What's your favourite perfume scents?

Posted by: kuma on 12 June 2018

I've been using their Impériale for the longest time but I finally tried their *famous* Jicky. This is not at all I was expected for the oldest continuously manufactured abstract perfume in the world. LIke Imperial It is  a fresh and almost contemporary not at all those heavy oriental musky thing (like Shalimar ) I was expecting from this house. I feel that it is more complex than a run of the mill designer scents.  I certainly smell Lavendar/geranium but there's a lot more to it. I usually do not care for lavender but the citrus and bergamot override some of those girly flowery scents.  Add to that cinnamon and vanilla and sandalwood/vetiver give it a nice solid twist. I reckon this is reformulated and probably watered down from the original but I am liking this quite a lot.  Extract version comes in the iconic flacon but mine is just a bee bottle spray.

Intro: 1889
Nose: Aimé Guerlain
Notes: bergamot, neroli, verbena, lemon, orange, rosemary, geranium, lavender, mint, absinthe, tuberose, jasmine, rose, cinnamon, sandalwood, cedarwood, patchouli, vetiver, civet, orris, tonka bean, vanilla

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Kevin-W

I've always loved this as a men's fragrance:

Guerlain reformulated it slightly about 15 years ago, and it has perhaps lost a little of its citrusy, smoky punch, it's still spot on.

There's quite a nice story about how I came by this scent. Back in the 1990s I was interviewing Marianne Faithfull for some magazine/paper or other. Despite both of us chainsmoking, she smelled rather divine.

After the interview was finished, I asked her what it was.

"Darling," she said in that husky, fag-ravaged voice of hers. "It's by Jean Paul Guerlain. It's a men's fragrance called 'Red Jacket' and I've been using it since the 1960s." She pulled a bottle out of her bag and sprayed my wrists with it.

"Catching, isn't it?" she said. 

She was right, as I've been using it ever since.

Richard Dane posted:

Linx borrowed shamelessly from Hai Karate. Anyone own up to having had Hai Karate?

That ad's a classic Richard. Made by the British arm of Doyle Dane Bernbach (DDB), it's typical of UK advertising of the period in that it eschewed the hard sell for something more OTT and ridiculous; an approach that was proven to chime with a British audience. This approach is common nowadays, but in the late 60s and early 70s, only the UK was doing it in TV.

Here's an even dafter one from 1978, voiced by the then-ubiquitous Bill Mitchell:

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by pete T15

My favourite by a mile .

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by GraemeH

Lifebuoy 

G

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Another one for Terre D' Hermes here. But the non plus ultra was Yves Saint Laurent's Kouros after a shave with Perricone's shave cream. My personal welfare!

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Stevee_S

I've used Givenchy Gentleman for years, I like it and it seems to suit me as I'm often asked what I'm wearing and considering they are not running away when asking that all seems fine. In the last ten years I've mixed things up a bit by occasionally using either of these from Hermes and Chanel.

Back in the day I didn't mind a scoosh of this from Ralph Lauren, "Polo", I must give it another go. Perhaps?

kuma posted:
tonym posted:

When I shaved, I was rather fond of the pong of Creed Green Irish Tweed, until I developed an allergy to the stuff. There's still half a bottle of it lurking somewhere in the bathroom cabinet.

Creed seems to have strong followers. Personally I never tried it on altho, I've seen them at the store display.

Interesting formula for sure including Ambergris in a macho black bottle.

From England to France.....they make some good products i believe. I still do have an Irish Tweed shave soap wood bowl and after shave. But it loses temper in minutes......

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Christopher_M

Pace Graeme, Wright's Coal Tar.

Christopher_M posted:

I raise you Carbolic.

G

GraemeH posted:
Christopher_M posted:

I raise you Carbolic.

G

You're hardcore and no mistake!

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by dave marshall

I'll see your Carbolic, and raise you a tincture of iodine ........... ouch!

dave marshall posted:

But...Do you brush your teeth with a burnt stick?

G

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by dave marshall
GraemeH posted:
dave marshall posted:

Do you brush your teeth with a burnt stick?

G

Nay lad, steel wool does a proper job. 

Gentlemen.....!

Gianluigi Mazzorana posted:

Gentlemen.....!

One and all!

G

Kevin-W posted:

"Darling," she said in that husky, fag-ravaged voice of hers.   ....

Love the 'Darling' bit. Not doubting you btw. Just so showbiz.

Chanel No 19, on a woman. They have to have dark hair though.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by kuma
Kevin-W posted:

I've always loved this as a men's fragrance:

Guerlain reformulated it slightly about 15 years ago, and it has perhaps lost a little of its citrusy, smoky punch, it's still spot on.

There's quite a nice story about how I came by this scent. Back in the 1990s I was interviewing Marianne Faithfull for some magazine/paper or other. Despite both of us chainsmoking, she smelled rather divine.

After the interview was finished, I asked her what it was.

"Darling," she said in that husky, fag-ravaged voice of hers. "It's by Jean Paul Guerlain. It's a men's fragrance called 'Red Jacket' and I've been using it since the 1960s." She pulled a bottle out of her bag and sprayed my wrists with it.

"Catching, isn't it?" she said. 

She was right, as I've been using it ever since.

A great story. Since the discovery of Jicky I have been exploring the rest of Guerlain. My mom loved Mitsuko. I wasn't too keen on those strong Oriental/incense laced Shalimar altho love the butterfly bottle with a blue stopper. My In-law's grand ma when she passed away I saw the very old bottle of it on her dresser.

You got me curious on Habit Rouge. Looking at its ingredients, I reckon it's pretty spicy but I bet interesting. 

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes
pete T15 posted:

My favourite by a mile .

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Simple but might be good. I might try this.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by TOBYJUG
kuma posted:
pete T15 posted:

My favourite by a mile .

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Simple but might be good. I might try this.

This one really depends on the your own natural oily scent and it helps if you have a Mediterranean diet. On me, I ponged like an old ladies handbag.

Yeah. that's the thing. Every scent reacts differently on each body chemistry.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://fimgs.net/images/secundar/o.42406.jpg

I eat a lot of spicy food, and find that subtle spicy scents suit me.

loving this one.  I'm not a fan of those scents that lets everyone else in the room know that I've just entered. I prefere ones that just lets me and those that come in close contact know that I'm clean and fresh.

Christopher_M posted:
Kevin-W posted:

"Darling," she said in that husky, fag-ravaged voice of hers.   ....

Love the 'Darling' bit. Not doubting you btw. Just so showbiz.

As I recall she said it as a kind of joke, rather than out of luvviness. She is a great lady with a very fine sense of humour and the absurd.

TOBYJUG posted:

I'm not a fan of those scents that lets everyone else in the room know that I've just entered. I prefere ones that just lets me and those that come in close contact know that I'm clean and fresh.

Me neither. I prefer a scent with smaller projection and stays close to my skin.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Ebor

Farina has a good claim to be the original EDC:

Farina 1709 Original Eau de Cologne - 250ml Tropfflakon

Works well irrespective of the wearer's gender (nearly 300 years before CK tried the same trick). Their list of famous clients from history is hilariously compendious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...tz#Notable_customers

Surely wearing the same fragrance as Mozart and Beethoven is worth something?

Mark