The best standard power cord?

Posted by: Efraim roots on 25 January 2010

Greetings!
Naim is very sensitive to installation I have learned and I'm trying to get most out of my 202/200. I got the 'I Sheng' powercord with the nap200 and I today thought that I should try a 'Ching Cheng' that came with my Lingo2 on the nap200. I also did a search on this forum and read that 'ching cheng' also been used as standard cord with Naim equipment aswell as Linn.

I must say that the difference is really fundamental were the 'ching cheng' is more warm, tuneful and balanced the 'I sheng' is more cold and clear, more 'hammering' rythmwize. I think I prefer the ching cheng in the long run but I will experiment some more.

I also compared the 'I sheng' with a recent Linn standard cord called 'Tongyuan' on my Lingo2 and did not hear the same differences as on the amp, here the Tongyuan was simply better on everything, tunwize, PRAT and soundwize.

Have somebody tried and compared the different standard cords sent with Naim equipment? Wich do you prefer? Have you taken notice on the direction of the cable? It's a shame that the direction of standard cables are random. I would like to know wich is best musically and PRATwize.

If I buy a new cord from my Naim dealer which will I likley get today? Im located in northern Europe.
Posted on: 27 January 2010 by dave simpson
Graham,

No need to leave. It appears you fit right in - two pair of Quads and in the same system?

regards,

dave
For those that feel this feel this thread is about obsessing...

Where should maximizing your investment begin and end? How do you know this isn't the only conversation some have had on the topic and perhaps their last? Who are we to judge?
Posted on: 27 January 2010 by graham55
quote:
Originally posted by dave simpson:
Graham,

No need to leave. It appears you fit right in - two pair of Quads and in the same system?

regards,

dave

Three actually, but I'm not having any further involvement on this one. Too sad!
Posted on: 27 January 2010 by shoot6x7
The only comment I'll make is my personal tests where I used Shunyata Copperhead power cables on my TT, 140 and CD player.

When I put in the WELL SHIN cables or TIBIA in Naim parlance, I lost a bit of soundstage, the harshness and gained balance and melody.
quote:
Originally posted by graham55:
quote:
Originally posted by dave simpson:
Graham,

regards,

dave

Three actually, but I'm not having any further involvement on this one. Too sad!

LOL...I'll bet a beer I'd obsess like hell over the sound of your rig. I've always wanted to hear ESLs on the end of Naim but it's darn near impossible here in the States.
Posted on: 27 January 2010 by graham55
Well, Dave, when you're next over...
Thanks! ;-)
Posted on: 27 January 2010 by Efraim roots
Thanks for the few serious answers. Otherwise the biggest knowledge gained is about the level of this forum, but that is also good to know.
Posted on: 27 January 2010 by panda
i was a power cord skeptic but the standard tibia cord is quite nice. made the sound tighter on my non naim gear.
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by Mike-B
WARNING - Only to be read by the certified SANE
Best that people who believe power cords make earth shattering changes go lie down in a darkened room.

Go check out this new level of s-s-s-snake oil infes-s-sted in-s-s-s-s-sanity designed to s-s-s-eparate un-s-s-s-pecting s-s-s-s-souls of their s-s-s-surplus-s-s-s cas-s-s-s-h

Posted on: 28 January 2010 by mongo
But it looks so cool I want one to put on my bookshelves as an ornament. Big Grin
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by Richard Dane
Mike, that picture is begging for a caption competition.

"Mains lead ate my Hamster - both of them!"
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by mongo
I bet that (in modern safety Britain) a person could be lifted for carrying such a weapon like thing de-bagged, as it were. Smile
Richard +LOL+
Might find a few moments in my busy day.

Might be fun to do a product review
... massive improvements in string section timbre
... hear the different wood types on the xylophone
... woodwind sounds more rounded
... gives a lovely hickory undertone when used on sandwich toasters
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by Steve2701
I seriously hope they got the grain / sap / cable crystal bounderies all working in the same direction or the whole effect would be - err - worthless / 'wooden' in its voicing?
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by Mike Dudley
Oh no! I should have stuck with the plugboard!

Or perhaps just some bell-wire...

Makes you wonder why NAIM bother producing the Powerline, AS IF that is going to make any difference!

Whilst we're at it, perhaps they can stop producing all but the least expensive players and amps etc. Plainly, these upgrades are just a waste of moolah...
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by dave simpson
It's currently convenient and fashionable to deny any difference in sound between components other than cartridges, TTs and speakers on these forums. It makes things much tidier, more safe and secure.
I don't think many on the post are denying a difference in sound exists between various power cords.
NB: I did say different, not better.

Problem is some people are convinced & proclaim they hear a night & day difference, others say its all BS and no change exists. Me (personally) I can hear a difference between standard cord up to my DIY setup & a Powerline, but at best its subtle and IMO not worth too much time or drinking vouchers for any of them. And I don't doubt that the type that swallow hamsters sound different also. I posted that picture because of the laughable claims (night & day) plus the pricing, must be snake oil has gone thru the roof on the commodity market.

Its the enthusiasm over the difference between standard power cords, Pirelli or Shenzhen Specialz, is where we seem to be arguing. These leads can be bought on www for less than £2, are made of PVC (worlds worse insulator) with mounded PVC ends & dubious bits of metal inside. If a difference can be heard its probably caused by variable quality. Who knows.

But if it gives someone some fun & keeps them interested in whatever we get out of this hobby, Great
But don't ask me, & I guess a few others, to believe its ground shaking or believable.
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by dave simpson
Mike,

Personally, I don't believe the differences are anything to write home about either but they do exist. Others will find the differences more important and they can be a cheap way to get a small improvement. My cables cost $12-$25US dollars for example.

regards,

dave
Posted on: 19 February 2010 by Ewan Aye
quote:
Originally posted by JWM:
quote:
Originally posted by Efraim roots:
...I want to make those final details perfect.

There is also one other big benefit of knowing which of your standard power cords that sounds best. Because you could move the best sounding cables towards the source.

Surely the easy solution is to try your mains cables in every combination to see which is best? Though you must give each combination the correct amount of time to warm up before judging.

So, plug everything together in 'arrangement 1', making a note of which mains cable is which.

Switch on and let it warm up until fully on-song (3 days to a week).

Have a good listen. Perhaps make a few written notes.

Switch off. Unplug and replug mains cables to next combination 'arrangement 2' - changing no more than one mains cable at a time, so that you know the effect each brings.

Switch on again and let it warm up until fully on-song (3 days to a week) ensuring this is for the same period as you did before.

Have a good listen (in the interests of fairness, to the same pieces of music, and at the same time of day on the same day of the week to try to get as near as possible to the same power demand conditions on the electricity grid). Make (or not) a few written notes as before, on the same criteria.

Repeat process ad nauseam until all combinations are exhausted. Compare notes and make final judgement/arrangement.

Note: none of this can be done until your equipment is run-in - at least six weeks, though it is likely to continue improve in subtle ways over anything upto six months.

Don't forget that your seat will have to be in exactly the same place, wearing the same clothes and with exactly the same length of hair. If you put on a little weight, you'll need to start over. Smile
Posted on: 19 February 2010 by rich46
quote:
Originally posted by Mike-B:
I don't think many on the post are denying a difference in sound exists between various power cords.
NB: I did say different, not better.

Problem is some people are convinced & proclaim they hear a night & day difference, others say its all BS and no change exists. Me (personally) I can hear a difference between standard cord up to my DIY setup & a Powerline, but at best its subtle and IMO not worth too much time or drinking vouchers for any of them. And I don't doubt that the type that swallow hamsters sound different also. I posted that picture because of the laughable claims (night & day) plus the pricing, must be snake oil has gone thru the roof on the commodity market.

Its the enthusiasm over the difference between standard power cords, Pirelli or Shenzhen Specialz, is where we seem to be arguing. These leads can be bought on www for less than £2, are made of PVC (worlds worse insulator) with mounded PVC ends & dubious bits of metal inside. If a difference can be heard its probably caused by variable quality. Who knows.

But if it gives someone some fun & keeps them interested in whatever we get out of this hobby, Great
But don't ask me, & I guess a few others, to believe its ground shaking or believable.
i agree with youin the main, but we must not get carried away,pvc is a cheap good insulator upto voltages of 11000v in general.

wiring sysyems would be more expensive if we replaced pvc regards allan

keep mains cables short,screened if possible and route them away from signal cables, if they have to cross them try for 90 degrees. every so often clean the pins and replace the fuse