Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 28 September 2016 by k

Sam Jones and Louis  Hayes, great rhythm section.  

Posted on: 04 October 2016 by kevin J Carden

I could equally have put this in he 'best recorded albums' thread, but this belongs most appropriately here in best live albums  It's been flagged here before but having just listened to 'Where were you' and not simply experienced goosebumps, but actually cried I wanted to give it another push. Stunning stuff. 

Posted on: 09 October 2016 by Peet
tom539 posted:

Maybe this one from Sound Liason - now on "Summer Sale" for only 10€ in each format (96/24 to DSD64):

Just listen to the last track Countryboy - this is musical heaven in the best SQ you might possible can buy... 

This is one of my absolute favorite albums too, live or studio, this being live in the studio'' in front of a studio audience'',is maybe the best of both worlds. And indeed incredible SQ, depth, placement, a sense of being there, it is all there.

Posted on: 09 October 2016 by GraemeH

John Lee Hooker 'Live at Cafe Au Go-Go & Soledad Prison' is a nice mid-60's Live set.

G

Posted on: 09 October 2016 by Hook

Whether it's the vinyl box set...

...or the CD...

These were great performances, and beautifully recorded.

Posted on: 10 October 2016 by dave marshall

Among Joe's many live albums, this acoustic presentation of his blues rock catalogue is, quite simply, stunning, both in terms of musicianship, and invention.

Can't see it on Tidal, but it may be available on other streaming services...............have a listen..........it's brilliant! IMHO.

Posted on: 10 October 2016 by christian u
Peet posted:
tom539 posted:

Maybe this one from Sound Liason - now on "Summer Sale" for only 10€ in each format (96/24 to DSD64):

Just listen to the last track Countryboy - this is musical heaven in the best SQ you might possible can buy... 

This is one of my absolute favorite albums too, live or studio, this being live in the studio'' in front of a studio audience'',is maybe the best of both worlds. And indeed incredible SQ, depth, placement, a sense of being there, it is all there.

I told you so 

Posted on: 11 October 2016 by quickben
dave marshall posted:

Two oldies, but goldies.....................and still  sounding great.

Performance was one of the first ever live recordings I heard - and it is still totally electric. I have also got the extended CD set with all 4 sets that they did at the Fillmore - they took songs from each set, so listening to the 4 separately was initially strange but definitely rewarding - and they removed the censors bleep in Rolling Stone

Posted on: 21 October 2016 by Peet

Oh yeah Humble Pie!

I forgot about them, thanks!!!

Peter Frampton before  ''comes alive''.

Posted on: 28 October 2016 by Geoff C

Funky Friday !

Posted on: 28 October 2016 by Geoff C

Uploaded image incorrectly and couldn't edit - hopefully this will work!

Posted on: 02 November 2016 by dave marshall

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity.

Halfway through listening to this one, which captures the raw live energy of the band 100%..................great!

Posted on: 02 November 2016 by kevin J Carden

Dr Feelgood, Stupidity.. ah the memories! 

Had this one on LP and enjoyed greatly. Sadly, the LP12 is now gone and this album 'beached' for me. Should I get CD/download? Or have my tastes moved on too far? Decisions, decisions!

kevin J Carden posted:

Dr Feelgood, Stupidity.. ah the memories! 

Had this one on LP and enjoyed greatly. Sadly, the LP12 is now gone and this album 'beached' for me. Should I get CD/download? Or have my tastes moved on too far? Decisions, decisions!

Why the indecision?  ................. get it bought........................one's tastes may well have moved on, but if you are old enough to remember the Feelgoods, then you're to be excused a bit of a nostalgia fest.

Trust me, it sounds as good as ever, and that's coming from me, who saw them live, more years ago than I care to remember .

Just DO it! 

Posted on: 02 November 2016 by kevin J Carden

Probly right Dave.. what format were you listening on tonight? Regular CD? 

kevin J Carden posted:

Probly right Dave.. what format were you listening on tonight? Regular CD? 

T'was the CD, ripped as WAV, and steaming from the NAS to NDS.

Don't want to start a whole new topic concerning CD versus CD ripped, but, for me, the rips do actually sound better than I remember the CD's ever sounding.

Anyway, this is all fine detail, it's all about the music, so buy it ....................tomorrow! 

Posted on: 03 November 2016 by kevin J Carden

Tomorrow and tomorrow t'was done! 

'Stupidity' bought from Amazon used for 8quid odd. Arrives sometime in the next 3weeks!

agree rips v CD originals. Is what made me trade in my CDS3 as part of buying a new NDS. No regrets. 

Posted on: 03 November 2016 by kevin J Carden

Bonnie Raitt - Road Tested

This has been mentioned here before but played this again tonight through the preamp that shouldn't again be mentioned (!) and hearing it anew.

Before, through the 52 I'd thought it's sounded good sonically, but musically itv sounded on my old system like the musicians including Bonnie herself were going through the motions somewhat. Happily, I was completely wrong..

Posted on: 03 November 2016 by dave marshall
kevin J Carden posted:

Tomorrow and tomorrow t'was done! 

'Stupidity' bought from Amazon used for 8quid odd. Arrives sometime in the next 3weeks!

agree rips v CD originals. Is what made me trade in my CDS3 as part of buying a new NDS. No regrets. 

Side by side, my CDS3 sounded "shut in" if that makes any sense, compared to the NDS which then replaced it.

To answer your question about bargain CD's, they're second hand, over on Amazon, and usually show up under "available from other sellers".

Either that, or you can apply price filters to your search...............time well spent at 23p each, though postage usually adds £1.26 to the cost. 

Posted on: 04 November 2016 by Peet
kevin J Carden posted:

I could equally have put this in he 'best recorded albums' thread, but this belongs most appropriately here in best live albums  It's been flagged here before but having just listened to 'Where were you' and not simply experienced goosebumps, but actually cried I wanted to give it another push. Stunning stuff. 

Very good indeed!

Posted on: 14 November 2016 by Peet

And how old is that bass player?  She is really keeping up with the 2 veterans.

Posted on: 14 November 2016 by hungryhalibut

She was born in 1986, so on a 2008 album, 22.

Posted on: 14 November 2016 by GraemeH

Tal Wilkenfeld. She is one talented young lady.

G

Posted on: 20 November 2016 by Paulie
Geofiz posted:

Simply outstanding recording that Neil sat on for decades.  Absolutely fantastic on vinyl.

Could not agree more. I have the HDCD and the vinyl. Both are of stunning clarity for a live recording of that era (early 70s). The venue is special too. Massey Hall in Toronto is one of the finest concert venues in North America. Lovely acoustics. 

Posted on: 22 November 2016 by Richieroo

i all I took a flyer and bought Macy Grey 'Stripped' ..... wow this is an amazing 'chesky' recording...try it...let me know how you get on!!