Rugby World Cup

Posted by: redeye on 05 October 2003

Less than a week to go Smile

This thread should give the English members of the forum a chance to 'bang on' about how wonderful their team is before the All Blacks have to burst the bubble by soundly kicking England's bum Wink

Any Australians on this forum??

red
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by andy c
Kev-w,
nice polarised opinion you have there dude. I like to watch a game where the ref/umpire is in charge and treated with respect - and not gobbed off at using all the expletives under the sun... but then again you probably don't like soccer/football either do you?
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by Kevin-W
Quote from Andy C

Kev-w,
nice polarised opinion you have there dude. I like to watch a game where the ref/umpire is in charge and treated with respect - and not gobbed off at using all the expletives under the sun... but then again you probably don't like soccer/football either do you?

Andy, I love football (well, West Ham and England anyway). I am a Hammers season ticket holder and have been to every home game this season.

Like you, I would love to see a game in which the ref was in charge. But I have to say - and I'm sure Matthew Robinson would agree with me on this - that the quality of refereeing in this country is abysmal. Last Wedesday against Norwich it as an effin' disgrace. This is why refs get so much abuse. If they were all as good as Pierluigi "Uncle Fester" Collina they would be treated with more respect.

Kevin
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by John Channing
Rugby Union on the other hand is unquestionably a middle class south eastern game

Bath, probably the most successful club in the history of English Rugby Union, is a City in the South West, so I would say it was probably better described as a Southern game.
John
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by andy c
Kevin,
sincere apologies.
I too like football. Then again I like most sports. But I love watching RFU and have done so for years. I also like watching a game where our national team is well capable - and regularly does - kick the opponent's butts into the next world!
Posted on: 21 October 2003 by matthewr
And I should know better, David, as I am regularly corrected on this fact by a mate from Devon.

Matthew
Posted on: 28 October 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
If England have to concede any more tries I hope they are all as wonderful.

All credit to Samoa but I have rarely seen such an inept (and nervous?) display. When struggling we should have gone down to basics, playing the phases, retaining the ball, gaining ground. Starting from that base then you can try the fancy moves.

Jonny W looks very out-of-sorts to me, I'm also very worried that Jason Robinson has shown so little, he seems to be taking up some odd positions and failing to gain yards as he is static when taking the ball.

I do hope Samoa will be up for S Africa this weekend and give the same spirited performance.

France in the semis will be a big game assuming we each get to that stage.

Bruce
Posted on: 28 October 2003 by Dave J
quote:
Perhaps I could stir things up by saying I thought Gregor Townsend had a good match, and that he would still by my pick for a British Lions team at fly half.

Dozy, surely you're joking. He had a lousy game, completely lacking in any imagination, always kicking the ball unnecessarily and losing possession.
Posted on: 28 October 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
...and the Scottish coaches seem to agree. Paterson is selected at No.10 for the Fiji game.

Bruce
Posted on: 28 October 2003 by redeye
Anyone else get the feeling that if England participate in a semi-final against say...France,that England stand a very good chance of being booted out of the tournament?

The ABs on the other hand should beat SA and Australia..

I reaaaly hope the final is NZ vs England

Smile Big Grin
red
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by John Channing
Anyone else get the feeling that if England participate in a semi-final against say...France,that England stand a very good chance of being booted out of the tournament?

If we play to our full ability we will blow France off the Park as we proved in the Six Nations as well as in the warm up game at Twickenham before the WC. The problem is, we have not got anywhere near to playing our best Rugby...
As for the ABs, you are still a long way from that final with Australia, SA/Samoa in your way.
John
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by andy c
I like it how the Aussies are trying anything to diss England and their chances of winning.
Another thing worth pointing out is the RWC is not a 1 off test match (group stages). The important thing is to win each game. England have done this so far, all be it with a below par perfomance (Samoa).
But, they STILL won. They keep winning. They now have got into the winning habit. Can the other teams (OZ, NZ, SA, FRA) claim the same recent consitancy?
I think not, because England have beaten them all at least twice in the last couple of years.
But, as usual with an England team, we build it up to be disappointed... or will we be...
Mmmm Wink
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by redeye
Watching very early stages of France vs USA

I think the fundamental difference is this..

If you want a fantastic, exciting World Cup Final with outrageously brilliant tries being scored from every bit of the field you go for NZ v France

If you want a dour, uneventful arm wrestle where sod all really happens you go NZ v England

O c'mon...you know its true

red
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by andy c
Redeye,
would your suggestion have anything to do with the point that NZ want to face the French 'cos the French defence is crap compared to Englands when under pressure?
And all this is supposition because NZ have got to get past South Africa and Austrailia potentially... (and England have got to get past Wales? and France (not easy))
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by redeye
Patrick..

Thats like saying Brazil don't play "real" football

Having said that I still believe the final will be Eng vs ABs. And I still believe this AB side have the creativity and the wheels to win it.

Bring it on
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by Chris Dolan
quote:
Thats like saying Brazil don't play "real" football

Well actually they don't!

Brazil might have won the World Cup but the Champions League is a much higher standard of football.

The problem with the World Cup is that the teams have to pick players based on where they were born or where their parents or grandparents were born.......without any transfer market.

Ridiculous!

Chris

Wink
Posted on: 01 November 2003 by John Channing
And I still believe this AB side have the creativity and the wheels to win it.

Assuming England play to their full ability and remembering you have lost the last two games against us, what makes you think you will do better this time?
John
Posted on: 01 November 2003 by redeye
Assuming England play to their full ability and remembering you have lost the last two games against us, what makes you think you will do better this time?
John[/QUOTE]

Assuming the All Blacks play to their full ability what makes you think they won't?

Reasons to be cheerful...

We now have a goal kicker (2 even)

We now have a hooker who can throw to the lineout (phew!)

We have Brad Thorne Eek

Home and away wins against Australia and SA in the last couple of months (incl 50 odd points scored in a couple of those games)

A hard nosed coach who used to work for England and has no illusions

Possibly the best backline in world rugby

Most people over here are pretty realistic (me included, believe it or not) and know that winning the thing is a huge ask.
Professionalism has changed rugby forever. England used to be soft, they'd always squeal eventually. Not anymore..

I'm optimistic because this All Black side shows all the signs of being one of the great ones. They're certainly young enough Wink

red
Posted on: 01 November 2003 by John Channing
Assuming the All Blacks play to their full ability what makes you think they won't?

I think what I was really getting at was, if an Englishman claimed we were going to win the WC despite not being ranked number one in the World and having failed twice in the last year or so to beat their main rival they would be accused of being arrogant, ignorant (or worse).

We now have a goal kicker (2 even)

Yeah, but we have a better one! Wink

We now have a hooker who can throw to the lineout (phew!)

But I bet he can't run as fast as ours.

Possibly the best backline in world rugby

And we have got unquestionably the best pack, which is what makes it so interesting.
John
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by John Channing
I'm just glad Wales only put out their second team, otherwise NZ may have landed in the wrong half of the draw and Australia may have started fancying their chances for the cup. Wink
John
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by Milan
Wales did play well but had a leaky defence. Then again the AB's were made to look ordinary by some of the Welsh play. However, class told in the end.

Beware the French!!

Milan
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by Milan:
However, class told in the end.

I think it was fitness that told in the end as Wales really struggled for the last 20 minutes. I did enjoy the game though, especially as after the early NZ try I really thought Wales were in for an absolute hammering - but overall they gave a decent account of themselves.

The NZ defence was surprisingly poor but some of their running play was impressive.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by redeye
I'm choosing to regard it as our Samoan incident. You guys do remember Samoa, right? Wink

Good to get the bad one out of the way before things become kill or be killed.

A lot of those holes in midfield wouldn't normally exist. Aaron Mauger is obviously way off being match fit and missed quite a few tackles. Unlike him. The loose forwards looked lethargic tho' which is a worry.

They won't play that badly again.

All we ever hear about over here are the woes of Welsh rugby...on that performance I'd say there's definitely promise there. They won't beat England though...maybe next World Cup.

red
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by redeye
Richie, lovely to see you here Big Grin

Beats discussing bloody hifi eh?

I feel you are bang on about Scotland. Pretty dire indeed

red
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by redeye:
I feel you are bang on about Scotland. Pretty dire indeed

Agreed. Scotland got as far as was reasonable but I'd be very surprised if any further progress is made. I did enjoy the Fiji game though.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by John Channing
I'm choosing to regard it as our Samoan incident. You guys do remember Samoa, right?

Of course, that was the game where England conceded one try against an exciting team playing fantastic running rugby. Conceding four against the reserves of probably the 5th best team in the Northern hemisphere is a totally different matter. Wink
John