What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 10 October 2010 by Alan Paterson
Started 'Hallam Foe' by Peter Jinks today.
Posted on: 11 October 2010 by Roy T
quote:
Originally posted by Chillkram:
quote:
Originally posted by Roy T:
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins.

PS I fancy his wife Lalla Ward aka Sarah Jane Winker

No, she was Romana. Sarah Jane was/is played by Elisabeth Sladen.

So sorry for the mess, looks like a bad case of premature posting to me Roll Eyes
Posted on: 12 October 2010 by JamieWednesday

Just finished this. Absolutely first class. Clearly getting on a bit now but this is the first of his I've read. Started a little slowly but it was just good old character building then all of a sudden you're halfway through, at sometime having dived into this maelstrom of events and it never stops being interesting. Excellent stuff.
Posted on: 12 October 2010 by mudwolf

Very funny book I read 20 years ago, gave it to a friend who hated the first 2 chapters and gave it away. I bought a new paperback to keep and read again. It's such a great absurd book with wild characters based in New Orleans.

He loaned me King's Tommyknockers and I couldn't get past 2 chapters but I gave it back to him.
Posted on: 13 October 2010 by Jon Myles
Haven't read all this post so someone else may have mentioned.
But am re-reading The Rest Is Noise.
Awesome - it's made me buy so many CDs of music I've never listened to before.
Opened my ears.
Posted on: 16 October 2010 by agent provocateur
Posted on: 21 October 2010 by JamieWednesday
Posted on: 21 October 2010 by Steeve

When the CIA helps the Russian mafia to rebuild..
Posted on: 21 October 2010 by Huwge
Posted on: 24 October 2010 by Voltaire

quote:
'I read Quilt with admiration - it's a work of remarkable imaginative energy.' FRANK KERMODE

'A book of mythological power. Quilt is unforgettable, like all those great pieces of fiction that are fed by our immemorial root system, the human dream of metamorphosis.' HELENE CIXOUS

'Facing the disarray and disorientation around his father's death, a man contends with the strange and haunting power of the house his parents once lived in.
He sets about the mundane yet exhausting process of sorting through the remnants of his fathers life clearing away years of accumulated objects, unearthing forgotten memories and the haunted realms of everyday life. At the same time, he embarks on an eccentric side-project. And as he grows increasingly obsessed with this new project, his grip on reality seems to slip.
Nicholas Royle challenges and experiments with literary form to forge a new mode of storytelling that is both playful and inquisitive. Tender, absorbing and at times shockingly funny, this extraordinary novel is both mystery and love story. It confronts the mad hand of grief and embraces the endless possibilities of language.'
Posted on: 24 October 2010 by winkyincanada
quote:
Originally posted by JamieWednesday:

I love that stuff. Banks' "Culture" universe is one of the greatest feats of literary imagination and construction ever achieved. Just my opinion, of course. Also loved The Wasp Factory.
Posted on: 25 October 2010 by mudwolf
Half way thru Confederacy of Dunces. He is an arrogant chump who creates chaos and seems to walk away. Most certainly a book that offends every group and class equally but with wonderful details and surprise twists. Sad the author died soon after, suicide ya'know.
Posted on: 26 October 2010 by Flettster

It's been a slog but I'm really getting into this book.

Cheers
Flettster
Posted on: 27 October 2010 by mikeeschman
just finished "Middlemarch" and took up "A Tale of Two Cities".
Posted on: 01 November 2010 by dav301
Posted on: 13 November 2010 by Haim Ronen
Posted on: 16 November 2010 by Blueknowz
This was recommended by my Brother in Law

Four Men Could Have Prevented the Great Depression
Posted on: 16 November 2010 by bazz
An account of the bloodthirsty 16th century sea battles for control of the Mediterranean. A tremendously interesting read.

Posted on: 21 November 2010 by Voltaire
Posted on: 22 November 2010 by bazz
Going through a war history phase at the moment. Can anyone recommend a good single volume on the American civil war?

Posted on: 23 November 2010 by mikeeschman
Stranger in a Strange Land
Posted on: 23 November 2010 by David Scott
Samuel Beckett, by Deirdre Bair. Re-reading it. Very good and does a much better job of integrating the childhood into the life than most biographies. I've read more Beckett than I had when I last read it, which makes it more rewarding.

My son (like me) is a big Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin fan. Can anyone recommend good, readable histories that cover naval life and naval battles of the time?
Posted on: 25 November 2010 by Haim Ronen

"On Saturday, 9 September, 1922, the victorious Turkish cavalry rode into Smyrna, the richest and most cosmopolitan city in the Ottoman Empire." "In the aftermath of the First World War, Greece invaded Turkey with the aim of restoring a Christian empire in Asia Minor with Smyrna at its heart. The Great Powers, including Britain, supported Greece's war on Turkey. But by 1922, the Greeks had been vanquished. Many feared that the newly-victorious Turkish army would now unleash a terrible fury on Smyrna's infidel inhabitants: conquering Islamic armies were traditionally granted three days of pillage following the capture of a resisting city." What happened over the next two weeks must rank as one of the most compelling human dramas of the twentieth century. Almost two million people were victims of a disaster of truly epic proportions."
Posted on: 26 November 2010 by nicnaim
Robert A Heinlein, great book. Re-read it recently.

Regards

Nic

quote:
Originally posted by mikeeschman:
Stranger in a Strange Land
Posted on: 27 November 2010 by mikeeschman