Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 06 June 2018 by Clive B
ALANP posted:

Image result for eric clapton just one night

Eric Clapton - Just One Night, which I am sure must have been posted before.Whilst IMO not his best band, this is a great recording with excellent instrument separation.Ably supported by Albert Lee who is nicely different to Clapton in style and technique.

When I saw him in this tour, Albert Lee played a rousing version of Country Boy, which brought the house down. It was the highlight of the evening. 

Posted on: 20 June 2018 by k

More lowfi Clapton and Lee

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Peet
Clive B posted:
ALANP posted:

Image result for eric clapton just one night

Eric Clapton - Just One Night, which I am sure must have been posted before.Whilst IMO not his best band, this is a great recording with excellent instrument separation.Ably supported by Albert Lee who is nicely different to Clapton in style and technique.

When I saw him in this tour, Albert Lee played a rousing version of Country Boy, which brought the house down. It was the highlight of the evening. 

That is one of the great things about ''Slow Hand'' he has never been afraid to share the limelight.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Peet

One of my all time favorite albums

Posted on: 04 August 2018 by migo

Great album indeed.

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Peet

well the title says it all.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Peet

Some people find this the best Sonny album ever.

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by Peet
Pev posted:

It's here for free on Archive .org:

https://archive.org/details/gd...ister.174.sbeok.shnf

Not the very best SQ but more than decent. Given the rate the Dead organisation are releasing shows I'm sure there will be an official release sometime soon - best keep an eye on Dead.net

Would be nice with an official release, they are in superb form here.

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Chet Baker Quartet ft Phil Markowitz - Live at Nic's  recorded live at Nic's Jazz Cafe in Laren, Northern Holland 1978 on Criss Cross Records.  I've been after this one for a while but it's always been quite expensive I found this copy for a very reasonable £14.99 in absolute mint condition Sound Quality is very, very good.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by christian u
Peet posted:

This one is 10 years older; 

That could be a new thread '' Best version of St. Louis Blues''!

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Peet
Bob the Builder posted:

Chet Baker Quartet ft Phil Markowitz - Live at Nic's  recorded live at Nic's Jazz Cafe in Laren, Northern Holland 1978 on Criss Cross Records.  I've been after this one for a while but it's always been quite expensive I found this copy for a very reasonable £14.99 in absolute mint condition Sound Quality is very, very good.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Where did you find it?

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by wenger2015

Superb 

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Peet

Superb indeed but not live...this is:  

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Bob the Builder
Peet posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Where did you find it?

Hi Peet

I found this in Across the Tracks which is a second hand record shop in Brighton where I also found Chet Baker Quintet featuring Wayne Marsh on the same Criss Cross label both were £14.99.

Hope this doesn't break any forum rules and only bends them a little

If you want vinyl there is a copy on the worlds biggest auction site for £25 which is still cheap Discogs doesn't have a copy.

Or you can stream it via Tidal.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Peet

RIP Roy

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by k

Rip Roy Hargrove;  

Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker, Roy Hargrove ?– Directions In Music - Live At Massey Hall

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by k
Peet posted:

Here is a ''lo-fi'' favorite of mine.swiss moments

And as you have noticed a superb ''Hi- FI''  audiophile remake has been made;

"Call it fate, luck or coincidence, anyhow, I had just decided to expand my working trio into a quartet by adding trumpet player extraordinaire Dirk Beets, when Peter Bjørnild asked me to have a go at reinterpreting the Swiss Movement albums by Les McCann and Eddie Harris as a part of Sound Liaison’s "My Favorite album" series. Somehow those albums had not been on my radar in recent years, but upon listening, I realized, that the music was exactly what we were looking for in order to set out a new direction for my expanded trio. Les McCann and Eddie Harris’ compositions are catchy, groovy and full of energy but they also contain an element of freedom, which makes it easy to open up and let loose. Dirk Beets is an adventures trumpet player who loves experimenting with effects to enhance the sound of his trumpet, so casting him in the role of saxophonist Eddie Harris was a perfect match. Folker Tettero

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Geoff C

lee Ritenour Live In L A

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Peet

I think maybe ''Live in Hamburg '' is their best album.

k posted:

Yes , I bought it. Hugely satisfying album sq as well as music. I like the Less McCann translated to guitar idea. The sound of the  guitar really fits the music.

I got the Vinyl version as well, and as I just reported on another thread; ''So I received the Vinyl  and can report that it is an excellent pressing, very quiet, high quality vinyl.''

And good to be supporting such talented musicians directly via BandCamp:   https://tettero.bandcamp.com/a...ie-harris-les-mccann

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Peet
Clive B posted:

What would be Albert Lee's best album in your opinion?

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Iver van de Zand

Listening to the « Dave Brubeck Qaurtet - Live at Carnegie Hall » ... superbly recorded at 16/44 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by Peet
Iver van de Zand posted:

Listening to the « Dave Brubeck Qaurtet - Live at Carnegie Hall » ... superbly recorded at 16/44 

recorded to tape and mastered in 16/44. Good sounding 16/44 indeed but it is time for a hi-res remaster.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Ron Toolsie

Mike Oldfield-Exposed

I don't know how many times I played this-but it surely must be in the triple digits now. Apart from some very fluid harmony guitar licks in TB, the version of Incantations is also quite stunning for a live performance. And the concert pics strongly impelled me to purchase a Gibson L6S as my first electric guitar-for which I gave an entire summers worth of dole money....225UKP.