The Hugo of streaming?

Posted by: charlesphoto on 14 June 2016

Ha, knew that would get your attention!

I was using my UQ1 for streaming only purposes to the DAC V1 via a good s/pdif cable, but was never entirely happy with the set up, esp as the UQ was mostly going to waste. My budget wasn't much, and I didn't want to just move over to another streamer, esp as the asynch USB on the V1 is one of its main features, and supposedly better sounding than coax. I considered a Mac Mini, but then started reading over on the Computer Audiophile forum raves about the forthcoming Sonore microRendu. So last week I got in on the second batch and have had one up and running since Friday with an iFi power supply until I get a proper linear power supply for it (probably the upcoming Uptone LPS based on charging ultracapacitors). 

For those not in the know, the microRendu is about the size of a small flip phone, only connects ethernet in and USB out, and runs a small custom linux OS on an sd card that is accessed headless with a really simple and easy GUI. It was built with low noise hardware and the best sound throughput as the top priority. Took all of under five minutes to set up. It has several modes: Squeezelite, DLNA (regular and open home), NAA Roon/HQ player mode, airshare and I think maybe one other. I have mine running in upnp mode from my Vortexbox using the Lumin app as a controller. Currently also running Roon as a trial, but for what it costs and the hardware requirements its not for me at the moment. Cool app though, esp if you have a big collection.

From the moment I plugged the microRendu in I knew that it was game over. And it just keeps getting better as it burns in; I also added an Atlas Element USB cable that sounds really nice for the price. I think the likes of already fringe companies like Aurender and Auralic have got to be more than bit worried about what these even more fringe upstarts are doing. I'm not really the best person to be doing comparisons because I've never had the $ to change out gear like some do, or work my way up a heirarchy like Naim. But it really is extraordinarily impressive, made my old set up sound "broken" even (and I thought it sounded pretty damn good). I never thought I would have a hifi this good due to $. Lots of talk in hifi about "inky blackness" which I've never really experienced until now. Reverb esp - its like it just floats out into an empty void. A bit disconcerting at first actually! Also the balance is perfect - voices are right where they should be, piano sounds totally natural (the true test imo), nothing recesses or comes forward in any strange way. I was experiencing some fatigue before and now that's history. The only fatigue now is from staying up to late listening to music nonstop!! 

So, if you're looking at streaming options and have a dac (or plan on getting one), then you should check out the mR. Imo its' this years Hugo - a serious game changer, at least as far as where USB audio is at. For me it's all I'll ever need in that regard. And the UQ is now happy and wonderful sounding where it should be, in my basement office, utilizing all of its functions.   

Posted on: 05 May 2018 by charlesphoto
ChrisSU posted:

What you really need is one of the newer, white 2960s as these have two SFP ports, then you can run fibre to your office and ditch another set of FMCs ????

Well, considered that, and then just for the heck of it bypassed them going direct from the 2960, and figured out they aren’t needed now. It must be cleaning up lousy switches that is/was the appeal of these fiber bridges. Wish I’d listened to Simon earlier. Anyone wanna buy a (fiber) bridge (or two) in Seattle?

Posted on: 05 May 2018 by glevethan
charlesphoto posted:
glevethan posted:

Yes just had a look on eBay.  I also went back to the thread on the Linn forum and people are taking about the same 2960 switch.

I seems as though it is not consumer friendly at all?

Are these no longer manufactured new?  I get that impression based on what I see on eBay

Actually they should be just plug and play. Most sellers should do a hard reset to default (if not it’s just a long push of the mode button). If you can, have a look at the date of manufacture or the version - get a higher version if you can (mine are 03). Blue/grey ones start at just under $30; white ones about $120. Remember, these were $500 plus switches when new, so the hardware is good; considered end of life now because of no more software suppport but that’s a non-issue if using as a plain switch. 

So I'm a bit confused. Are the blue gray ones sufficient or should I be looking for a white one? It will replace my NETGEAR switch for all the computers and as a bonus the Linn Klimax DS will be plugged directly into it.

Your post before was a bit confusing are you selling a white one in Seattle?  Or lamenting that you did not go with a white one from the beginning

Blue/gray ones are fine and what I have two of, version 05's. French Rooster will be reporting back on (one of) the Cisco thread(s) how a new white one sounds compared to his older. The white ones have more forwarding ports if useful and just newer build. You might look for a 12 port model if you plan on doing the whole house to one switch and that's enough. Use power and ethernet cables to subtly tune and drive you bonkers. 

Correct me if I am wrong however I seem to remember from the thread on the Linn forum that only the 8 port one is fanless - and all other larger ones have fans?  My switch is (unfortunately) located in my listening room so a fan is a no go.

As for Ethernet cables, as per the Linn forum, I have a Blue Jeans Cable 6A ethernet arriving from Amazon on Monday.  I am going to use this between the switch and the DS.  Power - I will use what comes with the switch.

On a separate and unrelated note my days of using the SonicOrbiter SE have come to an end.  ROON just dropped their major update 1.5 two days ago.....and....native support for the Linn DS's is here!

Wait a minute - these switches are only 10/100?  No /1000?

All my computers are current - and my internet is Verizon FIOS 150/150.  10/100 is not good

Go to the Cisco thread and on page 6 there’s a complete primer and rundown of model numbers. There are 12 port fanless ones. And there are 10/100/1000 models but much more expensive, so why for $30 one uses the Cisco’s as a sub switch. No amount of audio or needs or gear can accept more than 100mb/sec. 

Or wait and see what Uptone come up with this summer for an audiophile switch. Another reason i wouldn’t pay more than one needed to to try a Cisco. 

Where is this thread?  I did the search and could not find it - just a few different Cisco threads.

Perhaps Richard will not mind if you post a link as it will be a link to a thread on the Naim forum - or perhaps you are speaking about a thread on another forum?

The other Cisco threads on the Naim forum I browsed also spoke of the Naim recommended bog standard Netgear GS108 switch.  Any comments on this?

I don't want to go switch, or PS, crazy.

Here: I think page 6 is the one you want,

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/cisco-switch

Thanks!

Charlesphoto

Since you have been dabbling with this for longer than I have can you please advise on this:

As per reading page 6 and the different models I found the following on eBay US (as I am in the States).  You can probably copy and paste as the forum will not allow outside links) and see the same listing as I do

Cisco 2960C WS-C2960CG-8TC-L 8 Port Gigabit - the seller is Netyorker

This looks to be the Catalyst model  - Gigabit - for $159 - internal PS fanless

It appears to be an attractive deal

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by joe9407

yes, that one seems like a decent deal for the newer model -- though as mentioned earlier, the older "blue/green" ones for circa $50 will be good enough for audio streaming purposes.

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by glevethan

Cisco 2960C WS-C2960CG-8TC-L 8 Port Gigabit

Bought it - $149 delivered

I am happy.  I will run a Blue Jeans 6A ethernet cable between the switch and my Klimax DS

The switch will be used for all of my devices.  The reason not to isolate just the DS on a separate switch is because the DS is fed with FLAC files stored on an external HD connected to a downstairs iMac.  So the iMac needs to go into this switch - so the other computers and wifi points might as well

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Congrats.. yes absolutely no point in having a separate switch for audio devices... it kind of defeats the main purpose of using a switch (as opposed to a network hub)

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply.  I think the last time we interacted on the forum was back in the Lavry days!

I am excited.

One thing I could not understand is the concept of the last few feet of the ethernet chain.  As stated above my files reside on an external HD connected to an iMac in the kitchen.  The iMac then connects to the switch in the listening room - via what must be about 100-150 feet of old Cat5 cable.  My problem was always understanding how the last few feet of premium ethernet cable could make a difference if the first 100 feet was generic wire.

I believe I now understand - please correct me if I am wrong.  I read that switches such as these Cisco devices internally  "regenerate/rebuild"  the signal - to put it in simple terms.  At that point the ethernet cable between the switch and my Linn then becomes important (thus the Blue Jeans 6A cable (recommended on the Linn forum along with Supra, Certicable etc.).

Best

Gregg

joe9407 posted:

yes, that one seems like a decent deal for the newer model -- though as mentioned earlier, the older "blue/green" ones for circa $50 will be good enough for audio streaming purposes.

I figured I would splurge.  I also wanted a gigabit switch.  I have 150/150 fiber however I can go as high as 300/300 if I want.  1 gig fiber is eventually coming 

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by Gazza

Will not make any difference to the current or the soon to be new Naim streamers....only need rated at 100.

Gazza posted:

Will not make any difference to the current or the soon to be new Naim streamers....only need rated at 100.

However it will make a difference for the non audio network traffic in my house so why not

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by charlesphoto

I think you've made a fine purchase, and one I probably would myself if I wasn't already knee deep in switches!

Also, I wouldn't discount the ethernet cable you have going into the switch, not just coming out. It will be a lot more subtle, but I know I can tell the difference between cables from my NUC to the 2960 (which then feeds another 2960 via fiber). Like I said, it's subtle, and your YMMV. A bigger jump in SQ would be getting off the iMac and using a purpose built or low power server (like a NUC with an inexpensive linear power supply) - maybe one that can be located closer to the listening room and run a decent piece of Cat6 from it to the Cisco. But for now the switch should make a difference. 

Charles

I was already thinking about getting a Blue Jeans cable to go between the Router and switch.  The cost is negligible.

As for NUC's, servers etc I know you use Rendu's, Uptone etc. for your Naim DAC.

Fortunately the Linn DS's really need none of that.  A simple UPnP feed via Ethernet is all that is really necessary.  The entire DS line has some pretty significant internal circuitry which takes care of everything and eliminates the need for external purifiers and other such devices.

Posted on: 13 May 2018 by tsh

I’m keen to try LPS+LT3045 route for power supply, my soldering skills must be sufficient as I have built a Crack headphone amp recently. But I would need 2A current, as I want to try it with a RPi based streamer - as I understand I would need to run 4 boards in parallel, as each one is 500mA? Any idea on where to find a decent guidance on how to make it work? I understand that some additional components will be needed for this

Posted on: 13 May 2018 by charlesphoto

Alexy sells 1a Lt3045 boards on the bay. Waiting on one to go in between LPS-1 and microRendu. He’ll also solder the connectors on if you ask.

Posted on: 13 May 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
glevethan posted:

I believe I now understand - please correct me if I am wrong.  I read that switches such as these Cisco devices internally  "regenerate/rebuild"  the signal - to put it in simple terms.  

Gregg, exactly right, a switch recreates the data frames, and at a lower level still, the switch has its own synchronisation clock for sending data over the  twisted pairs.

As far as data into and out of the switch, there seems to be a misunderstanding by some posters, as far as the switch is concerned, every device it’s connected to is sending to it... think of it like spokes around a hub, or traffic entering and leaving a large multi lane traffic roundabout with several exits each with traffic coming and going. ... so from a point of few of flow of frames there is no real concept of data into the switch from a single remote switch or router or NAS.. every connected device is sending to the switch.... it’s how duplex Ethernet switching works... it’s just  the vehicles will be carrying different  size loads, but there will be a limit for the largest truck permitted.

Posted on: 13 May 2018 by Brilliant
tsh posted:

I’m keen to try LPS+LT3045 route for power supply, my soldering skills must be sufficient as I have built a Crack headphone amp recently. But I would need 2A current, as I want to try it with a RPi based streamer - as I understand I would need to run 4 boards in parallel, as each one is 500mA? Any idea on where to find a decent guidance on how to make it work? I understand that some additional components will be needed for this

Over at diyaudio forums (vendor's bazaar section) there is one thread on LT3045 based pcbs, 3A (and soon 5A) offered by the member Stammheim. You can get bare or complete, ac/dc or dc/dc and they are good quality - he is helpful if you let him know your exact needs.

Posted on: 13 May 2018 by Brilliant
charlesphoto posted:

Alexy sells 1a Lt3045 boards on the bay. Waiting on one to go in between LPS-1 and microRendu. He’ll also solder the connectors on if you ask.

I ordered one of those a while back but have not received it.  I hope to use it in an old LT1083 ps I have lying around. I hope you report back your impressions with the LPS-1. My LPS-1/mR(1.3) setup benefits greatly from the addition of the ISO-Regen, but do not know if that would benefit you with the 1.4 board.

Posted on: 14 May 2018 by Mr Underhill
Brilliant posted:

Hi M,

Interesting CAT7 usage-obviously has good EMI shielding. The 2 twisted pairs of( 22AWG?) PoE should be sufficient for the LPS and could  be soldered directly to the DC connectors (with some care).

B

Hi Brilliant,

Yes, EMI/RFI has been part of the discussion elsewhere, and doesn't feel logically correct, adding cable and improving EMI/RFI?

One report that was added to the thread:

Really late to this thread, but thanks to @sligolad posting on CA I found this most interesting thread, I must spend to much time listening and not enough reading. Anyway I skimmed a lot of the earlier discussion and read most of the last 50 pages or so. So Wednesday I placed an order for 2 ugreen 1M Cat 7's and 4 pairs of PoE adaptors and below is my story of this. On most forums I am known as quadman. My chain before this was AMD Ryzen 1800x based PC, 16GB 3000MHz ram, titanium PSU, 64GB Intel SLC OS drive, with win 10 pro, AO, AF Pro 8.1. I power this drive with a DIYinHK linear PSU at 5V and use Coboc 6" sata cables, Music is on a 3.5" Security (WD Red) based HDD (5200 RPM), roon and tidal. I upsample everything to DSD512. From PC I use custom silver 6" USB tail to Uptone regen powered by 7V off 2nd leg of DIYinHK LPSU, 2M wire world Starlight7 to a Isoregen (GI turned off or it won't play) and a short uptone USPCB connector to my T+A dac8 DSD dac. I power the IR with a S11 PSU. I put the PoE's between DIYinHK LPS and regen and S11 and IR.

Well my uGreen 1m cat 7 cables and passive PoE adaptors showed up yesterday, despite reading very favorable comments from folks who use this setup to power devices I was skeptical, how could adding more connections in the power path be a good thing. I was using shielded (JSSG mod) starquad power cables connected directly to PSU at one end and 2.1x5.5mm barrel connector at device end, now I was removing the direct connection at LPSU end installing a female 2.1mm connector and plugging a PoE adaptor into that, a ugreen cat 7 cable into the ethernet part at both ends of PoE's and the barrel of the second PoE into a Isoregen located at the dac (T+A dac 8 DSD) and a regen located at the PC. So I had now replaced 2 shielded direct connected (at LPSU) starquad cables with this mess of cat 7 and PoE adaptors. It took several on/off, plug/unplug cycles for the PC to see the Dac (that IR is a fussy piece) and I set a playlist to play with the amps turned off my goal to get 4-5 hours of burn in before sitting to listen.

Well it was now time to sit and listen and listen I did, it was a 6 hour session and for most of it I was playing music from my most played albums on Roon, the first 3 pages of albums, albums I know very well as I listen an average of 100 hours a month, not background listening, but sit and focus on music listening. Dumbfounded is all I can say this was a pretty big change, a very positive change. Wider, deeper soundstage with much more energy inside it. Backgrounds just disappeared and you are left with just the performers, more solid than before even at the edges of the sound stage, their presence was just more than anytime before. Leading edges of transients where fast and very well defined giving a nice dynamic jump to the sound from pre PoE. I detected no edges of digital glare at all to the sound 6 hours in I still wanted to listen, but the clock told me to go to bed (it was 2:30am). Overall the sound was more like I was at the performance than the performance playing on my stereo. It had more of a human quality to it, more dynamic, more transparent, more speed. Very pleased with this PoE chain and I have no idea why it does what it does. My next move is to direct connect the PoE adaptor to the LPSU's and add another one to power my SLC OS SSD inside my PC. I will also add some in series LT3045 regulators to step the voltage down from my LPSU from 7V to 5V and I will power the SSD, IR and regen at this voltage, that I expect will be another jump up based on comments of those who have done the same.

This is my experience too. Really, it is cheap - give it a go!

M