Music you can't stand and hearing it puts you in a bad mood :(

Posted by: Tabby cat on 20 August 2018

One Genre which always doe's it for me is Skat Jazz - God I lothe it with a passion.Sometimes on Radio 3 on Saturday at 5 pm they have the Jazz programme.I enjoy the show but the moment they play some Skat I turn it off instantly.A couple of weeks ago I was listening to a old Garage House Mix Cassette tape and was enjoying it until some Skat was mixed over the track.I just ejected the tape and threw it in the bin.....argh Skat I hate it.If I went to Hell that would be my definition having to listen to Skat for an eternity.

Always enjoy normal Jazz though - although there is a huge amount that I haven't yet.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Clive B

Rap, which I can only assume has a silent C.

That and bland pop music.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Beachcomber

Tricky.  There are several genres I don't like in general, but like individual pieces.  Part of the problem is that it can be difficult to categorise music.  For instance, generally I don't like jazz - but do like some of Dave Brubeck, I like Circle Songs (some of them, at least) by McFerrin, some New Orleans trad jazz.  But I haven't come across any impromptu jazz I like.  I generally dislike Rap (with or without the silent C), but like occasional tracks like The message by Grandmaster Flash.  Much of opera I dislike, particularly the wavery soprano singing where it seems as though the singer really can't decide on the note.  But I do like some individual arias (Slaves' Chorus (is that right?)) and a few others are amazingly good.  Not keen on much of the modern pop - but that is so varied.  Rolling in the deep is good - is that pop?  Amy Winehouse You know I'm no good - don't like much else she did, but she had a great voice.  Much of what I like I find hard to categorise.

But I hate, with a passion, Mike Sarne singers (or whatever they are) - you know, the horrible stuff put out over supermarket musak systems particularly at Christmas.  In fact, pretty much anything that shops play.

Steve

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Paper Plane

Anything by The Smiths/Morrissey...

Ye-hah Country & Western is pretty irritating too. The sort where the wife leaves, the dog dies and the kid's wheelchair gets a puncture.

steve

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Death Metal I just don't get it, Christian Rock just makes me feel sick and that Euro pop dance music can make me quite angry.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by blythe

Modern R&B. Hideous.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Mercky

Thigh slapping country rock, particularly if it features a banjo! 

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Anything by Queen...????????

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by rjstaines

The introduction music for Big Brother 

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Chunky

Anything by Duran Duran. 

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by dave marshall

Prog Rock, with it's endless "noodling" ................... tin hat on, runs for cover! 

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Peder

The type of Jazz...where all the musicians seem to play their own song,stuck in the same song as the others...I Hate It.!!

There's not even a common melody loop to follow.
Completely impossible to listen to ????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Bob the Builder
dave marshall posted:

Prog Rock, with it's endless "noodling" ................... tin hat on, runs for cover! 

Yes I'll second that Prog Rock is a particularly annoying brand of music all that dressing up like extras from The Hobbit is really, really annoying.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by French Rooster

death metal, rap, modern soul, and sometimes classical music too, even if it’s in another league as the first three.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by TK421

Call centre 'on hold music'.

I'm generally in a bad mood just trying to navigate the endless options of 'press 1 for...' etc.,

Then you have to listen to s**t for minutes on end.

However, there is at least one company out there that actually gives you a choice of music to listen to. You press 1 for jazz,2 for classical, 3 for pop not sure what 4 was .... I gave up!

Call centres are the work of the devil.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Loki

Rap. And that's about it. Sentimental and self-consciously complicated or artificially emotional recordings.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Iconoclast

Anything that drags on repeatedly and endlessly, especially jazz.

All those unimaginative jazz trios and/or schmoozy female jazz vocalists that a lot of audiophiles enjoy. They belong in hotel lounges.

Piano (jazz, classical, etc) where the ''virtuoso'' pianist gets carried away hammering on the keyboard frantically.Stresses me out completely.

Blaring jazz brass (triggers my tinnitus).

Jazz with the mandatory boring upright bass solo. You know, like most of Bill Evan's stuff. Why?

Commercial country.

Pop that uses those ubiquitous annoying voice changing devices (forget the technical term).

All but the very best rap or hip-hop and all but the very best metal or progressive rock.

Any thin sounding recordings that make my ears bleed and make me want to throw my gear out the window and buy a cheap Bose bluetooth speaker..

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Paper Plane
Peder posted:

The type of Jazz...where all the musicians seem to play their own song,stuck in the same song as the others...I Hate It.!!

/Peder ????

Mrs Plane calls jazz "untidy music", especially the type you describe.

steve

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Loki

...oh yes, and drum and bass: someone took out the melody????

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Musicals. Although one or two are quite good.

There has been others that I never liked in the past. Country, prog Folk. Skiffle. Euro Pop. Avant garde Classical etc but have come around these days being ok with everything so long as it has some quality.   Must be from all the years watching X Factor and Britains got Talent.

Have got a soft spot for that difficult jazz that sounds like the entire band falling down an up Escalator. 

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Jazz, especially with trumpets. (I don’t like most jazz, but bring out the trumpets and I can’t stand being in earshot).

Big Band

Crooners

Country & Western (most)

Soul

Pop (most)

Rap

Modern classical (most)

...As you can see, I have a wide taste in music - music I don’t like, that is.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Bob the Builder posted:
dave marshall posted:

Yes I'll second that Prog Rock is a particularly annoying brand of music all that dressing up like extras from The Hobbit is really, really annoying.

So ok listening to records as long as you don’t look at the sleeve pics?

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Bert Schurink

Country and Western, Religious Choir Music And German Schlager music....

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TallGuy
Innocent Bystander posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
dave marshall posted:

So ok listening to records as long as you don’t look at the sleeve pics?

It's okay, they all swapped to sports gear in the early 80s as well as shortening the tunes in an attempt to hide their past.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by TallGuy
Peder posted:

/Peder ????

Ah yes, free form jazz. 20 minutes waiting for the tune to start.......

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Clive B

What a divisive (yet fun) thread this is proving to be! It just goes to show how different are our musical tastes, when I assume we would all consider ourselves to be music lovers.