What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson
MDS posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

Started to watch this today a.m. and gave up after 30 minutes.  Not, for me, worth another 1 hour plus.  Just my opinion.  Back to the music.

The plot develops more interestingly than you might have expected from the start of the movie, Jeff, so maybe worth persevering for longer.  

I appreciate you commenting Mike, but that movie is not for me, regardless of how the plot continues to develop.  Jeff A

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by MDS
Jeff Anderson posted:
MDS posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

Started to watch this today a.m. and gave up after 30 minutes.  Not, for me, worth another 1 hour plus.  Just my opinion.  Back to the music.

The plot develops more interestingly than you might have expected from the start of the movie, Jeff, so maybe worth persevering for longer.  

I appreciate you commenting Mike, but that movie is not for me, regardless of how the plot continues to develop.  Jeff A

Fair enough, Jeff.  

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson

"Hostiles" (2018)  -  Very slow paced movie during the 1892 period of the Wild West in the US.  The time period was of interest as my maternal grandfather was born in 1896 and I knew him for 28 years.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by rackkit

With so many ways to watch films (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix etc), can this thread title be changed to just 'what film have you just watched?', or even 'what have you just watched?' to cover anything and everything! 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Yetizone

Apostle - streamed via Netflix.

If you like horror films to reference the 1960 and 1970s classics, then this is worth checking out. A complete departure in tone from The Raid movies for Gareth Evans, and so a highly anticipated genre switch. An interesting plot idea that cleverly changes tack as the story unfolds. Some truly striking moments that are beautifully framed and composed. Tense, unsettling and pretty gruesome and violent in places. Very well acted overall. Dan Stevens like you’ve never seen him before and Micheal Sheen gloriously chewing the scenery, also with a limp that switches from leg to leg - gotta love Micheal Sheen! Despite the plusses, somehow it never quite gels together as a cohesive film for me, especially in the final act (too long?).

Worth watching for the horror devotees though.

The design of film poster is quite superb too and one of my favourites of the year.

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by Yetizone

Hereditary: Streamed via Apple TV. 

Blimey, this was hard going! A slow build up of paranoia and utter dread creep into every frame of this movie, and it certainly drew me. Won't go into any further detail to avoid spoilers, but I thought it one of the most effective chillers I've seen in quite some time (prob since The Witch). There are so many images that have stuck in my mind since first viewing, and some of which I'd rather forget. in fact I'm still coming down after the trip a few days later! I can understand it being a divisive movie as it won't be for everyone, but for the Horror nutters on the forum, highly recommended.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Did not enjoy anything about this movie.  Again, just me I expect.  Should have listened to music this morning.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Haim Ronen
Jeff Anderson posted:

Did not enjoy anything about this movie.  Again, just me I expect.  Should have listened to music this morning.

So many killings, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by winkyincanada

This is pretty great.

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by MDS

Watched this yesterday evening. A bit of an oldie now but stylish and enjoyable. Virginia Madsen's performance is especially good.

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by Haim Ronen
After falling in love in a French coastal town, British spy James and deep-sea scientist Danielle must part when work beckons. Within months, both find themselves isolated and submerged -- figuratively and literally -- in memories of their affair.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by simon, but not simple

Image result for meg movie

Watched this with my teenage son last night. It was so bad it was actually hilarious. Funniest moment was the tiny dog being chased by the Meg. Truly ridiculous movie and the best actor was the Meg!

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Richard Dane
Haim Ronen posted:
After falling in love in a French coastal town, British spy James and deep-sea scientist Danielle must part when work beckons. Within months, both find themselves isolated and submerged -- figuratively and literally -- in memories of their affair.

Haim, I have this on my Cinema Paradiso list.  What did you think of it?

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by ewemon
Jeff Anderson posted:

Didn't like it either Jeff

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Haim Ronen
Richard Dane posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Haim, I have this on my Cinema Paradiso list.  What did you think of it?

Richard, it is worth watching, probably three out of five stars when I am in a generous mood. I am not big on love stories and that's probably why the wife liked it more. Both occupations of the characters are exciting so you will not be bored.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by winkyincanada

I'm a sucker for Pixar movies. This is quality.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by rackkit

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Haim Ronen

A very well made film of a father, an army vet, and his daughter who live in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07ktacEGo8

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by winkyincanada
Haim Ronen posted:

A very well made film of a father, an army vet, and his daughter who live in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07ktacEGo8

Looks interesting. Probably not a comedy, though. I'm going to give it a go. Winter's Bone was pretty tough going, so I'm prepared for that.

(LNT was shot around Vancouver near where I live. There's even a glimpse of the Lionsgate Bridge that I cycle across every day. They shoot a lot of movies in the forests of the North Shore. It acts as a proxy for Oregon and Washington, but is cheaper for movie companies due to lower labour costs and good support from the local governments)

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by MDS

I've been meaning to watch this movie for ages and finally did so last night.  I can see why it attracted plaudits. Some scenes were a bit uncomfortable but the acting performances are strong, the story line, or more accurately lines, develop well and interestingly.  I'm sure the movie's maximum impact is the first time you see it because of the surprises that flow.  Recommended. 

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by Drikus

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Tony2011

This is is an excellent collection of some of Kurosawa's great masterpieces. I had seen most of them but watched The Hidden Fortress(1958), missed in my college days,  for the first time and was duly mesmerised by the sheer  brilliancy of the man. No wonder it left  a long lasting impression on a young George Lucas who confessed to having had  great and deep influence on storylines and composition of a  couple of  Star Wars films. Highly recommend!

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Kevin-W

[@mention:6917038660692026] - do you know Ozu and Mizoguchi? What do you think of their movies?