What's your favourite perfume scents?

Posted by: kuma on 12 June 2018

I've been using their Impériale for the longest time but I finally tried their *famous* Jicky. This is not at all I was expected for the oldest continuously manufactured abstract perfume in the world. LIke Imperial It is  a fresh and almost contemporary not at all those heavy oriental musky thing (like Shalimar ) I was expecting from this house. I feel that it is more complex than a run of the mill designer scents.  I certainly smell Lavendar/geranium but there's a lot more to it. I usually do not care for lavender but the citrus and bergamot override some of those girly flowery scents.  Add to that cinnamon and vanilla and sandalwood/vetiver give it a nice solid twist. I reckon this is reformulated and probably watered down from the original but I am liking this quite a lot.  Extract version comes in the iconic flacon but mine is just a bee bottle spray.

Intro: 1889
Nose: Aimé Guerlain
Notes: bergamot, neroli, verbena, lemon, orange, rosemary, geranium, lavender, mint, absinthe, tuberose, jasmine, rose, cinnamon, sandalwood, cedarwood, patchouli, vetiver, civet, orris, tonka bean, vanilla

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by kuma

Impressive list but hard to imagine Beethoven used it as he had a rather questionable personal hygiene habits.

Notes:
Head: Bergamot, Lemon
Heart: Galbanum, Jasmine, Violet
Base: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musk

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander
kuma posted:

Impressive list but hard to imagine Beethoven used it as he had a rather questionable personal hygiene habits.

Notes:
Head: Bergamot, Lemon
Heart: Galbanum, Jasmine, Violet
Base: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musk

What source do you use for the perfume descriptive notes? I am aware of fragrantic.com.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by kuma

From their site:

Farina1709.com

Looks to be very similar to 4711.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by DBS-Al

Eau De Tomcat Pour Homme.

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Ebor

The notes might be similar to 4711, but whereas I find Farina very pleasant, 4711 has a bit too much of a tang of the lavatory brush for my liking. Fragrance notes aren't the whole story!

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Karl

Issey Miyake, L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Karl

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Fabio 1

One more vote here for Gentlemen and another one for L'Eau D'issey Pour Homme.Currently Jimmy Choo's Man Ice.

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Alley Cat

It's not the same as it used to be when I first bought it, I think good sandalwood stocks have diminished and they now incorporate more synthetics, but this is my perennial favourite perfume on a woman.

Shame too that we can no longer get the parfum as pictured above, only eau de parfum/toilette.

Not keen on the new bottle either.

https://www.guerlain.com/uk/en...s-fragrances/samsara

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Huge
Minh Nguyen posted:

I like to blend my own using frankincense, myrrh, gardinia, sandalwood and lotus flower.

Vanilla, frankincense and myrrh for me.

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Huge
GraemeH posted:
Gianluigi Mazzorana posted:

Gentlemen.....!

One and all!

G

Now there's an assumption!

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by kuma
Alley Cat posted:

It's not the same as it used to be when I first bought it, I think good sandalwood stocks have diminished and they now incorporate more synthetics, but this is my perennial favourite perfume on a woman.

Shame too that we can no longer get the parfum as pictured above, only eau de parfum/toilette.

Not keen on the new bottle either.

I have a feeling there is a cost cutting going on at the house of Guerlain. I agree I think Samsara deserves its own Flacon!

I have never tried Samsara. i assume it would be too spicy. The reasons today's fragrance does not last might be because of more use of synthetic material?

last year I've tried Jean Paul's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. This is one of  L'ART ET LA MATIÈRE collection. I normally do not like vanilla or sweet scents, so I was set to hate it but alas, after a few weeks of try-on, ended up picking up a bottle.  I love the boozy rum. Certainly not for summer but it's great in chilly fall. This one lasts all day and night. One of the few with an extraordinary longevity.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Intro: 2007
Perfumer: Jean Paul Guerlain

Fabio 1 posted:

One more vote here for Gentlemen and another one for L'Eau D'issey Pour Homme.Currently Jimmy Choo's Man Ice.

Looks like it's nice for summer.

Intro: 2017

Perfumer: Michel Almairac

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes
Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

I don’t get the idea of a seasonality to perfume use, except where someone’s preference is to smell like flowers, choosing flowers that are in season.

To me, a perfume is chosen to suit the person, to enhance something of them, so I see nothing seasonal to that. However I can see a logic to varying by anticipated company, so, for example, when with a lover (or hoping to find/attract one) a person might want a different scent from when at work.

Karl posted:

Issey Miyake, L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

The bottle reminds me of Prescriptive's Calyx from the 90s.  I used to admire their packaging design.

Innocent Bystander posted:

I don’t get the idea of a seasonality to perfume use, except where someone’s preference is to smell like flowers, choosing flowers that are in season.

To me, a perfume is chosen to suit the person, to enhance something of them, so I see nothing seasonal to that. However I can see a logic to varying by anticipated company, so, for example, when with a lover (or hoping to find/attract one) a person might want a different scent from when at work.

Well, for me, I have different scents for different seasons also depends on my moods. Some are just too heavy for summer. There are some *generic* all season scents but most interesting ones are usually particular to the seasons or humidity. I do not care for loud and strong sillage.  So I love the whiff of something pleases me all day but not necessarily want to announce to the public what I am wearing.

One of my favourite spring scent: I enjoy this in spring more than in winter.

Celestial Jasmine

House: EB Florals
Intro:
Perfumer: Ilias Ermenidis

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes
Posted on: 20 June 2018 by Ghettoyout

I'm also an Acqua Di Parma man but go for the Colonia Intensa variant. Much better in my opinion.

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Fabio 1
kuma posted:

Fabio 1 posted:

Looks like it's nice for summer.

Intro: 2017

Perfumer: Michel Almairac

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

Kuma,it is.Thanks for the notes.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Kevin Richardson

Shalimar.

I once had three girlfriends in a row that wore that same perfume. I didn't realize what was going on until I found a bottle of it at a store and got a sample. It is amazing how a scent can impact your decisions.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by kuma
kuma posted:

Never got to try any of Hermès line. Interesting to see Pelargonium in their middle notes. Nice bottle design.

Top: Orange  Grapefruit
Middle:Pepper  Pelargonium
Base: Patchouli Cedar Vetiver Benzoin

I've got a few samples on this. Whoa! this is a very *manly* fragrance. From the top, I am not getting much orange or grapefruit. It is citrusy but overpowering pelagonium ( which I might add not my fave ), This turned out to be a very familiar men's scent.

Here's my latest:

Chanel Bleu Extrait:
Intro: 2018
nose: Olivier Polge/Jacques Polge

An aromatic freshness opens, lingering on the warm, addictive fullness of Cedar and Sandalwood from New Caledonia that sweeps throughout the intense, woody fragrance.

Contrasting to Hermes above, this is a much sweeter notes and woodier. Not sure what's the blend but I definitely can smell the vanilla in there too. They released Coco Intense with *vanilla* flavour and much celebrated Gabrielle earlier this year  but neither made much impressions on me. But this new Bleu extrait is richer nut not heavy. Vanilla lingers close to the skin for a quite some time which unusual for a *modern* Chanel. Complex as No.5 but it does not have a strong animalistic sharp scent I struggle with. 

Opens with a wonderful fresh citrus mot overtly manly, but plenty masculine. Nothing is overpowering and very sophisticated and somewhat understated.  This is a nice execution with vanilla for Chanel for once.

Will compare this to their previous release Eau de Parfum.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Mulberry

As none of them have been mentioned so far, my wife and I both like Tomo by Annayake. Perhaps unsurprisingly, she uses the Her Tomo and yes, we like each other as well .

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by kuma

I have never heard of this brand. From the notes, I'd reckon it's pretty masculine.

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes
Posted on: 27 June 2018 by tonym

I scents you're a fan of perfumy pongs Kuma.

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by Romi

Such a lovely fresh original scent....

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/pics/400x400/tabasco-sauce-habanero-60ml.jpg

After the zing it initially gives, it turns out nice and spicy with a fruity bottom note

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by Gazza

Try adding it to a bottle of brown sauce or ketchup.......certainly livens them up.