Music you can't stand and hearing it puts you in a bad mood :(

Posted by: Tabby cat on 20 August 2018

One Genre which always doe's it for me is Skat Jazz - God I lothe it with a passion.Sometimes on Radio 3 on Saturday at 5 pm they have the Jazz programme.I enjoy the show but the moment they play some Skat I turn it off instantly.A couple of weeks ago I was listening to a old Garage House Mix Cassette tape and was enjoying it until some Skat was mixed over the track.I just ejected the tape and threw it in the bin.....argh Skat I hate it.If I went to Hell that would be my definition having to listen to Skat for an eternity.

Always enjoy normal Jazz though - although there is a huge amount that I haven't yet.

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by Jonners

Where do I bloody start? I know - Bruno "sodding" Mars, Blackeyed Peas and Kings Of Leon, all of whom have not only had 1 hit played endlessly on every radio station for seemingly years on end and but then reproduced awfully by every cover band at every gig to add insult to injury.

I can't bleedin' stand The Lighthouse Family and I'm totally with Kevin W on Sting and Van "The Man". 

"We Built This City" by Starship - simply guaranteed to send me back to bed with a headache.

Reggae - any reggae, particularly UB40, Musical Youth and Eddy Grant. Cack - all of them.

Bon Jovi/Aerosmith/Van Halen - over-rated fret-wanking dross.

My last moan is aimed at "Hi Ho Silver Lining" by Jeff Beck and "New York" Frank Sinatra. I mean - who the hell thought these should be played at a wedding for Chrissakes?

That's it, I'm off for a lie-down....

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Have been thinking of another one and this comes to mind.On Radio 3's late night Junction programme. The avant garde electronic music they play is awful.It always sounds like a 3 year old has been unleashed in a studio with a load of electronic keyboards, sequencers etc.Absolute crap to my ears no melody at all -Rubbish 

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Tabby cat posted:

Have been thinking of another one and this comes to mind.On Radio 3's late night Junction programme. The avant garde electronic music they play is awful.It always sounds like a 3 year old has been unleashed in a studio with a load of electronic keyboards, sequencers etc.

That’s because that is exactly what it is ...and of course you have to be the, erm, proud parents to appreciate!

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by Tabby cat

I.B,

Thanks for your reassurance on the Radio 3 late night junction electronic stuff.It's amazing they have been playing it for years now.I really think the production people must be having a laugh as I couldn't imagine anyone could possible think it's pleasant to listen to.Let alone want to buy an album of it.But it takes all types to make a world I suppose....or as you rightly say parents with children who love pushing buttons  

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by Paper Plane

That awful "song" where some woman keeps screeching Right On Time or something similar. God awful row that hurts my ears. Also Bjork. Similar dreadful racket.

Regarding jazz, as has been mentioned a lot. In the sublime Biederbeck drama series, jazz was described as being of one of three sorts: Hot, cool, and what time does the tune start? Seems pretty fair to me...and I like jazz.

steve

Posted on: 24 August 2018 by VladtheImpala

This is a rather bad-tempered thread! But is had made me laugh out loud...…...

Two very specific recordings and one entire career ones from me...…….

Metal Machine Music makes me want to eat my knees and Trout Mask Replica makes me nauseous.

Oh, and Frank Zappa.

(I can't really stand free jazz either.....)

Posted on: 26 August 2018 by DIL

Pan pipes anyone?

Thankfully less frequent on the streets of the UK than they used to be.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Pev

Dons tin hat.... Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Tori Amos and Bjork 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Kevin-W
Adam Meredith posted:

My very own forum stalker! I am honoured!

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Come On Eileen - cannot bear it, and at every function with music it's guaranteed to be played. Absolutely despise everything about that record, including the video.

ChrisR_EPL posted:

Come On Eileen - cannot bear it, and at every function with music it's guaranteed to be played. Absolutely despise everything about that record, including the video.

Totally agree Chris. The Summer of '82 was ruined by that wretched song. One of the most egregious things ever committed to tape.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Paper Plane
Kevin-W posted:
ChrisR_EPL posted:

Totally agree Chris. The Summer of '82 was ruined by that wretched song. One of the most egregious things ever committed to tape.

Count me in. I can't abide either.  Young At Heart by The Bluebells is similarly teeth grating.

steve

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Mike1951

Anything with religion in it. Any religion. From anywhere.

Vomitarium time...

Paper Plane posted:
Young At Heart by The Bluebells is similarly teeth grating.

steve

God I'd forgotten about that one Steve. Absolutely horrible. Wasn't it also used in a TV ad at one point?

There was a time when you couldn't get away from the bloody thing.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Anything by Yoko Ono.   She ruined the Beatles and went on further to ruin art pop.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by MDS

With apologies to Christopher M, "When the Saints go marching in". Can't think why. In the genes, I guess.  

Kevin-W posted:

Beyoncé. Overrated, overhyped clothes horse with a godawful husband..

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Suzy Wong
MDS posted:With apologies to Christopher M, "When the Saints go marching in". Can't think why. In the genes, I guess.  

Many, many, years ago, a trad "New Orleans" jazz band did a set at the Portsmouth Beer Festival. They were not a local band. Nobody warned them....so guess what they played.....to a room full of (by then) well-oiled Pompey fans.

The organisers had to get the bewildered band off before the impending riot erupted ("We don't understand. It's a traditional song...."), and get Shep Woolley back on to calm things down.

Always liked the song, meself.

Suzy Wong posted:
MDS posted:With apologies to Christopher M, "When the Saints go marching in". Can't think why. In the genes, I guess.  

Many, many, years ago, a trad "New Orleans" jazz band did a set at the Portsmouth Beer Festival. They were not a local band. Nobody warned them....so guess what they played.....to a room full of (by then) well-oiled Pompey fans.

The organisers had to get the bewildered band off before the impending riot erupted ("We don't understand. It's a traditional song...."), and get Shep Woolley back on to calm things down.

Always liked the song, meself.

Yep. I can imagine how that caused a bit of excitement. 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by wenger2015

Anything from a Boy Band..... eg Take That...Westlife....Boyzone ect ect ect 

Any girl band eg Spice Girls....Bannanarama...

Punk music

Rap Music

Chamber Music

Choir Music

Religious Music 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Richard Morris

Portentous piano chords, tinkly guitar, high pitched female voice singing pretentious lyrics. See the Lloyds Bank tv ad for a horrible example.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I agree with the above, and that bank advert is a real turn off.. sickly.

Also I detest the recent trend of having national anthems at sporting events sung in a completely inappropriate way by having an overamplified warbling usually female soloist... makes me wince and I find ever so slightly offensive. National anthems are for everyone with no undue individual prominence.. to sing in unison should they wish.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Kevin-W posted:
Paper Plane posted:
Young At Heart by The Bluebells is similarly teeth grating.

steve

God I'd forgotten about that one Steve. Absolutely horrible. Wasn't it also used in a TV ad at one point?

There was a time when you couldn't get away from the bloody thing.

Katrina & The Waves - Walking on Sunshine

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Ghettoyout

Although I've never heard any of her music, I'm sure Eva Cassidy would make me vomit within seconds.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by dave marshall
Ghettoyout posted:

Although I've never heard any of her music, I'm sure Eva Cassidy would make me vomit within seconds.

Eh?