What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 27 December 2017 by Komet

So how balanced is the book?

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by Haim Ronen
Komet posted:

So how balanced is the book?

If the question is directed to The New Sultan my answer would be that I it is well balanced, giving praise and criticizing according to policies and events. The book was being taken to print just after the 2016 coup attempt so the most recent extreme steps taken by Erdogan are not covered here. The writing is pretty academic, clear but a little on the dry side which I don't mind. Definitely worth reading.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Kevin-W

German hack Todenhöfer infiltrates Isis hellhole. The man has balls of steel. A brilliant and compelling - if rather depressing - read.

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by DrMark

Posted on: 04 January 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Katy Tur  -  "Unbelievable: My Front-row Seat To The Craziest Campaign In American History" (2017)

Posted on: 04 January 2018 by Nigel 66

Posted on: 06 January 2018 by Kevin-W

Santa bought me this. A great survey of record sleeve, poster and graphic design from the punk era.

Posted on: 09 January 2018 by Dozey

Imperium - Richard Harris.

Posted on: 09 January 2018 by Paper Plane

Anyone splashed out on a copy of Fire And Fury yet?

steve

Posted on: 11 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

A real-life political thriller about an American financier in the Wild East of Russia, the murder of his principled young tax attorney, and his dangerous mission to expose the Kremlin's corruption.

Posted on: 11 January 2018 by Haim Ronen
Paper Plane posted:

steve

Why bother? 

Posted on: 11 January 2018 by Kevin-W

Peter Doggett's masterful account of the breakup of The Beatles:

Posted on: 11 January 2018 by Jan-Erik Nordoen

The story of Lev Termen, Russian inventor, most famous for his invention of the theremin, one of the first electronic musical instruments and the first to be mass-produced. Beautifully written as a novel with Lev as the narrator. Love, music and electricity are the binding threads. Gripping !

Posted on: 14 January 2018 by Massimo Bertola
Kevin-W posted:

With due respect for you and your choice of books, I have loved them too much, so I even hope to see them forgotten than become the perennial object of a mix of irrational devotion and cynic, cunning revisionism as it seems to happen to all great things gone.

M.

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Brian Kilmeade - "George Washington's Secret Six"  -  the spy ring that saved the American Revolution

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by stuart.ashen

The Churchill Factor by BJ. An outstanding read whatever you might think of Boris.

Stu

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 19 January 2018 by Kevin-W
Max_B posted:
Kevin-W posted:

With due respect for you and your choice of books, I have loved them too much, so I even hope to see them forgotten than become the perennial object of a mix of irrational devotion and cynic, cunning revisionism as it seems to happen to all great things gone.

M.

Have you read the book Max?

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

The heroic story of a Polish squadron fighting as part of the RAF in the battle of Britain. The book was written in the midst of the war and copies of it were parachuted to Poland to raise their moral in the struggle to free themselves from the German occupiers. 

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by winkyincanada

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by winkyincanada
Haim Ronen posted:

A real-life political thriller about an American financier in the Wild East of Russia, the murder of his principled young tax attorney, and his dangerous mission to expose the Kremlin's corruption.

Couldn't stomach the self-serving, egotistical, bragging style of the author. Quit about 25% of the way through.

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by u77033103172058601
Paper Plane posted:

steve

Bought it and read it over a 4 day stay at a Landmark property. One could almost (almost) feel some sympathy for Drumpkopf.

As a counterpoint to F&F I also read "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut and "The Somme" by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore, both rather better written than F&F. 

Posted on: 25 January 2018 by Haim Ronen
winkyincanada posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Couldn't stomach the self-serving, egotistical, bragging style of the author. Quit about 25% of the way through.

Pity. The writing is nothing to write home about but the real events are captivating.

Posted on: 25 January 2018 by winkyincanada
Haim Ronen posted:
winkyincanada posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Pity. The writing is nothing to write home about but the real events are captivating.

I just couldn't stand reading one more time about how awesome he was.