What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 26 October 2017 by Bert Schurink

And now just started the 4th in the series - very nice...

Posted on: 26 October 2017 by Timmo1341

I think I'd put Baldacci alongside the likes of Jack Higgins and Clive Cussler. Reasonably well written, easy reading flummery for which a massive suspension of disbelief  is necessary!!

Posted on: 26 October 2017 by Bert Schurink
Timmo1341 posted:

I think I'd put Baldacci alongside the likes of Jack Higgins and Clive Cussler. Reasonably well written, easy reading flummery for which a massive suspension of disbelief  is necessary!!

There is a moment for every form of reading. There are days for literature and days for just focusing your mind on something else. 

Posted on: 26 October 2017 by Haim Ronen

Just beginning:

"A stunning look at World War II from the other side...

From the turret of a German tank, Colonel Hans von Luck commanded Rommel's 7th and then 21st Panzer Division. El Alamein, Kasserine Pass, Poland, Belgium, Normandy on D-Day, the disastrous Russian front--von Luck fought there with some of the best soldiers in the world. German soldiers.

Awarded the German Cross in Gold and the Knight's Cross, von Luck writes as an officer and a gentleman. Told with the vivid detail of an impassioned eyewitness, his rare and moving memoir has become a classic in the literature of World War II, a first-person chronicle of the glory--and the inevitable tragedy--of a superb soldier fighting Hitler's war."

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by tonym
Bert Schurink posted:

Might give this one a try Bert.

I'm currently on the fourth book in Ken Follet's Kingsbridge series - 

Ken Follet's got a very simple, clear writing style, some would call it simplistic. But he's a superb storyteller, and his books are all meticulously researched. This, like all others of his I've read, is hugely enjoyable. If you've not read "The Pillars Of The Earth" I can heartily recommend it.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Bert Schurink
tonym posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Might give this one a try Bert.

I'm currently on the fourth book in Ken Follet's Kingsbridge series - 

Ken Follet's got a very simple, clear writing style, some would call it simplistic. But he's a superb storyteller, and his books are all meticulously researched. This, like all others of his I've read, is hugely enjoyable. If you've not read "The Pillars Of The Earth" I can heartily recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I already have this one on my Kindle and it’s next up when I finish the King and Maxwell series together with Dan Browns new one. I love Ken Follet and by the way still have to kill the other series of books (3000 pages which I started but didn’t finish due to the passing of my father years ago)...

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by Timmo1341
Bert Schurink posted:
Timmo1341 posted:

There is a moment for every form of reading. There are days for literature and days for just focusing your mind on something else. 

Don't take it the wrong way, Bert. I enjoy easy reading as much as the next person. I'm working my way through Rory Clements' 'John Shakespeare' series at the moment. Quite compulsive, page turning pap!! 

Posted on: 31 October 2017 by Jeff Anderson

Giles French  -  "Cattle Country Of Peter French"   a book about the history of 1870's southeastern Oregon and the Steens Mountains area

Posted on: 31 October 2017 by Haim Ronen

A fascinating book, a 1951 edition with excellent illustrations.

Posted on: 03 November 2017 by Massimo Bertola

Read only the first story so far, but still am wondering what brought this guy to the Nobel prize.

Posted on: 03 November 2017 by Chunky

Just finished this. An interesting insight into Springsteen's mind and music. Very enjoyable.

Posted on: 06 November 2017 by Huwge

Posted on: 08 November 2017 by TOBYJUG

https://pictures.abebooks.com/RIVERRUN/21263654498.jpg

Not so much reading, more re-engaging with the visual metaphors.

http://www.marthagarzon.com/contemporary_art/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Matthew-Barney.jpg

Posted on: 13 November 2017 by mudwolf

Xmas gift 3 years ago and haven't read it yet, most books with pictures like my school history/science books I'd go thru  them the first night.  This one I have lots of early jazz on vinyl and CD to savor the period and music.

Posted on: 13 November 2017 by Jeff Anderson

"Devil's Bargain:  Steve Bannon, Donald Trump and The Storming Of The Presidency"  by Joshua Green

Posted on: 14 November 2017 by mudwolf

Oops didn't include the book, lots of great pics from Ken Burns Jazz series. 

Posted on: 22 November 2017 by Paper Plane

Not reading but listening to Geoffrey Household's Rogue Male on Radio 4 Extra. It's a cracking thriller, despite its age and has some fascinating philosophical asides in it.

steve

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Bob the Builder

Koh-i-Noor: The History of the World's Most Infamous Diamond - William Dalrymple and Anita Anand.

I started this book a while back but have been so busy with work that haven't had a chance to pick it up again but I did so last night and it is an excellent read.

Posted on: 04 December 2017 by Bert Schurink

A very impressive book

Posted on: 10 December 2017 by AlCrom

No book, actually. I was searching for a few posts of mine I penned yesterday and today, but they have suddenly disappeared from the relative thread. So I could say I'm reading nothing presently. Safe the few lines I have just written.

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by Paper Plane

A re-read after about 40 years.

steve

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by Jeff Anderson

Anna Quindlen  - "Living Out Loud"  essays written for the New York Times when the author was experiencing the decade of her thirties as wife, mother, and columnist.  Probably the tenth time I have reread this heartwarming book.

Posted on: 26 December 2017 by Haim Ronen

Just starting: