What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 23 July 2018 by Haim Ronen
Jeff Anderson posted:

My first reaction early in the read is levels of courage beyond the imagination and the numbing futility of it all.  

Jeff, two that I can highly recommend on a similar topic but not involving the US forces:

Haim

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by Jeff Anderson
Haim Ronen posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

My first reaction early in the read is levels of courage beyond the imagination and the numbing futility of it all.  

Jeff, two that I can highly recommend on a similar topic but not involving the US forces:

Haim

Thanks Haim, I look foward to reading those.  Jeff A

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by Kevin-W

Got this last night at the launch party. I was going to wait for the paperback as it apparently has no new interviews etc but the author read out a few passages at the event and it sounded quite racy so I had to jump in!

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Matti Friedman  -  "Pumpkin Flowers: An Israeli Soldier's Story"  (2016)

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by DrMark

Just starting it tonight...

Posted on: 02 August 2018 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Jeff Anderson
Jeff Anderson posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Haim

Haim, thanks so very much for recommending "Pumpkin Flowers".  An amazing book, amazing writer and I like Matti Friedman as a human being if this is an accurate reflection (I have no reason to believe it is not).   I have placed a library hold on Friedman's book "The Aleppo Codex" and then I will follow with your second recommend "Beaufort".  Thanks again, I expect I will reread Pumpkin Flowers in the not too distant future.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Haim Ronen
Jeff Anderson posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Haim

Haim, thanks so very much for recommending "Pumpkin Flowers".  An amazing book, amazing writer and I like Matti Friedman as a human being if this is an accurate reflection (I have no reason to believe it is not).   I have placed a library hold on Friedman's book "The Aleppo Codex" and then I will follow with your second recommend "Beaufort".  Thanks again, I expect I will reread Pumpkin Flowers in the not too distant future.

Glad you liked it, Jeff. I served there too so I could easily relate to the story. Friedman has a unique clarity in his writing. Here is an article by him from the NY Times this week. I grew up a mile from the village he talks about. At the time, it was situated across the border in Jordan and I could only view it from a distance:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...em-palestinians.html

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Haim, thanks for the link, I look forward to reading the article and the others referenced there, as well.

I thought my experiences in basic training so many years ago were challenging, but your service experience was certainly more "real", and probably surreal, than what tiny bit I went through.  

If you have any other recommended readings regarding the complexities of the Middle East I would welcome receiving them (my email address is in my profile if preferred).  regards, Jeff A

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Matti Friedman  -  "The Aleppo Codex: A True Story of Obsession, Faith, and the Pursuit of an Ancient Bible"  (2012)

Posted on: 15 August 2018 by Ivo B

Just finished Rogue lawyer 

Now reading Blind descent 

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Ivo B

Now starting Shadow Divers - Robert Kurson 

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Haim Ronen
Ivo B posted:

Ivo,

After the book (which is quite fascinating) you can watch the documentary which was made later.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Clive B
Kevin-W posted:

Superb biography of the late great jazz pianist:

That's great to know - I ordered this a week or so ago. I'm really looking forward to it. 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Ivo B
Haim Ronen posted:
Ivo B posted:

Ivo,

After the book (which is quite fascinating) you can watch the documentary which was made later.

Haim,

Thank you about the hint! I will. 

Ivo

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/1...y-anthony-marra.html

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Tony2011
rodwsmith posted:

Reading the late great John Julius Norwich’s exquisitely written ‘biography’ of France*, with a small sherry (just to be contrary) in the late afternoon sun. Formidable!

*Nearly two years after having deposed my dossier for acquisition à la nationalité française, my convocation meeting is likely to be soon...

French history and Spanish wine. Are you toasting  the Treat of the Pyrenees or the Napoleonic invasion of northern Spain?

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Ron Leshem  -  "Beaufort"  (2009)

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Kevin-W

Newly-published survey of the history of electronic music; well written, with the author's typically idiosyncratic viewpoint.

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Bert Schurink

Finally getting to this one, so far a nice book, not reaching the quality of his first books....

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by mudwolf

I picked this up on vacation and read it in 5 days ,  author teaches a Dylan class at Harvard and has thoroughly researched from his classics in Latin and other poets bits and pieces Dylan puts in his songs.  Key to this was Dylan was in Latin club in Hibbing high.  I had an afternoon listing to my CDs of his more recent works.

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson

R. Gregory Nokes  -  "The Troubled Life Of Peter Burnett: Oregon Pioneer And First Governor Of California"  (2018)

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Florestan

Springtime for Snowflakes:  Michael Rectenwald

Social Justice and its Postmodern Parentage

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Mike Hughes
Kevin-W posted:

Newly-published survey of the history of electronic music; well written, with the author's typically idiosyncratic viewpoint.

It’s had mixed reviews. Would welcome your thoughts. 

I’ve just finished Retromania by Simon Reynolds, which is another side of that particular coin.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Kevin-W

Mike, the author is a mate, so I'm a bit biased. I enjoyed it immensely, and the narrative isn't the usual one, and Stubbs, a real enthusiast for the form, makes an eloquent case for underrated acts such as the Young Gods. Retromania is very good and if you liked that, you should like this.