ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

Also the number Wheel gives a nice testament of what the ND555 is capable, can be also used very well to test the differences between different sources. Detail, soundstage etc are tested on this one...

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by yeti42
DaveBk posted:

Are you sure this isn’t a case of using the wrong Burndies? I recall reading somewhere that the ones on the ND555 are wired differently?

They were the Burndys that come with the ND, they worked on the shop’s DR ps but not on mine, you can’t fit them in the wrong holes either. After getting it working in the shop Simon came back and we tried my ps again, still no joy so he left with my ps and left me the ND to contemplate.

yeti42 posted:
DaveBk posted:

Are you sure this isn’t a case of using the wrong Burndies? I recall reading somewhere that the ones on the ND555 are wired differently?

They were the Burndys that come with the ND, they worked on the shop’s DR ps but not on mine, you can’t fit them in the wrong holes either. After getting it working in the shop Simon came back and we tried my ps again, still no joy so he left with my ps and left me the ND to contemplate.

I am sure things will resolve itself for you as well. You will be up for an amazing experience.

I’m taking consolation in some vinyl and I’d add a gratuitous picture if I could work out how to post it from imgur, all I can get is an empty square buy copying the link into “insert image”.

Got it, long touch on the image and copy link rather than use share and copy link!

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Sloop John B

I just did a search for NDS from 2012 looking for  smart alec  quotes I could throw in to show this has all been said before. I came across a thread where 2 of the industry participants are  sadly no longer with us. 

To Bert and all, enjoy your new ND555s , I sincerely hope they bring many hours and years of listening pleasure. 

.sjb

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by French Rooster

i wonder if the nds vs nd555 is like comparing cds3 vs cd555.   Some preferred in the past the cds3. Will there be some that will prefer the nds vs nd555?

Anyway i find that my nds is sounding specially good, on hirez downloads more.  With my new cisco 2960 switch and 2 audioquest diamonds, the sound is very involving today, smooth and 3d imaging.   The authority is also restored now.  It is not the same «  a bit polite sound «  when i bought it 2 years ago.

But of course i am very tempted by the new beast....    I am now very curious to discover how the nds will be compared to the ndx2.   

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Harry

I preferred the presentation of the CDS3 to the CD555, although it is impossible to fault the latter for detail retrieval. From what I have heard so far, admittedly second hand, does not indicate that the ND555 will be to the NDS what the CD555 was to the CDS3. Each to their own ears.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Foot tapper

I'm not sure that the CDS3 to CD555 step is a helpful benchmark for the increment from NDS to ND555.

Both CDS3 and CD555 are inherently musical, the CDS3 being very smooth, analogue (?) and polite, while the CD555 keeps the qualities of the CDS3 and adds back the fireworks, life & fun of the CDX2.

I found the ND555 to be simply in a different league to the NDS.  Everything, but everything is a step or two more lifelike and emotionally captivating with the ND555 after an NDS.

Sorry, he says while saving up the pennies himself...

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by glevethan
Foot tapper posted:

Both CDS3 and CD555 are inherently musical, the CDS3 being very smooth, analogue (?) and polite, while the CD555 keeps the qualities of the CDS3 and adds back the fireworks, life & fun of the CDX2.

Wow - what a great analysis.  Exactly what I found when I had the CDX2, CDS3 and ultimately the CD555.

I have to admit that all of this talk about the new 555 is tempting however, unfortunately, Naim lost me many years ago.  Once the HDX came out (and its poor performance imho) it was too late.  When I abandoned CD I moved into the Linn camp (along with many other Naim CD owners).  The 552/500 always remain

The issue for me now becomes the fact that Linn allows us to keep up to date with their latest and greatest without incurring the financial hit.  I have upgraded from a KDS/1>KDS/2> KDS/3>KDS/4 all for a reasonable price.  Unfortunately with Naim each time one wanted to upgrade you would have to sell off the previous player - and incur a substantial financial hit.

With that said it definitely sounds like the ND555 is quite the beast!

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by French Rooster
Harry posted:

I preferred the presentation of the CDS3 to the CD555, although it is impossible to fault the latter for detail retrieval. From what I have heard so far, admittedly second hand, does not indicate that the ND555 will be to the NDS what the CD555 was to the CDS3. Each to their own ears.

can you tell why?   because you were saying that your nds is sounding so good that it is difficult to imagine how it can sound better, sometimes ago i remember. 

Did you found the nds boring or very very far away from the nd555, when you heard the later ?

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by MangoMonkey
Foot tapper posted:

I found the ND555 to be simply in a different league to the NDS.  Everything, but everything is a step or two more lifelike and emotionally captivating with the ND555 after an NDS.

Best regards, FT

This seems to be very much in line with the amplifications, with folks talking of the 252 as 'boring'. Looks like there is balance to be had with

CDX2/XPS/282/Hicap/250 

CDS/252/300

555/552/500....

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by MangoMonkey

I don't know how long I'll be able to withstand the temptation of getting the ND555. The Kudos Titans are also on the list.

Here's what gives me pause:

I'm running the Roon with the Allo DigiOne player ($200), into a s/h Naim Dac ($1800) (into the preamp section of the 272 in the study). It adds back the bit of detail that was missing with the 272. It just sound great - certainly gives the NDS run for the money. The price difference is just too huge between the Allo DigiOne/NaimDac and the ND555. Talking to the naim designers, it didn't sound like there was any new magic in the ND555 either...

MangoMonkey posted:

I don't know how long I'll be able to withstand the temptation of getting the ND555. The Kudos Titans are also on the list.

Here's what gives me pause:

I'm running the Roon with the Allo DigiOne player ($200), into a s/h Naim Dac ($1800) (into the preamp section of the 272 in the study). It adds back the bit of detail that was missing with the 272. It just sound great - certainly gives the NDS run for the money. The price difference is just too huge between the Allo DigiOne/NaimDac and the ND555. Talking to the naim designers, it didn't sound like there was any new magic in the ND555 either...

The magic can be heard, just give it a listen and let your ears decide if it’s good enough....

French Rooster posted:
Harry posted:

can you tell why?   because you were saying that your nds is sounding so good that it is difficult to imagine how it can sound better, sometimes ago i remember. 

Did you found the nds boring or very very far away from the nd555, when you heard the later ?

I find my NDS to be the most complete and capable source I have ever heard. This is why I bought it. I have not heard the ND555. When I do, I anticipate that my expectations will shift to a new level. But I won't know until I've heard one at home.

MangoMonkey posted:

This seems to be very much in line with the amplifications, with folks talking of the 252 as 'boring'. Looks like there is balance to be had with

CDX2/XPS/282/Hicap/250 

CDS/252/300

555/552/500....

I've heard the 252 described thus. Personally, I've never found this to be the case. Along with it's logical partner the 300, I think it (on its own and with the 300) represents the best value for money in the Naim range. If one is used to the crash, bang wallop presentation of a 282/250 I suppose the 252 might come across as polite. Until you realise you're hearing how the music is arranged and played, as opposed to hearing how the HiFI is spraying it at you.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by J.N.
Foot tapper posted:

I'm not sure that the CDS3 to CD555 step is a helpful benchmark for the increment from NDS to ND555.

Best regards, FT

I am in absolute accord with your CDS3/CD555 comments and opinion Ian, so what you have to say about the ND555 is really, really annoying.

Thanks - possibly.

John.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by analogmusic
Harry posted:
MangoMonkey posted:

CDX2/XPS/282/Hicap/250 

CDS/252/300

555/552/500....

I've heard the 252 described thus. Personally, I've never found this to be the case. Along with it's logical partner the 300, I think it (on its own and with the 300) represents the best value for money in the Naim range. If one is used to the crash, bang wallop presentation of a 282/250 I suppose the 252 might come across as polite. Until you realise you're hearing how the music is arranged and played, as opposed to hearing how the HiFI is spraying it at you.

Can't agree with that. You've heard a poorly setup 282 based system ....

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Foot tapper

Sorry about that John.

We now live in a world of anxious trepidation.  Better not to listen to the ND555 really.  Or should you? 

Best regards, FT 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by FangfossFlyer
Alba1320 posted:
FangfossFlyer posted:

I attended a Naim evening at The Sound Org (York) last Thursday when the Naim reps demo’ d an NDS and the ND555. 

Now before I say anything it is worth noting that I have not yet found a digital source that I am happy with and the whole CD era just passed me by and I have never taken to streaming. I remain with my trusty analogue LP12 and Naim amps with no digital sources in my system, but…..

SNIP

Richard

p.s. After getting home I was still delighted with my system and I will be sticking with my trusty 30 year old LP12 for a while longer but if I was newly into Hi-Fi and did not have a collection of X thousand LPs things might be different.

Out of curiosity, which other 'notable' CD players/DACs/Streamers have you tried?

Like you, I have, as yet, been unable to find any digital (in may case strictly CD) replay that is as natural, convincing, enjoyable etc, as vinyl (though I've not heard ND555), but, unfortunately, having many more CDs than records, I do not have the 'luxury' of ignoring digital's existence.

(with apologies to Bert for going a wee bit OT)

Hi,  

In answer to your question: Naim; Linn; Rega and Meridian come to mind.

By the way,  in case anyone though that I was dismissing the NDS this was not my intention as my only experience of it was bassed on the short dem of three tracks and if anything I was dismissing the three tracks I heard.

All the best,

Richard

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Richieroo

Exciting times ..... it's great to see such a buzz...on this site Bert is doing a great job....!!!

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by engjoo
BPhotographer posted:

I hope that the new streamer is going to sound like a good CD player, not an improved version of the relatively dull NDS.
I find the NDS very monotonous, like a black box of which all music sounds "the same".
With a good CD Player, all music is much better defined and I get exactly what's going on on the disk, everything is much better: focus, highs, bass, 3D, etc.
The streamer has more "layers" and a seamless presentation but it's dull for a long time-listening (even a single full time [80min] CD).
The turntable and the CD player catch my attention, while I get disconnect from the music, many times, with the streamer (it's worse with classical music genre).

BP.

I have the same experience. The ~300 pounds Marantze CD6004 sounds better than my NDX.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by David O'Higgins
BPhotographer posted:

I hope that the new streamer is going to sound like a good CD player, not an improved version of the relatively dull NDS.
I find the NDS very monotonous, like a black box of which all music sounds "the same".
With a good CD Player, all music is much better defined and I get exactly what's going on on the disk, everything is much better: focus, highs, bass, 3D, etc.
The streamer has more "layers" and a seamless presentation but it's dull for a long time-listening (even a single full time [80min] CD).
The turntable and the CD player catch my attention, while I get disconnect from the music, many times, with the streamer (it's worse with classical music genre).

BP.

Funny how our experiences can be so completely different! 

I have never regretted swapping the CD555 for the NDS. I have listened to far more music than I ever would have done if I hadn’t made the change, and for me, the lastest NDS firmware update was the icing on the cake. Problem with sticking to CD555 is no access to 24bit, which has been a game changer for me.

My ND555 has been on order from the beginning and I retire next month, so I’m praying for the ‘perfect storm ‘

David

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by glevethan
analogmusic posted:
Harry posted:
MangoMonkey posted:

CDX2/XPS/282/Hicap/250 

CDS/252/300

555/552/500....

Can't agree with that. You've heard a poorly setup 282 based system ....

Agreed

I have had them all in house before ending up with the 552.

IMHO 282/250 or 282/300 is the sweet spot.  The perfect system.

I never was a fan of my 252 system

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Richieroo

Bert how hot does the new player get ...... my nds gets really quite hot....which surprised me...