What's your favourite perfume scents?

Posted by: kuma on 12 June 2018

I've been using their Impériale for the longest time but I finally tried their *famous* Jicky. This is not at all I was expected for the oldest continuously manufactured abstract perfume in the world. LIke Imperial It is  a fresh and almost contemporary not at all those heavy oriental musky thing (like Shalimar ) I was expecting from this house. I feel that it is more complex than a run of the mill designer scents.  I certainly smell Lavendar/geranium but there's a lot more to it. I usually do not care for lavender but the citrus and bergamot override some of those girly flowery scents.  Add to that cinnamon and vanilla and sandalwood/vetiver give it a nice solid twist. I reckon this is reformulated and probably watered down from the original but I am liking this quite a lot.  Extract version comes in the iconic flacon but mine is just a bee bottle spray.

Intro: 1889
Nose: Aimé Guerlain
Notes: bergamot, neroli, verbena, lemon, orange, rosemary, geranium, lavender, mint, absinthe, tuberose, jasmine, rose, cinnamon, sandalwood, cedarwood, patchouli, vetiver, civet, orris, tonka bean, vanilla

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by kuma

Vanille Absolu

Year of Launch: 2008
Perfumer: Pierre Montale

Only absolute thing is there is no subtleties. Too in your face, as if someone knocked off a glass of sweet booze all over my lap. I don't even get cinnamon or spice. Just overpowering cheezy sugary vanilla.

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by kuma

Trying a new scent from Kilian. Definitely boozy ( rum ) but fresh bergamot & pepper opening then it dries down to something woody. Like burning leaves in autumn. Which is one of my favoruite smell of fall.  It's got a hint of sweet jasmine but not too sweet. Leather is listed as undertone, but I am not getting that.

Dark Lord Ex Tenebris Lux

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Year of Launch

Perfumer:Alberto Morillas
    House:By Kilian 
    Parent Company at launch:Estee Lauder Companies
Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Mulberry
kuma posted:

I have never heard of this brand. From the notes, I'd reckon it's pretty masculine.

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Hi Kuma,

I somehow managed to miss your post and appreciate the extra knowledge about my favorite scent. And yes, it is a heavy one, at least until it arrives on my skin  Once it is there, only  citrus and light tobacco notes remain noticeable. Pretty much the same thing with my previous one, Black Code from Armani. Mighty and heavy from the bottle, nice and fresh on me. Otherwise I would steer clear of these, as I am very much a Graham type of guy, not a Wheaton one, if you pardon the tonearm analogy.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Christopher_M

I caught a whiff of something here: https://www.theguardian.com/wo...ure-man-eating-tiger

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

I caught a whiff of something here: https://www.theguardian.com/wo...ure-man-eating-tiger

Yes, Chris. I read about that in my newspaper.  Can't be much fun for the villagers being tiger food but the use of perfume to catch the tiger seemed surreal.  

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by kuma

My another colder weather favourite: Guerlain's Neroli Outrenoir. Sweet Neroli and Orange but Smoked Tea gives it a nice tweist as well as Moss keeps it down. Opening is a refreshing Bergamot and Petitgrain but slowly turn into something richer. Excellent longevity and throw a large projection.

1. Top Notes

2. Heart Notes

3. Base notes

Year of Launch: 2016

Perfumer: Thierry Wasser
    House: Guerlain  
    Parent Company at launch: LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Posted on: 13 October 2018 by kuma
Mulberry posted:
kuma posted:

I have never heard of this brand. From the notes, I'd reckon it's pretty masculine.

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Hi Kuma,

I somehow managed to miss your post and appreciate the extra knowledge about my favorite scent. And yes, it is a heavy one, at least until it arrives on my skin  Once it is there, only  citrus and light tobacco notes remain noticeable. Pretty much the same thing with my previous one, Black Code from Armani. Mighty and heavy from the bottle, nice and fresh on me. Otherwise I would steer clear of these, as I am very much a Graham type of guy, not a Wheaton one, if you pardon the tonearm analogy.

From the ingredients, I'd think this is a pretty sharp fragrance.

For sure i'd trip on Lavender, Clary sage, Benzoin. Altho, Tobacco is interesting.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Massimo Bertola

At first I was uncertain I really was seeing such a thread on the Naim forum, then I realized how seriously most people take perfumes (at least as after shave), so here's my small contribution: I use this as after shave

As for scents I love on a woman, so far nothing beats her natural skin's scent, if it matches my hormones. Years ago, I used to get a similar effect from Fidji, on some women – not on everyone.

Unfortunately, either it's aging or a little anosmia, but lately most women seem to me to only smell of supermarket cheap bath foam.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Quad 33

First discovered this on a visit to Puglia in 2005. " This is a classic fragrance for men. A fresh cocktail of spicy and woody notes – bergamot, geranium, cedar, vetiver, ambergris....Theorema Uomo was launched in 2001. The nose behind this this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier. 

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by kuma
Massimo Bertola posted:

At first I was uncertain I really was seeing such a thread on the Naim forum, then I realized how seriously most people take perfumes (at least as after shave), so here's my small contribution: I use this as after shave

As for scents I love on a woman, so far nothing beats her natural skin's scent, if it matches my hormones. Years ago, I used to get a similar effect from Fidji, on some women – not on everyone.

Blast from the past. That's a classic and I used to use it before I switched to Chanel Allure Sport.

In 1966, Roudnitska struck gold again with the creation of the classic Eau Sauvage. Reading the note list, one could be forgiven for the assumption that it’s just another citrus-herb masculine. The secret to its continued success is Roudnitska’s pioneering use of the molecule hedione. Alone, it has a faint aroma of lemon and jasmine, but used in a fragrance, it produces a radiant effect which some describe as “lighting up” the composition. Despite being sixty years old, Eau Savage still stands as one of the most innovative fragrances of the twentieth century and has a cult-like following among perfume-lovers. 

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Year of Launch1966
    HouseChristian Dior 
    PerfumerEdmond Roudnitska 
    PackagingPierre Dinand 
    Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

Regarding skin scent, Dyptique's Fleur de Peaux is like that. Very organic and stays really close to the skin.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by kuma

A few yeas ago, but interesting BBC documentary about fragrance business and how they are marketed.

I think that the number of new launches are even more today than when this documentary was released.

For me fragrance can evoke a certain memory or feelings just like music. It's an mood altering device. It's amasing that a certain scent can  transport me back to the past.

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Massimo Bertola
kuma posted:
Massimo Bertola posted:

Blast from the past. That's a classic and I used to use it before I switched to Chanel Allure Sport.

In 1966, Roudnitska struck gold again with the creation of the classic Eau Sauvage. Reading the note list, one could be forgiven for the assumption that it’s just another citrus-herb masculine. The secret to its continued success is Roudnitska’s pioneering use of the molecule hedione. Alone, it has a faint aroma of lemon and jasmine, but used in a fragrance, it produces a radiant effect which some describe as “lighting up” the composition. Despite being sixty years old, Eau Savage still stands as one of the most innovative fragrances of the twentieth century and has a cult-like following among perfume-lovers. 

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Year of Launch1966
    HouseChristian Dior 
    PerfumerEdmond Roudnitska 
    PackagingPierre Dinand 
    Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

Regarding skin scent, Dyptique's Fleur de Peaux is like that. Very organic and stays really close to the skin.

Kuma,

your competence amazes me. As a light detour, you may wan to try reading the first few chapters of a novel by the late Robert Sheckley called The alchemic marriage of Alistair Crompton – or, in later editions – Crompton divided. But if you are not the least interested in anything vaguely connected with SciFi, let it alone.

Best regards

Massimo

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://fimgs.net/images/secundar/o.53648.jpg

Her Ladyship came back from a recent flight with this.  Subtle but very provocative.

I could happily take just the bottle out on a date.

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by kuma
TOBYJUG posted:

https://fimgs.net/images/secundar/o.53648.jpg

Her Ladyship came back from a recent flight with this.  Subtle but very provocative.

I could happily take just the bottle out on a date.

Pretty bottle!

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Intro: 2018
Nose: Sonia Constant
House: Narciso Rodriguez
Parent co: Shiseido

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by kuma

I don't much care for the theatrics of fragrance packaging, but this was appropriate for the Halloween. My newest addition Kilian's Dark Lord 'Ex Tenebris Lux' came in skull decorated box.