Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 18 May 2016 by sjbabbey

Allegedly slated for an official release (it was recorded by Eddie Kramer) this album has some sonic flaws but it has some funny banter/Plantations so we now know that Rock stars also have to go to the loo.

Posted on: 18 May 2016 by badlands

Posted on: 18 May 2016 by Bob the Builder

The Who - Live at Leeds

Posted on: 18 May 2016 by Bob the Builder
Kevin-W posted:

A thrilling performance, bootleg-style packaging. A complete and utter din! Who could ask for more?

Young Man Blues wow

Posted on: 10 June 2016 by Peet
k posted:
Peet posted:
Peet posted:

Yes ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' is one of the better vocal recordings. Sounds so natural and real. The upright bass and the drums as well, as if being there. 

The 12 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a studio audience. The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room,with out headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:
As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary, and since everybody is in the same room,the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent, and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.
This is all very well but there are also problematic aspects to this procedure:
The room, studio, has to have a good sound. The musicians have to be very good and well prepared as it is very difficult to repair mistakes because of the ''cross talk'' between the instruments, we have to be very precise when choosing and placing the microphones and the puzzle of placing the musicians at the right distance to the main stereo microphones and the right distance to each other, is also time consuming. And when we have a live audience in the studio, we pray that they remember to turn of their cell phones and the ones with a bad cold choose to stay at home. The room where the recordings has been done is the now legendary Studio Eleven situated in the the building of the Dutch World Broad Casting Service. The Studio was used extensively in the 60's by European and visiting American jazz musicians (Wes Montgomery, Cannonball Adderley, Dexter Gordon, Eric Dolphy.....). The Dutch World Broad Casting Service asked Frans de Rond to bring the room back to life as a recording studio, and Frans after seeing and hearing the room jumped at the opportunity. Sound Liaison has been allowed to use the room for our audiophile projects and we are eternally greatfull to the Dutch World Service for the opportunity.

Recorded in Studio Eleven (Hilversum) with a live audience on September 15, 2012.
This recording was made by Sound Liaison for and with lovers of high-end audio recordings.
The file is a one to one copy of the master file (96kHz/24bit)

.http://www.soundliaison.com/st...usand-shades-of-blue

the Carmen Gomes album was recorded in a more controlled environment, live in the studio, while the Patricia Album is live on stage, that is a part of the explanation in SQ.

Pioneer is using the Carmen Gomes album to show of their new audiophile MQA player;

http://www.whathifi.com/news/p...-hi-res-music-player

But MQA files are not available yet so I guess it is a flac file on the player.

Posted on: 13 June 2016 by christian u
Peet posted:
k posted:
Peet posted:
Peet posted:

Yes ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' is one of the better vocal recordings. Sounds so natural and real. The upright bass and the drums as well, as if being there. 

The 12 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a studio audience. The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room,with out headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:
As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary, and since everybody is in the same room,the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent, and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.
This is all very well but there are also problematic aspects to this procedure:
The room, studio, has to have a good sound. The musicians have to be very good and well prepared as it is very difficult to repair mistakes because of the ''cross talk'' between the instruments, we have to be very precise when choosing and placing the microphones and the puzzle of placing the musicians at the right distance to the main stereo microphones and the right distance to each other, is also time consuming. And when we have a live audience in the studio, we pray that they remember to turn of their cell phones and the ones with a bad cold choose to stay at home. The room where the recordings has been done is the now legendary Studio Eleven situated in the the building of the Dutch World Broad Casting Service. The Studio was used extensively in the 60's by European and visiting American jazz musicians (Wes Montgomery, Cannonball Adderley, Dexter Gordon, Eric Dolphy.....). The Dutch World Broad Casting Service asked Frans de Rond to bring the room back to life as a recording studio, and Frans after seeing and hearing the room jumped at the opportunity. Sound Liaison has been allowed to use the room for our audiophile projects and we are eternally greatfull to the Dutch World Service for the opportunity.

Recorded in Studio Eleven (Hilversum) with a live audience on September 15, 2012.
This recording was made by Sound Liaison for and with lovers of high-end audio recordings.
The file is a one to one copy of the master file (96kHz/24bit)

.http://www.soundliaison.com/st...usand-shades-of-blue

the Carmen Gomes album was recorded in a more controlled environment, live in the studio, while the Patricia Album is live on stage, that is a part of the explanation in SQ.

Pioneer is using the Carmen Gomes album to show of their new audiophile MQA player;

http://www.whathifi.com/news/p...-hi-res-music-player

But MQA files are not available yet so I guess it is a flac file on the player.

2L (http://www.2l.no/)  is the only label I know that sells MQA downloads.

From what I understand you can play MQA without a dedicated player but to really get the benefits you need a player.

But how it is possible that it should sound better than flac is beyond me. Seems to me it is just an more efficient way of compressing data.

Posted on: 15 June 2016 by Peet

Here is an article about that; http://www.theabsolutesound.co...qa-on-the-threshold/

Posted on: 05 July 2016 by k

And here is one that puts MQA in a more negative light;

[qoute]

We believe that supporting MQA means handing over the entire recording industry to an external standards organization. MQA wants:
  • Licensing fees from the recording studios
  • Licensing fees from the digital audio product manufacturers
  • Hardware or software access/insight into the DAC or player
  • Subscription fees from every listener via Tidal, and/or royalties from purchases of re-releases by the recording industry [/qoute]

http://schiit.com/news?m

Posted on: 07 July 2016 by Peet
kevin J Carden posted:
fond of the craic

Tough to translate properly, but basically means a fun, lively, social evening in Ireland (Both Northern and Eire). A good time. It often also involves plenty of Alcohol...

They have been fun during this championship;

Posted on: 07 July 2016 by ewemon
Bob the Builder posted:
Kevin-W posted:

A thrilling performance, bootleg-style packaging. A complete and utter din! Who could ask for more?

Young Man Blues wow

A great version of the Mose Allison track taken from his Mose Allison sings album. 

Posted on: 16 July 2016 by Peet

great stuff. Thankyou.  Rock with placement;

Posted on: 24 July 2016 by Iconoclast

Excellent recording. Favorite tracks: 2, 5, 7

Posted on: 24 July 2016 by Iconoclast
Peet posted:

great stuff. Thankyou.  Rock with placement;

When I was in my early teens we had formed a band in my friend's basement. We taped a microphone, ''borrowed'' from a taxi cab, inside an acoustic guitar. One guy played the guitar while the other screamed ''Young Man Blues'' into the microphone hooked up to a cheap P/A amp and I did my Keith Moon impersonation on a $50 drum kit. Now I understand why my friend's father used to drink so much.

Nowadays I prefer the Mose Allison version.

Posted on: 25 July 2016 by steveb

Stunning sound and performance from one of the Krautrock legends.  

Steve

Posted on: 29 July 2016 by Peet
Peet posted:
  1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.

No.2 on my list is on sale at the moment €10; flac, dsd or wav.  http://www.soundliaison.com/

Posted on: 29 July 2016 by kevin J Carden

Cor wow.. Enjoying the heck out of this late on a Friday night..

Posted on: 31 July 2016 by tom539

Maybe this one from Sound Liason - now on "Summer Sale" for only 10€ in each format (96/24 to DSD64):

Just listen to the last track Countryboy - this is musical heaven in the best SQ you might possible can buy... 

Posted on: 05 August 2016 by Dazza53
Geofiz posted:

Simply outstanding recording that Neil sat on for decades.  Absolutely fantastic on vinyl.

One of my reference vinyl discs.

Posted on: 07 August 2016 by Geofiz
Geofiz posted:

Simply outstanding recording that Neil sat on for decades.  Absolutely fantastic on vinyl.

I like that he hasn't the small amount of tape noise that is there as well.  The acoustics at Toronto's Massey Hall are really quite good and the ambience of the hall shines through on the recording as well.  Amazing that Neil initially did not want to release this disk.  Apparently thought it would fail miserably compared to the success of Harvest.

His Live at the Cellar Door, and Sugar Mountain Live are also two other very good live recordings, but Live at Massey Hall is the best.

Posted on: 07 August 2016 by migo
Peet posted:
Originally Posted by christian u:
Originally Posted by k:
Originally Posted by Peet:

Pure on SQ this album should be mentioned.

absolutely!

Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.......

...... Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.. . . Rad Bennett

''soundstage''

Yes it is a remarkable recording.

Those albums are part of a series of live in the studio albums they made, called the Studio Showcase series.

I believe there are 4 very diverse albums in the series but all with terrific SQ.

Those albums are on sale at the moment, 50% off  on DSD, WAV  and  Flac; http://www.soundliaison.com/

Posted on: 21 August 2016 by Peet
kevin J Carden posted:

One of the most swinging' albums ever!!!

Posted on: 23 August 2016 by dave marshall

This.

A classic from B B King, and surely one of the best ever live recordings.

Posted on: 11 September 2016 by kevin J Carden

Did anybody mention this? 

Posted on: 16 September 2016 by dave marshall

Two oldies, but goldies.....................and still  sounding great.

Posted on: 23 September 2016 by Peet
kevin J Carden posted:

I saw an interview with Jimmy Heath, were he said that his favorite bass player was Sam Jones because '' He could walk to hell and back! '' meaning that no matter how long the solos were, he would be right there keepin'  time and swingin'.