What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by ewemon

That section approx 13 minutes in on Pt II up to about 21 minutes is some of the most melodic beautiful music IMHO every written. 

Everytime I listen to it it gets me emotionally.

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Kevin-W

On CD. As the lady herself might say, "Don' need no reason."

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Jeroen20

Wayne Shorter - Etcetera

Allmusic.com:

Recorded in 1965 but not released until 1980, Et Cetera holds its own against the flurry of albums Wayne Shorter released during the mid-'60s, a time when he was at the peak of his powers. It is hard to imagine why Blue Note might have chosen to shelve the album, as it shows Shorter in a very favorable light with an incredibly responsive rhythm section performing four of his originals and a cover of Gil Evans' "Barracudas." The low-key nature of the album as a whole, especially the title track, might have contributed to Blue Note's lack of attention, but there are definitely gems here, especially the closing track, "Indian Song." At times the rest of the album seems like a warm-up for that amazing tune, where Shorter swirls around in a hypnotizing dance with Herbie Hancock's piano, grounded by the nocturnal bass of Cecil McBee and the airy structure of Joe Chambers' drumming. The short, repetitive themes and passionate, soulful playing echo John Coltrane, but this quartet has its own flavor, and the perfect, intricate web they weave here helps pull the whole session up to a higher level.

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by MDS

This was the album that introduced me to Beth Nielsen Chapman's music and the first one I bought. I've bought some more of her albums since but this one remains my favourite.  

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by dav301

On CD:-

Nicola Benedetti - Fantasie

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by seakayaker

Now Playing.......

Trygve Seim - Rumi Songs

Trygve Seim - Rumi Songs

Trygve Seim (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone), Tora Augestad (vocal), Frode Haltli (accordion), and Svante Henryson (violoncello)

Streaming on TIDAL......   Giving this album a spin, I have enjoyed Trygve saxophone on other albums and also enjoy Rumi's poetry, and now seeing when the two are merged what the results will be.......... 

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Nick Lees

The Heartwood Institute - Secret Rites

The new album of hauntological electronica. A mere £4!

Bandcamp Link

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Paper Plane

Original vinyl

Why? I wanted something reliable.

steve

Having enjoyed one Beth Nielsen Chapman album I thought I'd enjoy another.

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Redkev
MDS posted:

This was the album that introduced me to Beth Nielsen Chapman's music and the first one I bought. I've bought some more of her albums since but this one remains my favourite.  

Hi MDS

Beth has got a new album out on 9th February which you can order on the river, I pre-ordered mine the other day.

Redkev posted:
MDS posted:

Hi MDS

Beth has got a new album out on 9th February which you can order on the river, I pre-ordered mine the other day.

Thanks, Redkev. Yes, I spotted that one Amazon and will be pre-ordering mine too. M 

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by nigelb
MDS posted:

I listened to Beth's Sand and Water album quite some time ago on Tidal and thought it rather nice if not exceptional. Seeing this album mentioned again here I thought I would give it another listen and am enjoying so much more the second time around. Weird.

Thanks for the prompt Mike.

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Tony2011

1970 - Uk first pressing...

Tony2011 posted:

God I don't think I have listened to this since the 70's that's if I still have a copy.

ewemon posted:
Tony2011 posted:

God I don't think I have listened to this since the 70's that's if I still have a copy.

Yes, Ewe, the interaction between Coryell and Cobham is particularly enjoyable. One I grew up listening to and on its annual spin. 

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by ALANP

This afternoons playlist

The Beatles - Let it Be Naked

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live From Madison Sq Garden

The Kinks - The Ultimate Collection    - cd2 b sides

Evening

The Rolling Stones - Through the Past Darkly   SACD

Paul Carrack - Groovin

Norah Jones - Not Too Late

Mark Knopfler - Wag the Dog

Grant Green - Green Street

Alan

1976 - UK first pressing...

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

"Concord persuaded a reigning giant of the piano to record at Maybeck's Yamaha keyboard -- and the result is one of the most musical, and certainly one of the most enjoyable, concerts in the whole series. Recorded closely enough so that you can hear him grunting along with the music, Hank Jones gives full vent to his melodic gifts in a brace of pop and jazz standards from several decades, never staying on any of them for more than five minutes, and rarely falling back on the usual pianistic bop patterns."

1978 - UK first pressing...

Prompted by Ewe's La Scala play earlier on...

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

Another Mayebck Recital Hall spinning all week in the frigid car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys5fcXhRfLE

Tony2011 posted:

1978 - UK first pressing...

Prompted by Ewe's La Scala play earlier on...

Fine choice Tony.

Now Playing.......

Boz Scaggs - Middle Man

Boz Scaggs - Middle Man

Streaming on TIDAL........   Request from the missus for some Boz Scaggs and happy to oblige!

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://i.scdn.co/image/d9bb610836032dd59727270c7d8889b86a822ee4

Posted on: 03 January 2018 by TOBYJUG

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/1308058434_the-glove-2006-blue-sunshine-deluxe-edition-1.jpeg

Not too sure where or how I got recommended this album ? Perhaps here. But a stormer with rob from the cure and steve from the banshees.

low key indieness with the grimiest DMs. 

Still very classy 

Eno would be proud 

Now Playing.......

Boz Scaggs - The Essential Boz Scaggs

Boz Scagga - The Essential Boz Scaggs

Streaming on TIDAL...... Request for more Boz, so serving up some more Boz........