The Hugo of streaming?

Posted by: charlesphoto on 14 June 2016

Ha, knew that would get your attention!

I was using my UQ1 for streaming only purposes to the DAC V1 via a good s/pdif cable, but was never entirely happy with the set up, esp as the UQ was mostly going to waste. My budget wasn't much, and I didn't want to just move over to another streamer, esp as the asynch USB on the V1 is one of its main features, and supposedly better sounding than coax. I considered a Mac Mini, but then started reading over on the Computer Audiophile forum raves about the forthcoming Sonore microRendu. So last week I got in on the second batch and have had one up and running since Friday with an iFi power supply until I get a proper linear power supply for it (probably the upcoming Uptone LPS based on charging ultracapacitors). 

For those not in the know, the microRendu is about the size of a small flip phone, only connects ethernet in and USB out, and runs a small custom linux OS on an sd card that is accessed headless with a really simple and easy GUI. It was built with low noise hardware and the best sound throughput as the top priority. Took all of under five minutes to set up. It has several modes: Squeezelite, DLNA (regular and open home), NAA Roon/HQ player mode, airshare and I think maybe one other. I have mine running in upnp mode from my Vortexbox using the Lumin app as a controller. Currently also running Roon as a trial, but for what it costs and the hardware requirements its not for me at the moment. Cool app though, esp if you have a big collection.

From the moment I plugged the microRendu in I knew that it was game over. And it just keeps getting better as it burns in; I also added an Atlas Element USB cable that sounds really nice for the price. I think the likes of already fringe companies like Aurender and Auralic have got to be more than bit worried about what these even more fringe upstarts are doing. I'm not really the best person to be doing comparisons because I've never had the $ to change out gear like some do, or work my way up a heirarchy like Naim. But it really is extraordinarily impressive, made my old set up sound "broken" even (and I thought it sounded pretty damn good). I never thought I would have a hifi this good due to $. Lots of talk in hifi about "inky blackness" which I've never really experienced until now. Reverb esp - its like it just floats out into an empty void. A bit disconcerting at first actually! Also the balance is perfect - voices are right where they should be, piano sounds totally natural (the true test imo), nothing recesses or comes forward in any strange way. I was experiencing some fatigue before and now that's history. The only fatigue now is from staying up to late listening to music nonstop!! 

So, if you're looking at streaming options and have a dac (or plan on getting one), then you should check out the mR. Imo its' this years Hugo - a serious game changer, at least as far as where USB audio is at. For me it's all I'll ever need in that regard. And the UQ is now happy and wonderful sounding where it should be, in my basement office, utilizing all of its functions.   

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Brilliant

I am listening to the 'TP-LINK' stuff with the mR/Dac-V1 right now in my main system. The mR is currently powered by a TP 7/2. I borrowed an AQ Vodka ( 1.5m) ethernet cable to replace  the Startech CAT 6 to the mR. I found a DIY USB  that combines well the Vodka's (sharp) sound print in this setup, toning down just right, but maintaining the detail. The setup is sounding just about ideal for my tastes.

I plan to plug in the LPS-1 overnight and have a listen tomorrow.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by likesmusic

Chord now have their own streamer. It is called a Poly and mates nicely with a Mojo. It features a DLNA renderer, AirPlay, Bluetooth and has an SD card reader. Remote controllable from your phone. There is to be a similar device for the Hugo, so I'd hang about to listen to one of these before stumping up for the microRendu. The Chord streamers don't need fancy power supplies either - they're rechargeable battery powered (like the Hugo and Hugo TT). 

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Brilliant

The Poly-Mojo will probably be very good. I owned a Hugo for a while and liked it especially with classical music.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by nbpf
likesmusic posted:

Chord now have their own streamer. It is called a Poly and mates nicely with a Mojo. It features a DLNA renderer, AirPlay, Bluetooth and has an SD card reader. Remote controllable from your phone. There is to be a similar device for the Hugo, so I'd hang about to listen to one of these before stumping up for the microRendu. The Chord streamers don't need fancy power supplies either - they're rechargeable battery powered (like the Hugo and Hugo TT). 

Interesting! I have just finished assembling a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 500GB drive on mSATA extension in a Pimoroni pibow enclosure:

The Pi runs a UPnP server (MinimServer) and a renderer (upmpdcli) under Raspbian. One can plug it into a switch or router via ethernet cable to stream local data, TIDAL, Qobuz, internet radio etc. to LAN streamers. Or connect it to a USB DAC or to a USB bridge for USB streaming. It can also be connected it to a small battery pack and to a portable DAC / headphone amplifier for a flexible mobile replay system. Seems a bit like a home-built Poly! Best, nbpf

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Jan-Erik Nordoen

Very cool ! 

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by Mr Underhill
charlesphoto posted:

Well, I'm going even further down the CA rabbit hole and ordered myself a pair of fiber optic transmitters and a cable today. Will power the downstream one with either an ifi or a y splitter with the Uptone LPS and the upstream one plugs into the TV circuit. What's sold me on the FMC's is the reports that it pretty much renders upstream power issues with ethernet pretty much moot, and the only cable and linear power supplies one need worry about is the downstream FMC and into the streamer, dac, etc. Will still use my Meicord Opal ethernet cable form the FMC to the microRendu. Worth a punt for $75 all in (not counting power supply of course). 

Charles,

I have used FMCs and the EMO-70-HD. Both made a difference, but I preferred the latter. I have also read about a French box which those who have used it and reported preferred to these two options.

I power the 'inner' FMC with a LPSU and the outer with an IFI 9V.

......and, if you decide to go the FMC route there have been reports that using a 100Mb box is better that Gb with the mR. Couple of cited reasons: Gb is noisier; and, mR has 100Mb interface and the Gb FMC can overload it.

M

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by ChrisSU
Mr Underhill posted:
charlesphoto posted:

Well, I'm going even further down the CA rabbit hole and ordered myself a pair of fiber optic transmitters and a cable today. Will power the downstream one with either an ifi or a y splitter with the Uptone LPS and the upstream one plugs into the TV circuit. What's sold me on the FMC's is the reports that it pretty much renders upstream power issues with ethernet pretty much moot, and the only cable and linear power supplies one need worry about is the downstream FMC and into the streamer, dac, etc. Will still use my Meicord Opal ethernet cable form the FMC to the microRendu. Worth a punt for $75 all in (not counting power supply of course). 

Charles,

I have used FMCs and the EMO-70-HD. Both made a difference, but I preferred the latter. I have also read about a French box which those who have used it and reported preferred to these two options.

I power the 'inner' FMC with a LPSU and the outer with an IFI 9V.

......and, if you decide to go the FMC route there have been reports that using a 100Mb box is better that Gb with the mR. Couple of cited reasons: Gb is noisier; and, mR has 100Mb interface and the Gb FMC can overload it.

M

I understood that the TPLink media converters had to be chosen to match the device they were attached to. So a Naim streamer, for example, which runs 100Mb, would need a 100Mb converter. Not sure if this would also apply to the mR? 

My own LAN is all 100MB optical (but not TPLink) and works fine with 10/100 and GB devices.

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by charlesphoto

I ordered the 10/100 single cable. 

nbpf posted:

Interesting! I have just finished assembling a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 500GB drive on mSATA extension in a Pimoroni pibow enclosure:

I read a review the other day where the persons compare a microRendu to a series of boxes, including a R Pi3. Although the mR was the top fidelity choice he REALLY enjoyed the Pi, which was the top VFM choice, and especially the fact that he had built it.

M

charlesphoto posted:

I ordered the 10/100 single cable. 

That's what I got.

The other isolator is the Etalon. Post from CA:

http://www.computeraudiophile....ex13.html#post598020

M

Mr Underhill posted:
nbpf posted:

I read a review the other day where the persons compare a microRendu to a series of boxes, including a R Pi3. Although the mR was the top fidelity choice he REALLY enjoyed the Pi, which was the top VFM choice, and especially the fact that he had built it.

M

Yes, the Pi is a lot of fun! I have configured it as an access point. Thus, even if it is not connected to a LAN via cable, one can stream to mobile devices wirelessly or control the renderer with a smartphone or tablet. Nice for listening on the go. I'll give it to my wife when she goes on a sky holiday next week. Let's see how she comes along with it. I have not done any serious testing but connected to the Naim DAC through a Meridian Explorer via optical sounds good to me. Best, nbpf 

Jan-Erik Nordoen posted:

Very cool ! 

Yep, a small open core, so to say. With internet radio, streaming services, MinimServer and all the flexibility of an open system but without a CD drive and without a power supply. One can set it up in about one hour. If one does not use it anymore, one can always make an image of the micro SD card and give the Pi to a friend!

Posted on: 10 January 2017 by GregW
charlesphoto posted:

I started with the ifi 9v (now used for charging the LPS-1) then the HDPLEX (now used for powering various other things). Both were good, but the Uptone just plays on another level altogether. 

Just ordered mine:-)  Estimated shipping at the end of the month. Like yours I'll charge it via the iFi 9v. Based on the CA thread short cables seem to be strongly recommended so I also ordered the USD 23 cable you linked to on CA. 

Posted on: 12 January 2017 by likesmusic
nbpf posted:
likesmusic posted:

The Pi runs a UPnP server (MinimServer) and a renderer (upmpdcli) under Raspbian. One can plug it into a switch or router via ethernet cable to stream local data, TIDAL, Qobuz, internet radio etc. to LAN streamers. Or connect it to a USB DAC or to a USB bridge for USB streaming. It can also be connected it to a small battery pack and to a portable DAC / headphone amplifier for a flexible mobile replay system. Seems a bit like a home-built Poly! Best, nbpf

Nice work nbpf!

Would also make sense for some people to incorporate a DAC with say a HifiBerry DAC+ or (hopefully) beef up the s/pdif output with a HifiBerry Digi+.

Posted on: 12 January 2017 by nbpf
likesmusic posted:
nbpf posted:
likesmusic posted:

Nice work nbpf!

Would also make sense for some people to incorporate a DAC with say a HifiBerry DAC+ or (hopefully) beef up the s/pdif output with a HifiBerry Digi+.

Thanks!

Yes, that could make a lot of sense. A problem with the Pi extensions is that of finding suitable enclosures. I had to add three layers to the standard Pimoroni enclosure to accomodate the mSATA extension. With a HifiBerry on the top of that, the Pi would have grown to a small tower. A perhaps better alternative to the mSATA approach would have been to put the Pi and a PiDrive in a PiDrive enclosure, see http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/enclosure-square-6x6/. A great feature of the Pi (or, more precisely, of Raspbian) is how easy installation, setup and backup actually are. Installing and setting up MinimServer is just a pleasure, the documentation is simply perfect. Once the system is up and running, one can easily make an image of the whole micro SD card on another medium. This is, for peace of mind, comparability of setups and security just unbeatable. I think that it makes sense to setup a Pi that is meant to be used as a small music server as an access point. Best, nbpf 

Posted on: 12 January 2017 by Brilliant
Mr Underhill posted:

Thx Chaps,

Brilliant I'll look forward to your thoughts. As it happens I am doing some other changes where I could use the SBooster, so an LPS1 is not off the cards.

M

The LPS-1 comes across as a very natural partner to the mR and enhances its attributes! After fidgeting with the setup,  I have it performing better than I expected it to. For instance I never thought that 16/44.1 FLAC files could provide a soundscape 'image' as good as I am getting (I have a well matched L/R DIY system, so that obviously is an advantage).

I powered the LPS-1 all night and had a listen on and off for most of the day!

Observations:

1. With the LPS-1, the sound started out quite thin but improved over several hours of play during the course of the day.
2. With the LPS-1, the details and focus are improved such that the sound source is more discernible, and instruments sound more real. This provides a more inviting listen.

3. The  9V LPS (please see below) powering the LPS-1 seems to give more 'attack & authority' than their Mean Well 7.5V/2.9A, The 9V LPS however is spec'd at 1.3 amps which is less than the  9V/2A specified for the LPS-1 - so not recommended for this purpose!

4. The power sockets (input & output) on the LPS-1 are marked but are identical types 2.1mm x 5.5mm - I put a tape marker on the input (cable & socket) as a better visual aid so as not to mix things up.

Background:

Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS-1 (replaces a Teddy Pardo LPS. The TP originally a 5/3, modified to 7 Vdc out).

Ordered in November, based on various web reviews (received in December) !

Also ordered: an LPS with two 9 VDC outputs from Asia via the common site. The intention was to use this on both FMCs.

Without the FMC isolation, I find that the hologram (or bloom) around the individual instruments collapses!

setup:

Desktop PC, Win 7, J. River MC 22 \CAT 6\switch\Fiber optic loop\AQ Vodka\mR + LPS-1 with Mean Well 7.5V/2.9A\DIY USB (non std)\DAC-V1 into my main system (mostly DIY)

Fiber optic 'isolator' loop

CAT 6\FMC with  smps\Tripp Lite N506-01M cable\FMC powered by the (9V LPS\

switch : old style, non desktop TL-1008G powered by the 9V iFi Power (a good match)

FMCs: 2 x TP-Link MC-110CS

9V LPS: 30 VA, 2 x 9VDC out, based on the (Linear Technology) LT1083 regulator

Posted on: 12 January 2017 by Mr Underhill

Thx Brilliant,

I would expect it to best the IFI 9V so it is good to read that you prefer it to your Teddy Pardo PSU; makes me consider the LPS1 even more seriously, damn.

Your DIY USB, are you separating the power from the audio signal?

M

Posted on: 12 January 2017 by Brilliant

Yes - DIY USB separates the data lines -in any case the +5 is NC at both ends, only ground is used. LPS-1 is really settling in now. They pulled it off!

Posted on: 14 January 2017 by Brilliant
Brilliant posted:
Mr Underhill posted:

Thx Chaps,

Brilliant I'll look forward to your thoughts. As it happens I am doing some other changes where I could use the SBooster, so an LPS1 is not off the cards.

M

setup:

Desktop PC, Win 7, J. River MC 22 \CAT 6\switch\Fiber optic loop\AQ Vodka\mR + LPS-1 with Mean Well 7.5V/2.9A\DIY USB (non std)\DAC-V1 into my main system (mostly DIY)

I have been switching between the AQ Vodka, standard CAT 5 and 6 - all short runs of 1.5 m (100mbps). Using some familiar recordings, the AQ Vodka and CAT 5 allow good sonic integration of piano notes/tones over the frequency band, i.e. more convincing that they are of the same instrument. The CAT 5/6 possibly allowing a bit more excitement and interest in the music overall (transients?). As for clarity e.g. delineation of individual voices in a choir against a 'quiet' background, the CAT 6/Vodka win.

tone: 5/vodka

clarity: 6/vodka

excitement: 5/6

Posted on: 14 January 2017 by charlesphoto

he FMC's arrived this afternoon - took about three minutes to set up (an extra two because I'm fussy about cables) and it stays. For lack of a better description, it seems to remove that final digital 'bloom.' So far only listening in a family situation but the music seems more real, more alive. For now powering with an ifi 5V plugged into a Wiremold with a couple other ifi's into it's own dedicated circuit. The other FMC is plugged into   the separate TV circuit. Using a Meicord Opal ethernet cable from the FMC to the microRendu. I tried powering with a y cable from the Uptone but didn't like it - probably a matter of robbing from the rendu to pay the FMC. Maybe with  custom cable. I have an HDPLEX I'd like to sell, but will try it before to see if it makes a difference that's worth it. Will also try powering the downstream FMC with a spare ifi as well to see if any change. Really thinking this is the end game though. Fabulous sound! 

Posted on: 14 January 2017 by Brilliant

^ Congrats!

My guess is iFi power is all you need for the FMCs. Enjoy the music.

Posted on: 16 January 2017 by charlesphoto
Brilliant posted:

^ Congrats!

Well of course I had to try the HDPLEX ps on the upstream FMC - better than the ifi for sure. Also running it at 9v vs 5v sounds better, plus an ifi on the downstream FMC sounds a squeak better too. Whew! Think I'm done with the whole streaming portion. A DAC V1/NAP110/Rega RX3 system has no business sounding this good! 

I think FMC's are a must before messing about with boutique cable's, servers, switches, etc. It really did make such a huge difference that I wish I had started with them first as a foundation. The closest I've heard my system sounding what it's like to listen to original tape off a soundboard. Listening to remastered Hunky Dory today and with eyes closed it was like Bowie and crew were playing int he studio on the other side of the sound room window. Great stuff!

Now for a bigger amp.... someday - my 110 seems to do 80% of what needs to be done. 

Posted on: 16 January 2017 by Bart
nbpf posted:
likesmusic posted:

I'd do this, but have read that the basic 3 B board does not galvanically isolate the USB.  This is why people go for the HifiBerry board; galvanically isolated USB, and optical toslink.

I like the enclosure!

Posted on: 17 January 2017 by charlesphoto

FYI out of curiosity moved the FMC units to the office downstairs between the switch and the Unitiqute (v1) which is fed by Cat 6> FMC's> AQ Cinnamon, both units powered by ifi ipowers, though on the same noisy office circuit (computers, printers, etc you name it). Repeat of the gains on the main rig upstairs, though not quite as distinctive  due to the less refined power/gear as upstairs. But the gain is enough that the units will stay in place in the office (where I actually listen more than the main setup) and a second set is on order. I highly suggest this tweak first, esp with all the talk about the Core, cables, etc. This should come first imo. 

Posted on: 18 January 2017 by Mr Underhill
Brilliant posted:

^ Congrats!

Not the advice I have received on CA, there people use LPSU, and some have had excellent results with an LPS1. However, the issue with the LPS1 is that it also acts as a ground leakage loop blocker, a la Swenson, and so may well be more than just the power uplift.

In my case I used an EMO-70-HD .....although I feel I ought to get another 9V LPSU and do a direct comparison, rather than one I did with the IFI 9V.

M