Music you can't stand and hearing it puts you in a bad mood :(

Posted by: Tabby cat on 20 August 2018

One Genre which always doe's it for me is Skat Jazz - God I lothe it with a passion.Sometimes on Radio 3 on Saturday at 5 pm they have the Jazz programme.I enjoy the show but the moment they play some Skat I turn it off instantly.A couple of weeks ago I was listening to a old Garage House Mix Cassette tape and was enjoying it until some Skat was mixed over the track.I just ejected the tape and threw it in the bin.....argh Skat I hate it.If I went to Hell that would be my definition having to listen to Skat for an eternity.

Always enjoy normal Jazz though - although there is a huge amount that I haven't yet.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Yes, indeed - there is a range of music I love, and would never want to be without, just as there is more music I don’t loke and never want to hear.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Bob the Builder
Innocent Bystander posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
dave marshall posted:

Prog Rock, with it's endless "noodling" ................... tin hat on, runs for cover! 

Yes I'll second that Prog Rock is a particularly annoying brand of music all that dressing up like extras from The Hobbit is really, really annoying.

So ok listening to records as long as you don’t look at the sleeve pics?

No the music is really annoying too it's just that when it is played by someone dressed as Gandalf, Bilbo or even in a dress with a foxes head on it takes on a whole other level of annoyingness.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Bob the Builder
TallGuy posted:
Peder posted:

The type of Jazz...where all the musicians seem to play their own song,stuck in the same song as the others...I Hate It.!!

There's not even a common melody loop to follow.
Completely impossible to listen to ????.

/Peder ????

Ah yes, free form jazz. 20 minutes waiting for the tune to start.......

I love Jazz but the type you are talking about is just nonsense.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Bob the Builder posted:
Innocent Bystander posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
dave marshall posted:

Prog Rock, with it's endless "noodling" ................... tin hat on, runs for cover! 

Yes I'll second that Prog Rock is a particularly annoying brand of music all that dressing up like extras from The Hobbit is really, really annoying.

So ok listening to records as long as you don’t look at the sleeve pics?

No the music is really annoying too it's just that when it is played by someone dressed as Gandalf, Bilbo or even in a dress with a foxes head on it takes on a whole other level of annoyingness.

That’s fine, you stick to jazz, and I’ll stick to prog!

As for Gandalf etc, I’ve seen quite a few prog rock bands and other than Genesis with Peter Gabriel I don’t recall any bizarre costumes, and never a single Hobbit,  though a couple of bands have had the singer dress in a combat jacket when doing anti-war songs, and one or two painted their faces for effect, but that has never been confined to prog.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Very little really annoys me, although there's stuff I don't like. Noodly jazz for example, not helped by the way the artists (and their acolytes) seems to take it so seriously. Totally closed book to me.

I also have to agree with Iconoclast about the current trend for pop music with odd distorted voice effects on mainly female singers (I think it is called vocoder?) I always assume it is because they cannot sing in tune. it just sets my teeth on edge. Why oh why would they do this otherwise?

In a similar vein overwrought female singers who manage to cram about 14 notes into one syllable. Whitney Houston started it I think, but at least she could actually sing.

Bruce

(although a nod to Lambchop 'Flotus' that uses this vocoder effects in places on Kurt Wagner's voice and somehow it works. Fine album!)

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Peder
Bob the Builder posted:
TallGuy posted:
Peder posted:

The type of Jazz...where all the musicians seem to play their own song,stuck in the same song as the others...I Hate It.!!

/Peder ????

???? TallGuy,Bob the Builder ????????????,...In other musical styles where musicians have a "jamsession",there is at least a ground tune to follow....but this ????.

Is there any musician here on the forum,who can explain what the musicians themselves get out of playing in this way.

Many of us seem to only get headaches of this "free form Jazz",...as it seems to be called.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TallGuy
Peder posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
TallGuy posted:
Peder posted:

/Peder ????

???? TallGuy,Bob the Builder ????????????,...In other musical styles where musicians have a "jamsession",there is at least a ground tune to follow....but this ????.

Is there any musician here on the forum,who can explain what the musicians themselves get out of playing in this way.

Many of us seem to only get headaches of this "free form Jazz",...as it seems to be called.

/Peder ????

Peder, I think this is what they see as "improvisation" but missing the point that they are a band/group who are supposed to be playing together as such and not a set of individuals improvising with no thought to their fellow bandmates, let alone their audience. As an example the bass player should be setting down a rhythm with the drummer, not against him and any other musicians on the stage should play in the same time and to the beat set by their rhythm section. This doesn't preclude improvisation, but does require some self control.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TOBYJUG
Peder posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
TallGuy posted:
Peder posted:

/Peder ????

/Peder ????

With this type they do usually stick to music logic and formula. With a key and scale and other modal variations. With tempo often being the focus of changes.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by dave marshall
TallGuy posted:
Peder posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
TallGuy posted:
Peder posted:

/Peder ????

/Peder ????

Peder, I think this is what they see as "improvisation" but missing the point that they are a band/group who are supposed to be playing together as such and not a set of individuals improvising with no thought to their fellow bandmates, let alone their audience. As an example the bass player should be setting down a rhythm with the drummer, not against him and any other musicians on the stage should play in the same time and to the beat set by their rhythm section. This doesn't preclude improvisation, but does require some self control.

Absolutely correct.

In the days of Cream, their live performances invariably involved a large element of improvisation, but Messrs. Clapton, Bruce and Baker always managed to stay on message, both with each other, and the extended version of the original song being played, (well, with the possible exception of Ginger's drum solos!)

Some of the jazz numbers I hear, before rushing to the dial to change the station over, seems to me to be something of a car crash, aptly described by Tobyjug, above:

"sounds like the entire band falling down an up escalator."

But then, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same. 

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Some of the jazz numbers I hear, before rushing to the dial to change the station over, seems to me to be something of a car crash, aptly described by Tobyjug, above:

"sounds like the entire band falling down an up escalator."

But then, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same. 

You should try some of the Avant Garde classical numbers. Sounds like a whole orchestra falling down an up Escalator.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Peder

???? Tobyjug wrote,..."With this type they do usually stick to music logic and formula.With a key and scale and other modal variations.With tempo often being the focus of changes."

? But they seem to forget that they have an audience to satisfy,..They can feel free to play like that in their rehearsal-room,but not in public contexts.

???? Tallguy wrote,..."As an example the bass player should be setting down a rhythm with the drummer,not against him and any other musicians on the stage should play in the same time and to the beat set by their rhythm section.This doesn't preclude improvisation, ????but does require some self control????".

? Self-Control is the word.!! ???? 

???? Dave Marshall wrote..."Some of the jazz numbers I hear,before rushing to the dial to change the station over,seems to me to be something of a car crash,aptly described by Tobyjug, above:"

? You both have the best description of this "so-called" music.

But my surprising thought is,..What do the musicians get out of playing Jazz in this way?

Peder????

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Richard Morris
Peder posted:

? But they seem to forget that they have an audience to satisfy,..They can feel free to play like that in their rehearsal-room,but not in public contexts.

- There is a public audience for freely improvised jazz.

? Self-Control is the word.!! ???? 

- I'd suggest listening to someone like Evan Parker. Self-control in abundance.

? You both have the best description of this "so-called" music.

- There is absolutely no point in being insulting about music you don't like.

But my surprising thought is,..What do the musicians get out of playing Jazz in this way?

- Because they enjoy it? That's a revealing question, if only because I suspect you would not ask it of musicians playing music you like. Why do you doubt the sincerity of those who take a different view to you?

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Alley Cat

Generally most albums where there's a bloke grimacing on the cover as he poses with a fancy guitar and seems to be taking it far too seriously - they look like they're either straining to take a dump or about to shoot their load such is their pleasure playing with their instruments.

The technical expertise with all this twangy sort of stuff must be immense, just not my kind of music in general but there are certainly exceptions.  Maybe I'm just miserable as I'm a poor guitarist 

No intention of offending anyone, we all love different stuff and it'd be a pretty boring world if everyone liked the same music.

Oh, I also dislike most Rap/HipHop, but again there are always exceptions.

Another, 'The Greatest Showman' soundtrack - had to watch this in the cinema with the kids and I thought it was awful noise - I had to turn it off in the car the other day as it was an utterly annoying cacophony.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TK421

I have concluded from the posts above, that we all do like Electronica, e.g. The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Daft Punk.....

This is excellent news, I knew that there was far more to us than the recent 'A Good Day Out' photograph seemed to imply.

Rave on dudes.

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by Paper Plane

"Another, 'The Greatest Showman' soundtrack - had to watch this in the cinema with the kids and I thought it was awful noise - I had to turn it off in the car the other day as it was an utterly annoying cacophony."

2 granddaughters of 5 & 1 and a wife who love it. I's hardly off the TV when the little 'uns come to stay. I've become immune to it...

steve

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Bert Schurink posted:

Country and Western, Religious Choir Music And German Schlager music....

I quite like some Country music.

Rather surprised you don't like religious choral work as you seem to have broad classical interests, I find many religious choral works very moving or beautiful/calming depending on the type of work - are you against it as it's religious stuff primarily rather than the actual sound?  I'm not particularly religious myself.

Never heard of German Schlager music before, don't suppose it's something like this I heard on Radio 3 today, as that was certainly challenging:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-45272554

Or is it perhaps more like this:

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/al...rtists/4037256005707

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by Loki

... off centre or overly compressed pressings...

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by Clemenza

Great thread topic Tabby! I like most everything, but my fight trigger song is 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) by Simon and Garfunkel. As a teen I worked in a grocery store for a time and they had an elevator soundtrack they played over and over and over that began with this song. It made my teeth grate. I wanted to bust up the joint whenever it came on. I hate it to this day!!!!!

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Wugged Woy

Punk, rap. hip-hop, noodly jazz, anything by Van Morrison or Nick Drake,  and Country & Western...……..

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Kevin-W
TOBYJUG posted:

You should try some of the Avant Garde classical numbers. Sounds like a whole orchestra falling down an up Escalator.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Kevin-W

Fcuking Mumford  and fcuking Sons - 'music' for screeching middle class gels from Clapham.

Beyoncé. Overrated, overhyped clothes horse with a godawful husband.

Anyone who sings with autotune or loads of vibrato.

Sting. Lute-plucking bellend and former Policeman.

Van Morrison. A voice like a duck on helium being put through a mangle.

Stormzy. The sound of a pissed up bloke outside a kebab shop on a Friday night.

Those landfill indie bands that always appear on festivals (eg Catfish & The Bottlemen, one of Liam Gallagher's outfits, etc).

Horrible twee folk music (the Collins sisters, Fairport, ISB, Sandy Denny, Ewan MacColl, etc).

Horrible twee indie/pop music (Tallula Gosh, Belle & Sebastian, Field Mice, etc).

The Pogues, Dexy's Midnight Runners and Spandau Ballet. Just shit. Annoying shit as well.

Power ballads. In fact, ballads generally.

Stodgy brown rice troubadors like Billy Bragg. Bungs one up for days.

Queen. A crime against music.

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Happy Listener

Tammy 'Bl77dy' Wynette and D.I.V.O.R.C.E from c.1968. This coincided with my parents' divorce, which wasn't a pleasant event.

Music genres/styles/bands not for me are:

Rap - all that spitting at the mic

Heavy metal & Prog - it's all just noise to my ears (sorry IB), the worst being those extended and self-indulgent solos while the rest of the band take a break. 

Scat jazz/a lot of modern classical - why, just why, for many of the reasons cited above. 
Many of the old time crooners (e.g. Tony Bennett) and Michael Buble - just play Sinatra and be done with it

Coldplay/U2 - need I say more. For me it's comparable to the Bob Newhart sketch about the 'infinite number of monkeys with the infinite number of typewriters' ...in time they should produce all the world's great literary works. Well, with these 2 bands, I'm still waiting for something to emerge.

Artistes who cover classic songs badly......I like it when someone rearranges/reinterprets something but sometimes 'playing away from home' (listen to Shirley Bassey singing Don't Cry for me Argentina on the 'tube) can be a crime against the eardrums.

Tom Jones - more pants than voice

Processed pop - I've read many reviews over the years of new artistes who, quite often, get good reviews - it escapes me how in many cases. Much of the product seems engineered for c.1970's transistor radios. Often the voice is buried way back in the mix, I suspect to hide the processing and lack of vocal range/talent. Stock, Aitken & Waterman have got a lot to answer for.

Dido -  brings back bad memories of when I was refurbishing my then new house and only had a radio for company because of the level of dirt/dust everywhere. A case of 'before the news we have Dido's latest' and after the news, 'here's now Dido's latest'!! 

The output (let's not call it music) by so-called 'celeb's' who get mainstream media/TV airtime to promote their 'latest project'  -  e.g. the likes of Nick Knowles with guitar in hand.   

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

This thread should be re-christened 'Curmudgeons Corner'. Great stuff.

Kevin-W thanks for making me laugh out loud. I swear I can introduce you to some Billy Bragg tracks that will change your view if you give me a chance. He is far, far less serious than you might think.

Incidentally, autotune is the word I was looking for earlier, not vocoder. Still horrible.

Bruce

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by Richard Morris

Since I can't stand the programme (my wife is a regular listener) I find that the theme tune to The Archers causes me to flee the kitchen.

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by HansW
Kevin-W posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing...

I’m with you on this one. The sound of a band or orchestra falling down an up escalator sounds like an ideal to me, especially if it is greatly amplified.

In fact, I really like free jazz or any other music where several musicians are making lots of sounds simultanously, preferably with a good dose of distortion thrown in, but it does take a good system to ensure it doesn’t end up sounding like mush. Always puts a smile on my face and makes me feel alive.

What I can’t stand is musical music, schlager and much of modern ’manufactured’ pop music. It tends makes me angry and depressed.

Best regards

Hans