World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 20 May 2018

As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France have just gotten worse and become an embarassment.

Hopefully though Gareth Southgates youthful looking squad can change all that and play without the fear that seemed to infect our squads in recent tournaments.  Whatever we should be in store for some great football, I wonder who will be the surprise team, who will be the youngster that excites us all and who will win the Golden Boot this time round?

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by MDS

Every time I hear Kenny speak I think of Eric Morecambe's impersonation of him. 

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by thebigfredc

KD was one of those people who earns respect by actions. I like people who say little but when they do speak are worth listening too. A terrific footballer and a good ambassador for Liverpool since his retirement.

My predictions for the winner, runner up, 3rd and 4th:

France

Engerland

Brasil

Portugal

Feel free to join in.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by wenger2015
thebigfredc posted:

My predictions for the winner, runner up, 3rd and 4th:

France

Engerland

Brasil

Portugal

Feel free to join in.

Who’s Engerland? 

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Haim Ronen

It is time for a non South American or Western European team to win the world cup, it was never achieved before. The closest chance was in 2002 when South Korea and Turkey lost in the semis by the same meager score (0:1) to Germany and Brazil.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I've gone mental: I will support Germany.

Haim Ronen posted:

It is time for a non South American or Western European team to win the world cup, it was never achieved before. The closest chance was in 2002 when South Korea and Turkey lost in the semis by the same meager score (0:1) to Germany and Brazil.

I agree, it would be great for the world game.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by wenger2015

Going on Russia’s record in athletics, it’s already been arranged..... they will be the winners...

apparently the left back can do 100mts in world record time, although he’s the slowest member of the team.......

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by pete T15
thebigfredc posted:

KD was one of those people who earns respect by actions. I like people who say little but when they do speak are worth listening too. A terrific footballer and a good ambassador for Liverpool since his retirement.

Arise Sir Kenny ! .... And could he play !!

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by pete T15

I've a sneaky Messi feeling , if its ever going to be his time it's now . Otherwise i really like how England look but can't see past Germany , France , Brazil or Spain otherwise . 

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by ynwa250505
wenger2015 posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Slightly off topic I note Kenny Dalglish has been knighted.

Very well deserved for his post-Hillsborough efforts, and also his other charitable work. Fine footballer too.

I think, however, that the citation should read for services to the Glaswegian accent. I heard a brief interview with him this am and I'm assuming he was chuffed to bits but I honestly could not tell you for sure!

Incidentally I heard 5Live interview him a while ago-and for the first time realised that one of the presenters is actually his daughter (Kelly Cates). it was a very personal and emotional interview much of which focussed on the Hillsborough funerals etc. Quite moving, and the toll it took in him and his family was evident.

Bruce

I have just been listening to a brief interview with KD, I think he was very pleased with the honour....?? Subtitles required next time...

As I’m sure most Liverpool fans would say a ‘Legend ‘ ..

I first saw him play in the early 70s in a Blackpool-Celtic pre-season friendly - Blackpool were 3-0 up at HT and Celtic brought on an 18 year old kid who scored a hat trick to earn a 3-3 draw ...

At Liverpool, I absolutely loved the taciturn brevity of his infrequent post-match interviews. His treatment of the press (he has since mellowed) was a pleasure to watch.

As a former Liverpool shareholder, (until Gillette & Hicks turned up), I managed to meet him a couple of times at Club events (agm etc) and was always overwhelmed by his charm and humility, as well as his accent!

Hillsborough almost destroyed him and his efforts on behalf of the families has always been nothing less than heroic.

Legend he certainly is - as a player, manager, person ...

YNWA

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

I can't believe it has come round so quick matches start this week. Let's hope the very subdued media frenzy around the England team and their chances leave them free from the burden of previous teams. Anyway cannot wait solid football for the next few weeks.

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by MDS

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

Brilliant 

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Wugged Woy

[IMG]

[IMG]

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

Vuvuzelas are out and Lozhkas are in.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by wenger2015
TOBYJUG posted:

Vuvuzelas are out and Lozhkas are in.

Spoons ???? Got to be the  worst sound ever...

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

Russia got off to a great start not the greatest opponents in Saudi Arabia but 5-0 is a great result.  Alexander Golovin got a couple of assists and scored a fantastic free kick,  he played against Arsenal last season for Moscow and stood out then and is definetly one to watch.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by wenger2015

potentially the opening game can be a banana skin, so a very impressive start even if it was against poor opposition...... 

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by thebigfredc

I remember the experts making the same remarks when Portugal were the hosts in the 2004 Euris and lost to an apparently poor side -  Greece.

Greece won the tournament.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

First match today at 1.00 pm looks a good one  - Egypt v Uruguay,  Mo Salah and Arsenal's Mohamed Elneny v Godin, Suarez (will he bite anyone) and Edison Cavani.  Uruguay are definitely one to watch not really a surprise package with the squad they have but they may do much better than many think.

Then at 4pm Morrocco v Iran before one of the World Cup 2018's big matches at 7.00 pm Portugal v Spain do not miss this one!

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by wenger2015
Bob the Builder posted:

First match today at 1.00 pm looks a good one  - Egypt v Uruguay,  Mo Salah and Arsenal's Mohamed Elneny v Godin, Suarez (will he bite anyone) and Edison Cavani.  Uruguay are definitely one to watch not really a surprise package with the squad they have but they may do much better than many think.

Then at 4pm Morrocco v Iran before one of the World Cup 2018's big matches at 7.00 pm Portugal v Spain do not miss this one!

Apparently FIFA will allow Suarez to take a lunch box on to the pitch as long as he promises to share the contents with anyone else that gets peckish during the game......

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by dave marshall

Tough luck on Egypt, I thought.

They seemed well organised in defence, and protected the ball well in possession ............ cruel way to lose the game. 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by ALANP
dave marshall posted:

Tough luck on Egypt, I thought.

They seemed well organised in defence, and protected the ball well in possession ............ cruel way to lose the game. 

Agreed Dave,I thought they didn't deserve to lose.However they should have given Sala a run out for the last 20 mins when they appeared to be in control.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by SamS
.......However they should have given Sala a run out for the last 20 mins when they appeared to be in control.

Agree, just having him on the pitch, even at 3/4 pace could have put Uruguay off-kilter. Hopefully it isn't a sign that his injury is in fact worse than they are letting on.