Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 22 March 2015 by ewemon
Originally Posted by MDS:
Originally Posted by ewemon:

Agree with this one.  Here's another:

Funnily enough Tony I have the If You Want Blood album but never gave this one a listen. Maybe I need to as I see it posted here every now and again.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Cdb

Great stuff! I must say I have never understood the rave reviews for Waiting for Columbus - which seems stodgy compared to this.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Cdb

Wish I had seen him live...

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by MDS
Originally Posted by MDS:

Agree with this one.  Here's another:

Funnily enough Tony I have the If You Want Blood album but never gave this one a listen. Maybe I need to as I see it posted here every now and again.

Yes, ewe. Can heartily recommend this. Have heard it one both CD and vinyl. Opening of Thunderstruck is visceral. 

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by ewemon
Originally Posted by Cdb:

Wish I had seen him live...

Saw him in Glasgow in 1980. Usual singalong with the Apollo choir.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by sjbabbey

The original version of course. it's a bit of a patchwork but contains definitive versions of "Red House", "Little Wing" and "Johnny B. Goode"

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Bert

The Jimi Hendrix Concerts. 

Very good sound quality, especially the drums in "I don't live today".

"Stone Free" rocks along for more than 10 minutes. Brilliant stuff.

The Boston concert from November 1979 is how they used to sound in the early days. I had a cassettte of their June 1979 concert in Paradiso Amsterdam, played it so many times until the tape broke - knew every beat of the drums by heart

Sex Machine live, around 1970

Includes the incredible "Give it up or turn it a loose", where James goes out of his mind and brings the crowd to boiling point. Great drumming by Clyde Stubblefield.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by fred simon

Jimi ... Band of Gypsys

Keith Jarrett ... Personal Mountains

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Morton

Obviously not the best sound in the world, but fantastic music.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by dry_stone

Of all the bands I saw at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival

A Taste album was the first I played when I eventually got home

Posted on: 23 March 2015 by ewemon

The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel - 1965

Before anyone tells me I know that a lot of this album was over dubbed etc but it is a true statement of what Thin Lizzy were like at the time. Saw them a few times during this period and they never failed to rock the place.

Runnin on Empty

Posted on: 23 March 2015 by Stevee_S

Posted on: 23 March 2015 by tom539

Here are my favorits:

Posted on: 23 March 2015 by Cdb

Any idea why this, of all the Miles Davis box sets, is not available? I emailed Sony once a few years ago but had no reply.

Posted on: 23 March 2015 by dave4jazz

Any idea why this, of all the Miles Davis box sets, is not available? I emailed Sony once a few years ago but had no reply.

If streaming/downloads are not a dirty word try Qobuz.16-bit CD Quality £56.00. A lot cheaper than S/H CD copies.

Dave

Posted on: 23 March 2015 by Cdb
Originally Posted by dave4jazz:

If streaming/downloads are not a dirty word try Qobuz.16-bit CD Quality £56.00. A lot cheaper than S/H CD copies.

Dave

Thanks for that thought - downloads weren't available when I last looked for this. Still doesn't make sense when all the rest are in box sets and very reasonable.

No idea. It does pop up for sale every now and again at a reasonable price but you have to be on the lookout as it goes quickly.

Posted on: 25 March 2015 by tom539

And of course this one:

Posted on: 25 March 2015 by k

That brings back memories...

Posted on: 25 March 2015 by varyat
Originally Posted by sjbabbey:

Michael Schenker is awesome on this.

I was there and yes, he was! Favorite band of my childhood years..

Posted on: 26 March 2015 by count.d
Originally Posted by Geofiz:

Simply outstanding recording that Neil sat on for decades.  Absolutely fantastic on vinyl.

Yes, this one stands out for me too. 

Another great is Ryan Adams - Live After Deaf boxset.