ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Timo
Wish Naim had not bothered and had concentrated on the sound quality imo.

I guess a top-end streamer without screen wouldn't sell well in the wider market -- looks possibly a bit stingy...

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Gazza

I agree it’s a marketing necessity......but I know what I would choose if I could.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Obsydian

Interesting regards the screen off, as something promised for sometime, I personally do not use the Nova screen (it still freezes) or volume wheel, but agree they do make a nice design.

Surely it would have been better to at least give an auto off after a few secs options, as a balance for those who do and do not want it.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Harry

The screen looks good. But past setting up, we'll never see it. I haven't checked but I expect it can be disabled or partially so.

Clive. It's here. You're next.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Timmo1341

Given absence of VU meters and the like on Naim power amps and any form of display on the MuSo range, I cant really understand the need for screens of any description on any of the streamers. I can’t imagine any potential buyer not having an iPad or android equivant for set up and diagnostic purposes. A ‘pretty’ screen just doesn’t seem to fit with the traditional Naim ethos.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by ChrisSU
Harry posted:

The screen looks good. But past setting up, we'll never see it. I haven't checked but I expect it can be disabled or partially so.

It can’t be disabled on the new Unitis, so I would guess the new ND streamers will be the same. I have an Atom near the TV, and the screen can be annoyingly distracting. 

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by hungryhalibut

You can turn off the screen on the 555, and there is even a setting for Naim green. I’d imagine that the NDX2 would be the same, but don’t know for sure. 

Well that’s a step in the right direction! Maybe Naim heard the complaints from Uniti owners and reacted. 

Initial impression is of space, separation, detail, realism but a rather sharp top end. 

I have 25 things to today, all important and annoying.  I'll be on the sofa this evening and I'll bring my ears.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by FangfossFlyer

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the purpose of the coloured screen when the device is controlled by a remote? Is it just to display what track you are playing sort of a bit like looking at an LP sleeve?

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Isnt it so that you don’t have to be totally dependent on a remote, and can still select music if it fails? (Possibly alsoto provide control menus for basic setting up maybe before a remote can be enabled, or troubleshoot when something wrong?) of course, it doesn’t need to be coloured for tgat, that’s just to appear modern and with the times - the important thing is being able to be turned off when not wanted.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Mike-B
FangfossFlyer posted:

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the purpose of the coloured screen when the device is controlled by a remote? Is it just to display what track you are playing sort of a bit like looking at an LP sleeve?

I doubt many ND555 or NDX2 will be controlled by the remote,  most all will be controlled by the Naim app on a iPad/Android tablet or phone.   Album art & all the whats playing displays & info plus Rovi booklet are on that.   Also keep in mind the ND5xs2 has no screen & the Naim app will be almost obligatory.  

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Bart

I agree that a screen is pretty much superfluous, but nevertheless do sometimes select music from the front panel display of my NDS.  Every once in a while I'll be standing over at the Fraim and just use the front panel buttons to navigate to what I want to hear next. . . . because my iPhone is 30 feet away. Lazy, I know!

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Bert Schurink
Richieroo posted:

Bert is it possible - to switch the colour display off when the ND555 is playing???

When you push the display button I haven't seen that switching off but just the buttons. I will soon dig in a bit deeper. But if possible not so obvious how to switch off.

Harry posted:

Initial impression is of space, separation, detail, realism but a rather sharp top end. 

I have 25 things to today, all important and annoying.  I'll be on the sofa this evening and I'll bring my ears.

I also see the top end as the only part which is a bit sharp. I hope it will still get a bit smoother through the further burn in. If not that would be for me the only critical point on the performance of the machine.

Mike-B posted:
FangfossFlyer posted:

I doubt many ND555 or NDX2 will be controlled by the remote,  most all will be controlled by the Naim app on a iPad/Android tablet or phone.   Album art & all the whats playing displays & info plus Rovi booklet are on that.   Also keep in mind the ND5xs2 has no screen & the Naim app will be almost obligatory.  

It's possible to control through the remote - but at the same time not something you would do. While I do use the remote quite often for the following functions: volume, pause, skip a song and mute. I only now use the Ipad for the selection of the album. The est is remote controlled.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Michael

Looking forward to my home dem of the ND555 tomorrow courtesy of Signals. I am certain that it will outclass my NDX, but what I am really interested in is comparing it to my CD555. I fear it will be an expensive experience!!!!

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Richieroo

Hi Burt ......... would you say the top end is 'sharper' than the NDS...........does it emphasize vocal sibilence ..... 

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Dustysox

Hi

Our of interest what firmware is the ND555 running?

The HDX had a video out that could be hooked up to the telly. That was cool.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

I actually wish there was a screen on my Qb.   Quite often I’ll be listening to Jazz FM or Paradise and not have the iPad with me and would like to know what is playing. 

Best regards,

Lindsay

Richieroo posted:

Hi Burt ......... would you say the top end is 'sharper' than the NDS...........does it emphasize vocal sibilence ..... 

Yes would say so - the NDS rounds more off. But I also remember that at the beginning the NDS also sounded a bit harsh to me at the top end, so I will be interested to see how it develops when the machine is running a bit longer. 

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Gazza

Probably needs that extra power supply to blossom????

Mike-B posted:
FangfossFlyer posted:

Again, if they are like the Unitis, the app will be obligatory as there is no UPnP control at all via the remote. That doesn’t bother me, but it does seem at odds with the addition of a fancy colour screen and Zigbee remote.

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Richieroo

Thanks for clarifying that Burt ......... I think you are right - it will take time to settle. Leave it playing 24/7 for a couple of weeks. keep us posted........thanks so much for insightful comments - regarding your Naim journey ... cheers