What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Mike Hughes
Kevin-W posted:

Mike, the author is a mate, so I'm a bit biased. I enjoyed it immensely, and the narrative isn't the usual one, and Stubbs, a real enthusiast for the form, makes an eloquent case for underrated acts such as the Young Gods. Retromania is very good and if you liked that, you should like this.

Cheers Kevin. Much appreciated. 

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Bert Schurink

Just started - was long overdue..

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by mrCardoso

Jeff VanDerMeer - Annihilation.

Sci-Fi at its best...

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson

James Pogue  -  "Chosen Country: A Rebellion In The West" (2018)  About the 2016 militiamen/rancher/religious fundamentalist (god,guts and guns)  armed take-over of the Malhuer National Wildlife Refuge in southeastern Oregon protesting federal land management policies in the Wild West of the 21st century.  

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by michael1702

The King Of Sunlight: How William Lever Cleaned Up The World

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713jIoMO3UL.jpg

Lets see what all the fuss is about.

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Yardie by Victor Headley 

After reading about the film release of this book which is the directorial debut of the extremely and multi talented Idris Elba. I decided to read the book first and a chapter in it isn’t too bad. 

The film soundtrack looks very good too. 

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Kevin-W
TOBYJUG posted:

I struggled with this and couldn't manage to finish it.

I found the prose a bit turgid sometimes (I know it was written in Hebrew, and translated into English later); and many of the claims in the book dubious and sensationalist (some of the predictions were blood-curdling, and felt like a throwback to Gordon Rattray Taylor's 1960s/70s popular classics The Biological Time Bomb and The Doomsday Book).

While Harari's ideas are quite interesting as and in of themselves, they are luridly expressed and hobbled by a weird kind of political correctness; and there seem to be very few sources for his various assertions.

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Christopher_M

DJ Taylor - Orwell, A Life

I'm a huge fan of both.

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by TOBYJUG
Kevin-W posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

I struggled with this and couldn't manage to finish it.

I found the prose a bit turgid sometimes (I know it was written in Hebrew, and translated into English later); and many of the claims in the book dubious and sensationalist (some of the predictions were blood-curdling, and felt like a throwback to Gordon Rattray Taylor's 1960s/70s popular classics The Biological Time Bomb and The Doomsday Book).

While Harari's ideas are quite interesting as and in of themselves, they are luridly expressed and hobbled by a weird kind of political correctness; and there seem to be very few sources for his various assertions.

Interesting overview. This book was recommended by a family member who has led quite a considerable life getting to know people.   canvasing for liberals in the fifties. Political aid in the Middle East. Recently as a teacher for English in Italy.   He must have read those unbacked up assertions without source through his own knowledge of them. Bless him.

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by GregWPGibbs

I’ve been waiting what seems like an eternity for the latest instalment and , thus far, it hasn’t disappointed ??DC8B9B25-0F2C-4417-A4BC-8071D75CD1CC

Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Paper Plane
GregWPGibbs posted:

I’ve been waiting what seems like an eternity for the latest instalment and , thus far, it hasn’t disappointed ??DC8B9B25-0F2C-4417-A4BC-8071D75CD1CC

Mrs Plane awaits her copy from the River with baited breath...

steve

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Richard Dane

Arnhem by Anthony Beevor;

So far, about a quarter of the way through,  I'm not sure it adds much to Cornelius Ryan's earlier book on the same subject, A Bridge Too Far.  Beevor's writing style though makes for a relatively easy read. If you read and liked his previous books, you'll doubtless have little resistance to this one. 

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Haim Ronen

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson

The Fighters 

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Mike Hughes

Just finished Robert Gordon’s mostly excellent history of Stax. Totally fudges it at the end though as regards the finances. Clearly didn’t want to upset too many people. 

Posted on: 08 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Re-reading: Matti Friedman  -  "Pumpkin Flowers: An Israeli Soldier's Story"  (2016)

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Florestan

The Diversity Delusion: How Race and Gender Pandering Corrupt the University and Undermine Our Culture - Heather Mac Donald

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Kevin-W

That book probably won't get a favourable review in the Grauniad, Doug.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Kevin-W

A birthday present; So far, an utterly compelling biography of a great - if flawed - figure. All those rave reviews have been spot on!

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by ekfc63

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Florestan
Kevin-W posted:

That book probably won't get a favourable review in the Grauniad, Doug.

It goes without saying, that is, unless they ask someone who is smart, honest, thoughtful and one who has an inquisitive mind such as yours truly to do a review.  

BTW, I haven't noticed any liberal typos yet ;-)

Posted on: 26 October 2018 by nickpeacock

Richard Ford - Independence Day

The second in Ford’s Frank Bascombe trilogy (there’s a volume of shorter stories also). More nuanced than The Sportswriter, in this book the protagonist seems more awkward and less likeable than before. There’s still warmth and humanity, though. I’m not surprised this won a Pulitzer Prize. Highly recommended for lovers of great American fiction.

Posted on: 26 October 2018 by Haim Ronen

Second book by the outstanding Anthony Marra, highly recommended along his 'The Tsar of Love and Techno'.