What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 12 June 2017 by Haim Ronen

Starting tonight:

Posted on: 13 June 2017 by Paper Plane

Whilst doing research for my next layout project.

steve

Posted on: 16 June 2017 by TOBYJUG

Picked this up from an antique book shop 

http://www.ayeregobooks.com/shop_image/product/42324.jpg

Originality. A popular study of the creative mind.  By T. Sharper Knowlson.  Original 1918 edition.  Absolute joy to read.

Posted on: 17 June 2017 by Onlyonearrow

Just finished reading this.  Found it a gripping and atmospheric thriller.  Clever writing leaves you questioning/doubting the evidence and witness statements.  

Posted on: 21 June 2017 by DrMark

Just started this short one after reading a 750 page tome...

Posted on: 24 June 2017 by Haim Ronen

Starting:

Graeme Wood is a national correspondent for The Atlantic and a contributor to The New Republic, The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and many other publications. He teaches in the political science department at Yale University.

Posted on: 05 July 2017 by Haim Ronen

The only book to dramatize from both the Japanese and Allied points of view, the events surrounding this tragic, historic last mission of the biggest battleship ever built in the history of naval warfare.

Posted on: 05 July 2017 by Bob the Builder

KOH - I - NOOR  (The History of the World's Most Infamous Diamond) - William Dalrymple & Anita Anand

Posted on: 10 July 2017 by Ivo B

Just finished this one. Ready for the book 9 in detective Bennett sequence. 

Posted on: 10 July 2017 by DrMark

Posted on: 28 July 2017 by Haim Ronen

Planned by Churchill, authorized by Eisenhower, and executed by five specially trained bomber units, the attack on the oil refineries of Ploesti, Romania, was among the most daring and dangerous missions of World War II. If it succeeded, the Nazi war machine would be brought to its knees.On August 1, 1943, nearly 200 bombers flew from North Africa, with directions to descend on the target at treetop level, bomb the refineries, and return. But despite warnings that the secrecy of the mission had been compromised, it went ahead. The ensuing air-ground battle claimed dozens of aircraft, and many of the survivors were forced to ditch into the ocean due to lack of fuel and/or terminal damage."Into the Fire" recreates this great battle, combining original research and interviews with survivors in order to capture the tension, drama, and heroics of this fateful attempt to cut of the Nazi supply of "black gold."

Posted on: 28 July 2017 by Haim Ronen

Starting:

Posted on: 29 July 2017 by Bert Schurink

Posted on: 29 July 2017 by Paper Plane

Just finished Pynchon's Bleeding Edge and I think it one of his best yet.

For a complete change I've gone for a PD James Dalgleish next. A Certain Justice 

steve 

Posted on: 02 August 2017 by Haim Ronen

Michael Lewis’ new book, The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Minds discusses the underpinnings of Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky’s psychological work, focused on judgment and decision-making.

Posted on: 09 August 2017 by Romi

I read this book many years ago, fortunately I forgot the whole story.  Reading it again is exciting, the characters are so believable, Grishan knows how to set court room tension and introduce unexpected situations. The story is about probate of a rich estate, and the usual vile vultures which fight over money.  In my old work involving law, the worse type of human beings I came across were not criminal clients but beneficiaries of a will and persons who think they should inherit under the will.  An average human being who was tolerated and accepted in this world becomes a monster, losing all integrity, good will just on the sniff of money.  At least among criminals there was a sort of a code of behaviour and they knew it was wrong what they did (if they did do the guilty act).

Posted on: 09 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Just finished re-reading Annie Proulx's - The Shipping News

Very well written, and each chapter themed around a knot. It's a story with a dark heart but with love triumphing over adversity in the end.

Posted on: 09 August 2017 by DrMark

Posted on: 09 August 2017 by Bert Schurink

I am addicted to my Kindle...reading it in Dutch...

Posted on: 10 August 2017 by BigH47

Picked up from local library sale , Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert, follow on from the events of Dune.

Posted on: 11 August 2017 by Kevin-W

First edition of Ackroyd's typically idiosyncratic, but beautifully written and generally splendid survey of the English imagination.

Posted on: 11 August 2017 by Ivo B

Now reading about kayak, adventure and Siberian mistique. 

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by Paper Plane

Was given this for Christmas (!) Wasn't sure about it as I didn't know much about him but finding it a fascinating read. He's slightly crazy but seems a decent and genuine bloke. And he lives less than 50 miles from here as I was amazed to find.

steve

Posted on: 02 September 2017 by Florestan

Liberalism or How to Turn Good Men [& women] into Whiners Weenies and Wimps by Burgess Owens

Posted on: 02 September 2017 by Paper Plane

Recently finished this:

I only finished it because I was on holiday and didn't have anything else to read. It's ok I 'spose, it is a different take on the thriller genre, but I don't see what all the fuss was about.

steve