World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 20 May 2018

As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France have just gotten worse and become an embarassment.

Hopefully though Gareth Southgates youthful looking squad can change all that and play without the fear that seemed to infect our squads in recent tournaments.  Whatever we should be in store for some great football, I wonder who will be the surprise team, who will be the youngster that excites us all and who will win the Golden Boot this time round?

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by MDS

I'm looking forward to the tournament, too, though expectations not high.  If Southgate is bold, gives the players freedom, and encourages them to play with a high tempo like they do in the Premier League (ideally going 'all-out' as Liverpool and Man City) I can see them scaring some to teams to death.  We certainly should qualify from our group.

Beyond England, I'm looking forward to seeing Panama on making their debut in a World Cup.  If Russia are as bad as they were at the Euros, I can see the hosts going out very quickly. The winners? I find it hard to avoid plumping for the ever-reliable and technically proficient Germans.   

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Kevin-W

I always enjoy the tournament, whether any of the home nations are in it or not; in fact, it's usually a relief once England gets knocked out so you can start relaxing and enjoyng the football. There's always someone worth supporting (in '14 I was rooting for Costa Rica and Chile).

Inevitably Brazil and Germany are the bookies' favourites, but I think the French look the strongest they have done since 2000, so I will be putting a cheeky wager on them.

It'll be great to see how the brilliant Mo salah performs with Egypt, and I'll also be rooting for Iceland, playing in their first-ever WC.

England are regarded as rank outsiders (well 16/1) and this, along with the fact that expectations are low, might mean that they do reasonably well for once, and give Southgate something to build on in the future.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by MDS

We've been on something of  roll over the last couple of years in 'junior' international competitions. Maybe that winning mentality will percolate upwards.   

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Christopher_M
Bob the Builder posted:

...play without the fear....

That's the key phrase for me, Bob.

C.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by wenger2015

I’m quietly confident we actually have a team that will play at last without fear and due to low expectations possibly perform to a higher level.

who famously said ‘you will never win anything with a team full of kids’...

Maybe they will actually play as a team, and everyone will actually be on form......

We are long overdue having the opportunity to actually get excited about England, the last time was Euro 96...

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by thebigfredc

I am not confident in the England team or keen on the venue for tournament. I would love to be wrong on both counts.

Southgate seems a genuinely nice fellow and hopefully he can get a performance out of the players unlike Erikson, Capello et al.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Tabby cat

Looking forward to the Tournament - but as everyone who has posted says pretty low expectations of how well we will do..I think even the media have their feet on the ground these days.After we hit new heights for us after Euro 96 the expectations for England was massive.I remember it was we are England and all we have to do is turn up and we will win it which was laughable.

At least Gareth has a squad who are in good physical shape.Good that Vardy is in good shape and finished his season well.Pleased Joe Hart and Jack Wilshire won't be there as their form has been average at best.Hope Raheem Stirling has a good one and John Stones and Kyle Walker.......Good luck England hope they go on a run  but both my feet on the ground.like Southgate seems like a decent chap

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I'm glad my team (the Netherlands) decided not to qualify since we then had to play sports in Russia.

Surely this has nothing to do with the quality of our players...

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by MDS
Ardbeg10y posted:

I'm glad my team (the Netherlands) decided not to qualify since we then had to play sports in Russia.

I'll be sorry not to see the Dutch at the World Cup. I'll also miss Italy. I've always enjoyed watching the great players  in orange and blue shirts respectively. They seem to grow into even better players when wearing their national shirts, rather in contrast to English players. 

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Bert Schurink
Ardbeg10y posted:

I would have hoped they would have been there, it would have been more emotional for me, now just watching objectively.... one advantage no distraction for North Sea Jazz....

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Christopher_M

I took positives from a newspaper interview with Southagate I read at the weekend. He looked quite steely to me. He was under no illusions.

His approach seemed based around giving the players freedom to act responisbly, to act with integrity as professionals and so do the right thing. The more so under the eye of a voracious 24/7 media.

My hope is that he can knit them together into a team which put club rivalries aside. I want a fast paced, high-pressing England. Basically the best of Man City, Spurs and Liverpool. Don't worry, I'm aware that those players that give those attributes to those three club sides may not be English!

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Christopher_M

*Southgate

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Shouldn't the title of this topic be 'threat' instead of 'thread'???

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Fabio 1
MDS posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

I'll be sorry not to see the Dutch at the World Cup. I'll also miss Italy. I've always enjoyed watching the great players  in orange and blue shirts respectively. They seem to grow into even better players when wearing their national shirts, rather in contrast to English players. 

High diving?Horse races?Cricket?Curling?Which of these sports you,MDS,would suggest to me for June?I got over Italy's Team exclusion but still can't stand Ventura and his job and also Federation's ex Chief Tavecchio.Let me know,please!

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Fabio 1

I think I will contribute the "Nice photos"thread with my new camera..

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by MDS
Fabio 1 posted:
MDS posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

High diving?Horse races?Cricket?Curling?Which of these sports you,MDS,would suggest to me for June?I got over Italy's Team exclusion but still can't stand Ventura and his job and also Federation's ex Chief Tavecchio.Let me know,please!

My advice would be to do what some of us England fans do when our team disappears from major tournaments - adopt another team, preferably an underdog.  I gave my backing to backing to Chile in the last World Cup.  

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by wenger2015

Apart from England of course, who are the teams to watch out for, obviously Germany, Brazil, France,  .......,,,.,,,,,,,,,,,,Belgium seem to be highly favoured .....anyone else????

Posted on: 26 May 2018 by Pedro

Wales. Oh no, that’s just wishful thinking. Tro nesaf.

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by thebigfredc

Argentina, Spain and Portugal.

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by wenger2015
thebigfredc posted:

Argentina, Spain and Portugal.

It’s difficult to see a winner other then Germany..??

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by nickpeacock

Since the Euro 2016 fiasco, I have adopted a new policy. I will only watch England play again when they reach the semi-final of a major tournament. It’s been blissful. I haven’t had to watch meaningless friendlies where we field 22 players. Nor endless qualifiers. And I can safely eschew the red-top jingoistic fervour. Well, at least until we reach the semis of course, pending which I shall put my feet up, get the beers in and enjoy watching other teams play good football.

nickpeacock posted:

Since the Euro 2016 fiasco, I have adopted a new policy. I will only watch England play again when they reach the semi-final of a major tournament. 

You may well be in for a long wait before getting those beers in..... 

Although with such low expectations of an England team.... and assuming none of the team get poisoned.... maybe those footballing gods might smile  on us for once

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by TOBYJUG

Sorry, but I'm not clued up that much on football,  but didn't Rooney once state that he wasn't that much bothered about playing for England. Since he had more success playing off other great players in the cup teams.  Got a feeling big time long time that other players felt the same.

when Rooney got the ball in an England match, it always looked like he didn't know what to do with it since the other more talented players weren't there to help out. He only scored goals when more talented players set him up.

Now that he's long gone, I hope the young players now can feel some genuine passion for playing as an England footballer.

TOBYJUG posted:

Sorry, but I'm not clued up that much on football,  but didn't Rooney once state that he wasn't that much bothered about playing for England. Since he had more success playing off other great players in the cup teams.  Got a feeling big time long time that other players felt the same.

when Rooney got the ball in an England match, it always looked like he didn't know what to do with it since the other more talented players weren't there to help out. He only scored goals when more talented players set him up.

Now that he's long gone, I hope the young players now can feel some genuine passion for playing as an England footballer.

Rooney scored well, I think he’s been Englands top scorer both on and off the field.....

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by TOBYJUG
wenger2015 posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Rooney scored well, I think he’s been Englands top scorer both on and off the field.....

Only 2 in a live tournament, and they were in his first Euro.