What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 09 September 2018 by thebigfredc

I watched it again last year and the tension is still terrific. My favourite part of Deliverance is the dualing banjo/guitar scene near the beginning.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Kevin-W

Superb doc on the great singer (and, the film points out, a brilliant pianist too) which proves a rather melancholy experience. A thoroughly decent man, he was often treated abominably.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Michael Giggs

Black Hawk Down. A classic one. 

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by rackkit

I was ready...

Really enjoyed this one!

Didn’t enjoy the Right surround speaker suddenly not working though. Traced it to a cable fault.

Should be sorted by the weekend ready for Blade Runner 2049. 

Posted on: 13 September 2018 by Kevin-W

Superb 2012 doc about the Stones, covering the "early" (ie pre-1982) years. It's actually more of a collage than a documentary (there's no narrator) but it's really well edited and some of the archive footage is amazing. A must for serious Stones fans.

Posted on: 13 September 2018 by Kevin-W

Another day, another music doc. This one's got two strands: it's partly a 'making of' documentary about the acclaimed Broadway show of the same name; and partly a biography of the great man - Fela Kuti - himself> Like the Stones one above, this film has some great footage and plenty of first hand testimony, especially from Fela and his immediate (and large) family, as well as collaborators such as Tony Allen.

Posted on: 13 September 2018 by GregWPGibbs

Two VERY different movies?? I’m not sure what it says about me that I much preferred the second?34731523-2CED-4A2D-A2D6-FB7FDF9F94F68B233325-C6C7-4AE6-A34F-7E59FFD439DB

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by blythe

I had a couple of friends staying on Sunday night.

Neither of them had seen the film "Crash", so I decided to show them it, one of my all time favourite films.

By the end, they couldn't believe they'd previously never heard of the film!

Crash - 2005; produced, directed, and co-written by Paul Haggis.

Brilliant. 

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by james n
blythe posted:

Neither of them had seen the film "Crash", so I decided to show them it, one of my all time favourite films.

Brilliant. 

Great film. 

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by Dalamtian

Just returned from a trip to Rome so I’m watching Angels and Demons as I like a conspiracy.

Nick

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by MDS
james n posted:
blythe posted:

Brilliant. 

Great film. 

I've never seen it. Might give it a go.

M

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by kevin J Carden
Tony2011 posted:

Brilliant movie. Modern day Shakespeare. 

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson

"Band 0f Brothers"  (2002)  disc 1 of 6  Six part HBO mini-series of D-Day.  Hope to watch the other 5 discs over the next week.

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by MDS
Jeff Anderson posted:

"Band 0f Brothers"  (2002)  disc 1 of 6  Six part HBO mini-series of D-Day.  Hope to watch the other 5 discs over the next week.

Excellent series. I much preferred it to the later Pacific series which apparently cost more money to make.

The use of testimony of some of the participants was used most skilfully.  It often left me with a lump in my throat.

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by Richard Dane
Jeff Anderson posted:

What a treat you have ahead of you.  A brilliant series that really does make you feel like you're sitting on the shoulder of Easy Company as they progress from training in the US, through to D-Day, Holland, the Ardennes, and finally Germany. It is up there with that other great series of "brothers" thrust together in war, Das Boot.

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by Chunky
Richard Dane posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

What a treat you have ahead of you.  A brilliant series that really does make you feel like you're sitting on the shoulder of Easy Company as they progress from training in the US, through to D-Day, Holland, the Ardennes, and finally Germany. It is up there with that other great series of "brothers" thrust together in war, Das Boot.

Yes, this is a superb box set.  I agree with the comments and the series really brings home the true horrors of war.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Kiwi cat

Days of heaven-Terence Malick

A truely beautiful film with great cinematography 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by blythe
MDS posted:
james n posted:
blythe posted:

Brilliant. 

Great film. 

M

Do let us know what you thought once you've seen it :-)
(It's a little slow to start but all makes sense !)

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson

"Band Of Brothers" (2002)  disc 2 episode 3-4 now in house

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by MDS
Jeff Anderson posted:

Think you've prompted me to dig it out and give it another viewing myself, Jeff.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by MDS
blythe posted:
MDS posted:
james n posted:
blythe posted:

Brilliant. 

Great film. 

M

Do let us know what you thought once you've seen it :-)
(It's a little slow to start but all makes sense !)

Will do, blythe. It's on order from the big river. 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Bert Schurink

Working my way through, still DVD’s i bought when living in Hong Kong 10 years ago...

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson
MDS posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

Think you've prompted me to dig it out and give it another viewing myself, Jeff.

It is a very good series.  Episode 1 reminded me very much  of my initial 8 weeks basic training in late 1971.  The world looks very different when you are crawling on your stomach under barbed wire with automatic weapon fire passing over your head.  But I had it easy overall as my next assignment was a desk job near Washington DC for the remainder of my two years (drafted service time).  While in DC I came-up on orders for Germany but my commanding officer had the orders changed.

Episode 2 was challenging to watch (and after Beaufort a couple weeks ago).  And that young lieutenant was quiet amazing in his clear thinking and logic in that massive chaos.  The killing is obviously reprehensible, but I have nothing but complete respect for people who voluntarily or involuntarily find themselves in that situation and do what is required.  Courage outweighs arm-chair opinions every time.  Not sure I would have had it and fortunate to not have found out.

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by blythe
Bert Schurink posted:

Working my way through, still DVD’s i bought when living in Hong Kong 10 years ago...

I simply LOVED the first series but somehow lost interest by half way through the 2nd. Possibly because I kept on missing episodes.

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Bert Schurink
blythe posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

I simply LOVED the first series but somehow lost interest by half way through the 2nd. Possibly because I kept on missing episodes.

It's a strange kind of series with similar types of plot elements in the different series. And I have to say season five was a bit different from the other ones in storyline and the amount of known characters dying. Looking forward to season 6.