Best frontman in a British rock band

Posted by: Charles44 on 09 June 2018

Well, it has to be Chris Youlden, Savoy Brown late 60's very early 70's.

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Bert Schurink

Steven Wilson could also be suggested

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Clive B

I was going to say Roger Daltrey, but having read through the posts above, I’d have to agree that Freddie Mercury has it by a mile. Watch the Live Aid show and you’ll have to agree. 

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by joerand
Corry posted:

Alex Harvey was Scottish, which makes him British.

So Scots are Brits but Irish aren't? Confusing for us former colonials.

Has me wondering why cricket is Britain's national sport and Scotland's is golf.

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Corry
joerand posted:
Corry posted:

Has me wondering why cricket is Britain's national sport and Scotland's is golf.

Scotland officially became part of Britain in 1707. Ireland officially became part of Britain in 1801. From the beginning (and before) we weren't that keen on the idea, and kicked up a fuss from time to time. We eventually became a sovereign nation in 1922, albeit with a little residual unpleasantness (partition, Civil War, Northern Ireland troubles, etc. etc.)

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Suzy Wong
Corry posted:
joerand posted:
Corry posted:

Scotland officially became part of Britain in 1707. Ireland officially became part of Britain in 1801. From the beginning (and before) we weren't that keen on the idea, and kicked up a fuss from time to time. We eventually became a sovereign nation in 1922, albeit with a little residual unpleasantness (partition, Civil War, Northern Ireland troubles, etc. etc.)

So I presume that my father have been British at birth in 1916, Irish after independence, and British when he was naturalised after World War 2 (he’d served in the RAF)?

And if I read the website of the Irish Consulate correctly I am also an Irish citizen even though I was born in Manchester. 

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Corry
Suzy Wong posted:
Corry posted:
joerand posted:
Corry posted:

So I presume that my father have been British at birth in 1916, Irish after independence, and British when he was naturalised after World War 2 (he’d served in the RAF)?

And if I read the website of the Irish Consulate correctly I am also an Irish citizen even though I was born in Manchester.

I don't know about the post-WW2 part, but the rest is correct. Regarding citizenship, anyone with at least one grandparent who is/was an Irish-born Irish citizen is automatically eligible for citizenship. In my case – Irish-born Irish citizen living in the U.S. and married to a U.S. woman – both of my U.S.-born children are eligible for citizenship, as will any children they might have.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Hmack
joerand posted:
Corry posted:

I suspect you are joking, but for anyone who does not know, it's quite simple:

Anyone born in the Republic of Ireland is 'Irish', NOT 'British'

Anyone born in the North of Ireland is BOTH 'Northern Irish' AND 'British'

Anyone born in Wales is BOTH 'Welsh AND British'

Anyone born in England is BOTH 'English' AND 'British'

Anyone born in Scotland is BOTH 'Scottish' (not Scotch) AND 'British'

although with the way BREXIT negotiations are going, Scotland may choose not to remain in Britain for very much longer.   

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf. Golf is just a pleasant pastime. It's just that we're not very good at football any more, so you won't see us at the World Cup.  

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Hmack

Just to add a little complexity to my explanation above, there is one thing that might appear strange to anyone from the outside.

There is a difference between the National labels of 'Great Britain' (GB) and 'The United Kingdom' (UK) that are often used interchangeably.  

The 'United Kingdom' (UK) comprises: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

'Great Britain' comprises: England, Scotland and Wales. It does not include Northern Ireland.

This is why, when we compete as a Nation in the Olympics and a few other events, our team is referred to as 'Great Britain and Northern Ireland', and not just 'GB'.

I'm beginning to see how some confusion may slip in. 

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by French Rooster

jimmy page and mark knoppler for me.  But is Jimmy Page considered as a frontman ?

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Romi

There are quite a few quality British Rock band frontmen.  For longevity I think Mick Jagger pips it, he still has a voice, still has that charisma on stage and still has that figure of a model!  For actual voice charisma it was Plant (perfect for Rock) in his younger days.  Best screamer Ian Gillan in Child in Time, though now he can not do it so well.  As to all rounder Rock frontman, with an instant identifiable voice all around the world, who has seen it and done that and most probably be the first to say he should of been dead by now, one and only Ozzy Osbourne.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by overprint

Easy - Lemmy. Man just oozed charisma

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by joerand
Hmack posted:

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf.

I got golf via a quick google. Frankly I suspected it would be curling.

Hmack posted:

I'm beginning to see how some confusion may slip in. 

Glad you could appreciate my confusion and thanks for the explanation.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

Without wanting to turn this into another Brexit thread the British Isles, the United Kingdom or whatever you want to call it may look quite different in a couple of years time.  Our household is Irish/English/German/Barbadian all of who are or have been British at some point apart from the Germans obviously and therefore so is the greatest British frontman of all time although not really rock I suppose.

Robert Nesta Marley

a Jamaican born a British subject and with a British father not really a rock frontman but you get my point about the British Tag.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

I always thought bob marley was German 

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Pedantry alert.... The UK or more fully The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the  political grouping of  the countries of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England into a single nation state. The British Isles refers to the geographical land masses, rather than any nation state, off to the west of continental Europe comprising of Great Britain, the island of Ireland and the smaller islands like the Isle of Man etc. Great Britain is derived in name from the greatest sized island of the British Isles, and politically comprises of the countries of Wales, Scotland and England.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by joerand
TOBYJUG posted:

I assumed he was Rastafarian

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by TOBYJUG
joerand posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

I assumed he was Rastafarian

Ah I see know, it was his Rastafarian enunciation of Jammin.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Hmack

Joerand posted:

Hmack posted:

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf.

I got golf via a quick google. Frankly I suspected it would be curling.

Unfortunately, 'global warming' has undermined our prowess at our 2nd national sport. Our once natural curling rinks don't freeze over in the winter any more.   

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by CP62

Freddie Mercury was the best frontman of this century for me    Best Rock albums ever.

Queen

Queen II

Sheer Heart Attack

A Night at the Opera

A Day at the Races

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by audio1946

only seen queen  once at live aid . top of uk  .   usa     springsteen by a mile

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by The Strat (Fender)
blythe posted:

Paul Rogers would be in my top 10.

Greatest singer that walked the planet!

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Hmack posted:
joerand posted:
Corry posted:

I suspect you are joking, but for anyone who does not know, it's quite simple:

Anyone born in the Republic of Ireland is 'Irish', NOT 'British'

Anyone born in the North of Ireland is BOTH 'Northern Irish' AND 'British'

Anyone born in Wales is BOTH 'Welsh AND British'

Anyone born in England is BOTH 'English' AND 'British'

Anyone born in Scotland is BOTH 'Scottish' (not Scotch) AND 'British'

although with the way BREXIT negotiations are going, Scotland may choose not to remain in Britain for very much longer.   

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf. Golf is just a pleasant pastime. It's just that we're not very good at football any more, so you won't see us at the World Cup.  

People could be forgven for thinking Scotland’s national game is tossing...

(the caber)

As for nationality, that relevant to nationals of all except the Republic of Ireland in the above is British - and not United Kingdom as a lot of airlines now offer instead of British in the drop down list to select when booking an international flight. (Not that nationality is conferred automatically by place of birth.)

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by stuart.ashen

Jon Anderson anyone? No, me neither... Still think he is Mr Yes though.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Bob the Builder
TOBYJUG posted:

I'm trying to fathom if this is an attempt at humour but anyway no 100% Jamaican he was though recieving treatment in Germany for cancer before he died.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Moog

When I saw Prodigy in 96 just after the release of Firestarter, I was expecting Keith to be at the centrestage but he was overshadowed by Maxim who ran the show whilst Liam Howlett did his stuff with keyboards.  So in terms of stage presence he certainly stood out.  At the same show they played a new track which sounded to me like  'it's my pizza' wasn't until the album was released that I realised that it was the embarrassingly named 'Smack my bitch up'.  It would of been much better as 'It's my pizza'

Best frontperson Siouxsie Sioux - see any track from Koln Germany 1981 (with the brilliant John McGeogh on guitar)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPQicPJkok