World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 20 May 2018

As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France have just gotten worse and become an embarassment.

Hopefully though Gareth Southgates youthful looking squad can change all that and play without the fear that seemed to infect our squads in recent tournaments.  Whatever we should be in store for some great football, I wonder who will be the surprise team, who will be the youngster that excites us all and who will win the Golden Boot this time round?

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by MDS

Only 25 mins played in Spain V Portugal game but, oh my,  this is what the World Cup is all about! 

Has De Gea been taking coaching lesson from Joe Hart?

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

Yes Ronaldo looks up for it! Great to see him like this.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I see quite some empty chairs in Portugal Vs Spain. Too much for a WC match.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by fatcat
MDS posted:

Just heard Liverpool have offered United £250 million for De Gea.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Christopher_M

Wondering if we've just had the Goal of The Tournament with Nacho's! #helluvastrike

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by dave marshall
Christopher_M posted:

Wondering if we've just had the Goal of The Tournament with Nacho's! #helluvastrike

Nope, Ronaldo's just taken that one.

What a fabulous game! Thought Spain edged it and was surprised that they took Costa off, who looked hungry and a constant threat.  Ronaldo continues to show was a footballing genius he is and Portugal will feel they earned their draw.  

The World Cup finally comes alive with a hugely entertaining match, and which turned into the Christiano Ronaldo show ............ what a player for the big events. 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Christopher_M
dave marshall posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Fair enough Dave, but get me with me hashtags. Not bad for an old un 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by ALANP

You just knew what was going to happen the moment they mentioned a possible 51st career hat-trick for Ronaldo and that in turn becoming the 51st hat-trick at the finals. 

Christopher_M posted:
dave marshall posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Fair enough Dave, but get me with me hashtags. Not bad for an old un 

This old un singularly failed to register the significance of the hashtag ............... I'm so last century. 

Great game, though.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by ayap1
fatcat posted:
MDS posted:

Kirius (Liverpool ‘s keeper) would have save that one!!

ayap1 posted:
fatcat posted:
MDS posted:

Kirius (Liverpool ‘s keeper) would have save that one!!

No he is still suffering from concussion after that Ramos tackle!

I wonder what Ronaldo could do if he got a bit more of the ball. 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

France just had a very lucky escape 2-1 against the Aussies who played extremely well and coped with the £300 million + rated French forward line very well.  An extremely dodgy VAR awarded penalty, the enigma that is Paul Pogba wasn't great again, well done the Aussies.

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

Yes, the socceroos defence gave grease man a good hiding, shame he was too slippery in the end.

TOBYJUG posted:

Yes, the socceroos defence gave grease man a good hiding, shame he was too slippery in the end.

Slippery because he won a penalty that wasn't.

So after Ronaldo's Roy of the Rovers turn on Friday night Messi again failed to shine in an Argentina shirt as they were held to a 1-1 draw by those incredible Icelandic super heroes! These first group stage matches can disappoint sometimes when most teams are more focussed on not losing than on winning however things will pick up as teams have to win to qualify for the next stages. 

Today we will get a first look at the World Champions Germany v Mexico and also the team with most to prove after the last world cup Brazil v Switzerland but first up is Costa Rica v Serbia at 1pm.

Nothing I have seen so far has made me change my mind about Germany retaining their title but then again we haven't seen Brazil yet who on paper should win this tournament without breaking into a sweat.

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by wenger2015

Congratulations Mexico, what a superb well deserved win

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by Fabio 1

La cucaracha

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by Kevin-W

Love it! The Germans completely underestimated Mexico and were ponderous - and they were punished for it. Chicharito, Lozano, the rest of the team, the manager, the raucous fans were all magnificent!

A great, classic WC upset, even better than Iceland holding off Argentina yesterday.

¡Viva México!

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

The World Cup has all been about upsets so far,  as it should be.  Fantastic night for the Mexicans great to see  Carlos Vela an ex gooner playing so well,  I saw him score in a league Cup match against Newcastle that must have been at least ten years ago. 

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by Stephen Tate

Brilliant game, really enjoyed it, the Mexicans thoroughly deserving their win!

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by MDS

First time I've seen Ozil play for Germany like he does for Arsenal.  Rare too to see Germany so bereft of ideas and penetration.

Very well done, Mexico