What new releases are you looking forward to?

Posted by: Voltaire on 02 May 2009

I am sure this thread has been started before but...What new releases are you looking forward too?

I'll start the ball rolling...

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by ewemon

Dead Can Dance

3 cd set only £7.99 on the river at the moment 

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

The police - every move you make: the studio recordings will be released on November 16 Pre-order your box here:
This integral in a limited edition box includes the 5 Studio Albums of the police remastered, an LP of rarities (B-sides, titles not on the albums) only available in the box, and a booklet of 24 Photo pages from the group archives.
All albums are in 180 grams.
Contents of the box
1. Outlandos Love (1978)
2. White Regatta (1979)
3. Zenyatta (1980)
4. Ghost in the Machine (1981)
5. Synchronicity (1983)
Bonus Disc:
6. Flexible Strategies (2018)

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Beginning of November, the rest are also interesting renditions of the famous symphonies...

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Next week..

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Timmo1341

Having spent the last 20 minutes or so browsing back through this thread, I have reached the inescapable conclusion that the re-re-re releases of artists’ back catalogues badged up as premium box sets containing ‘never before heard’ outtakes, unreleased tracks etc., is just the latest method of fleecing music lovers!

The prices asked for the majority of these offerings are staggeringly eye watering. Yet another example of the upgrade virus, exploitation of those poor souls constantly seeking an unattainable musical nirvana (or the similarly afflicted ‘completists’ who cannot bear to not have every offering, whether or not it offers anything different or of better quality).

This truly is shameful, cynical behaviour by the owners of the original recordings, who you would have thought had made more than enough money out of us by now! 

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by ragman

A new Mumford and sons will be released in November  - 1st EP Delta is out.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Mid November...

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Richard Dane

This week will see the release from Music on Vinyl of a reissue of Mike Westbrook's Metropolis. This is definitely up there as one of the great British Jazz albums.  1971 originals are a bit pricey, so MoV's reissue is very welcome.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Chris_T

Thanks Richard, I don't think even Mike Westbrook knows about this. I'll let him know. There is also a vinyl re-release of "Love Songs" in the pipeline but no date for release as yet.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Happy Listener
Timmo1341 posted:

Having spent the last 20 minutes or so browsing back through this thread, I have reached the inescapable conclusion that the re-re-re releases of artists’ back catalogues badged up as premium box sets containing ‘never before heard’ outtakes, unreleased tracks etc., is just the latest method of fleecing music lovers!

The prices asked for the majority of these offerings are staggeringly eye watering. Yet another example of the upgrade virus, exploitation of those poor souls constantly seeking an unattainable musical nirvana (or the similarly afflicted ‘completists’ who cannot bear to not have every offering, whether or not it offers anything different or of better quality).

This truly is shameful, cynical behaviour by the owners of the original recordings, who you would have thought had made more than enough money out of us by now! 

A bit off-thread but I don't mind remastering if it brings something new to the party, perhaps tidies-up some mastering issues/choices when the original was set down. Modern technology should assist, on the basis the source material isn't being lifted from master tapes which have suffered from poor storage/print-through et al. Some Dire Straits' remasters of a few years back just seemed to have 'gain' added, in that there is a lot of surface-type noise evident on the CDs.

As you say some of the prices are eye-watering IMV but that's a personal matter. 

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Loki

Muse: Simulation Theory.