway will not be able to listen to one so far.

p

Come and visit Sweden Smile
quote:
Come and visit Sweden

hi erik...where in sweden do you live ?...do you own a hdx ?

p
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by QTT:

I doubt if Adam would confirm this.

Oddly - I am due a visit to Naim Central soon. It will be nice to listen to the latest "stuff" and I will be, unsuccessfully, trying to blagg (spell check no help) some powerlines ... and stuff.
waaah... can´t find the "feel ashamed smiley" . that one ,with the red cheeks...

kindly regards

the jock Winker
quote:

Not sure I agree that "maintain products in the pipeline" is the direct opposite to what you wrote earlier.
quote:
I would imagine there are already fully developed upgrades but it is fairly standard commercial practice to not to show your cards too soon! It may be prudent to keep something in reserve, to be ready to respond to the competition.

But the SW development companies I worked in released products/upgrade when we considered them being good enough, NOT keeping anything nice to upcoming releases.
If the feature was working = release it!

To NOT release something that is good is to decrease the competiveness isn't it?
That strategy is just stupid! Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by QTT:I think it would be extremely surprising if it is better than a CDS3/P555 combo.

That exactly was my feeling to!
But trust your ears. Winker
quote:
quote:
Come and visit Sweden

hi erik...where in sweden do you live ?...do you own a hdx ?

p

If you live in Norway I suggest a trip to Gothenburg where you not only have a combined Linn/Naim dealer, you also have a separate Naim dealer AND the Swedish Naim distributor!
I happen to know them personally as I live in a small town not so far away from Gothenburg.

Let me know using PM if you are interested. I can help you arrange a demo and you are MOST welcome to visit my house and listen to the Klimax DS in a more relaxed environment.
Smile
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by pylod
hi jan,

thank you for the ofer, that is really kind of you. i will think about that it is just 4 hours by train.

did the dealer had the cds3 / 555 as well ?

have you decided on the klimax ds after listen to the hdx ?...( home demo ) ...how did those 2 compare ?...i find that really interesting

hilsen p
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by Merto
quote:
Not sure I agree that "maintain products in the pipeline" is the direct opposite to what you wrote earlier.

You are correct. I did not take the time to choose the appropriate terminology. Use "have fully developed products awaiting release at a more commercialy advantagous time".

quote:
But the SW development companies I worked in released products/upgrade when we considered them being good enough, NOT keeping anything nice to upcoming releases.
If the feature was working = release it!

To NOT release something that is good is to decrease the competiveness isn't it?
That strategy is just stupid! Roll Eyes

If you want to maintain a competitive edge, you need a market leading product but at the same time you may want to preserve your own product heirarchy. If you are already 3 steps ahead of the nearest competition, why make it 4 and risk your competitor being able to respond with a single, better product against your product in various iterations? Why reveal to the competition the direction of your new developments until you need to? New products are "revealed" at key trade shows or specific times of year (xmas for example) for that reason. In the context of this discussion, if an enhancement were developed which resulted in the hdx trouncing the sonic performance of the 555, do you think it would be more prudent to release it as a hdx upgrade it or apply it to the next generation of hds (or whatever is in the "pipeline")?

I do not know which software companies you worked with or where they sat in their market place. Perhaps they had to develop and release just to stay in the game, I dont know? However, that does not mean that it is not fairly common practice in many industries to withhold developed products for commercial considerations. I stand by what I said.
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by JanÅ
quote:
have you decided on the klimax ds after listen to the hdx ?...( home demo ) ...how did those 2 compare ?...i find that really interesting

hilsen p

No, it was a lot of info on Naimnet but the products were not released.
So when I heard Klimax DS and realized how good it was I wasn't able to wait comparing with Naim. Owned it more than 6 months by now and love it.

yes a few weeks ago they had that demo system and I'm convinced they arrange whatewer demo you require!
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
... "have fully developed products awaiting release at a more commercially advantageous time".

.... you need a market leading product but at the same time you may want to preserve your own product hierarchy.

Your personal marketing strategy is not that of Naim.