Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson

"Band of Brothers" (2002)  discs 5 and 6 are in house

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Jeff Anderson
Jeff Anderson posted:

Completed episodes 9 and 10 and the summary 6th disc as well this early morning.  A powerful series, well produced and well acted.  It is a privilege to be aware of all the members of Easy Company but it is especially noteworthy for me to now be aware of Maj Dick Martin. I have been fortunate to know several men of his apparent character in my lifetime.  They are special.  Anyone with a remote interest in the topic should consider watching this.  I believe it was a post by Happy Listener last month that caught my attention, my thanks.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Haim Ronen

biographical drama film about American psychologist William Moulton Marston, who created the fictional character Wonder Woman.

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by Haim Ronen

MOLLY'S GAME is based on the true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade before being arrested in the middle of the night by 17 FBI agents wielding automatic weapons. Her players included Hollywood royalty, sports stars, business titans and finally, unbeknownst to her, the Russian mob. Her only ally was her criminal defense lawyer Charlie Jaffey, who learned that there was much more to Molly than the tabloids led us to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4UPet8Nyc

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Hold the Dark on Netflix  a dark and violent story of revenge set in the wilds of Alaska certainly not for the squeamish and well worth a watch. 

Posted on: 29 September 2018 by Drikus

Uncompressed Blu-ray rip with MakeMKV and rewrapped to MP4 with Subler so I could watch it on my Apple TV 4K. Brilliant movie!

Does anyone know the song/artist in the bathhouse scene?

Posted on: 29 September 2018 by Bert Schurink

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Kevin-W

From 1979, an influential cult classic. Low budget, fast, furious, violent, slightly ropey acting and dialogue, but brilliantly directed and edited.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by JamieWednesday

Watched this last night having not been able to make it at cinema.

It's quite entertaining, not as good as Rogue One in standalone series IMO.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Richard Dane

I watched Solo last week.  I'd basically agree with Jamie on this one; fairly entertaining but not up to the standard of Rogue One. Not one I'll be watching again unless I have to do so.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Drikus

First 5 min into Solo I thought, what crap is this but I kept watching and liked it later on but same conclusion here, entertaining but not up to the standard of Rogue One.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Drikus

Stumbled upon this on Amazon Prime. Good movie from back in the day when he was in the upper echelon of action hero stardom together with Stallone and Arnie.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by MDS
Drikus posted:

Stumbled upon this on Amazon Prime. Good movie from back in the day when he was in the upper echelon of action hero stardom together with Stallone and Arnie.

Tommy Lee-Jones was a good villain in that. 

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by ewemon
Yetizone posted:

Wind River: Netflix. 

A meditative slow burn of a movie. Atmospheric, mournful, unpredictable and eerily uncomfortable. I thought this tight, low budget movie utterly compelling. Hard going in places but worth the commitment. Missed on initial cinema release, but I’m very glad I caught up with it via streaming. Highly recommended.

Watched it the other evening and loved it.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Yetizone

Hold The Dark - via Netflix. 

I’m a fan of Jeremy Saulnier’s last two movies as they were original and distinctive, so was looking forward to this Netflix only release. 

A tense, meditative and unpredictable movie. Not quite as tight (nor quite as good really) as the previous Green Room, relying more on brooding atmosphere than being an out and out adrenaline fuelled thriller (as per GR). Superb cinematography. Brutal in places. Powerful symbolism. All set in a remote inhospitable landscape, combine to create a rather eery environment to spend two hours. 

Recommended.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by simon, but not simple

A Walk Among the Tombstones poster.jpg

A solid crime drama with Neeson on autopilot playing to type.

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by JamieWednesday

Pretty but rather dull and inconsequential.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by thebigfredc
ewemon posted:
Yetizone posted:

Wind River: Netflix. 

A meditative slow burn of a movie. Atmospheric, mournful, unpredictable and eerily uncomfortable. I thought this tight, low budget movie utterly compelling. Hard going in places but worth the commitment. Missed on initial cinema release, but I’m very glad I caught up with it via streaming. Highly recommended.

Watched it the other evening and loved it.

Agreed and easily my favourite film of 2017.

Other good 'uns set in the US are Hell or High-water (Jeff Bridges) and, a little bit more of an acquired taste perhaps, Nocternal Animlas (Jake Gyllenhall).

Ray

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by EJS

Fahrenheit 451

Burning books is bad... but I found the brief scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade infinitely more powerful (and fun to watch in a way only Spielberg at his best could/can combine) than this serious dystopian thriller full of hamfisted symbolism.

cheers

EJ

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVZGyTdk_BY

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by rackkit
Jeff Anderson posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

Completed episodes 9 and 10 and the summary 6th disc as well this early morning.  A powerful series, well produced and well acted.  It is a privilege to be aware of all the members of Easy Company but it is especially noteworthy for me to now be aware of Maj Dick Martin. I have been fortunate to know several men of his apparent character in my lifetime.  They are special.  Anyone with a remote interest in the topic should consider watching this.  I believe it was a post by Happy Listener last month that caught my attention, my thanks.

I watched this the first time it was shown on terrestrial tv. I've since bought the Blu-Ray boxset and it doesn't lose anything from watching a second time. Simply superb. 

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Yetizone

Ready Player One - BluRay

Missed at the cinema and so keen to catch up on this film. The BoyYeti really enjoyed the gaming aspect of the story and now wants to try any form of VR, and even though I’m not much of a gamer I’m also quite tempted!

Really interesting to spot as many of the 80s cultural references in amongst the (spectacular) cgi mayhem as I could find, but there were so many it became sensory overload after a while - now intend to check out the Ernest Cline book to see what else was thrown in there.

Tremendous production design both inside and outside of 'The Oasis'. A good solid cast (esp Ben Mendelsohn) and inventive character matching to their avatars. There’s also a rather wonderful movie homage sequence used as a plot device for the VR characters. Beautifully utilised and an unexpected surprise and pleasure. Snappily paced and entertaining all the way through. Spielberg’s best film in ages and it’s pretty clear he was having fun putting this film together. Highly recommended.

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson

"Restrepo"  (2010)  I recently read the book "The Fighters" which was about six individuals who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.  One of them was a helicoptor pilot making supprt runs into the Korengal Valley of Afghanistan.  This National Geographic documentary DVD "Restrepo" is about a ground squad outpost of US soldiers on a 15 month deployment in the Korengal Valley.  Difficult at times to watch,  but necessary IMO to have any understanding of what the US (and other countries at war) asks its young men to do.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Started to watch this today a.m. and gave up after 30 minutes.  Not, for me, worth another 1 hour plus.  Just my opinion.  Back to the music.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by MDS
Jeff Anderson posted:

Started to watch this today a.m. and gave up after 30 minutes.  Not, for me, worth another 1 hour plus.  Just my opinion.  Back to the music.

The plot develops more interestingly than you might have expected from the start of the movie, Jeff, so maybe worth persevering for longer.