Rugby World Cup

Posted by: redeye on 05 October 2003

Less than a week to go Smile

This thread should give the English members of the forum a chance to 'bang on' about how wonderful their team is before the All Blacks have to burst the bubble by soundly kicking England's bum Wink

Any Australians on this forum??

red
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by Uwe Supper
John,
I somehow KNEW you would mention this embarrassing match, but that is history. Just wait until tonight, we are playing France, one of the favourites for next year.
Cheers
Uwe
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by Davidmanne
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Dixon:
Last night I dreamt England led NZ by two clear tries with less than 20mins to go.

Looks like it must have been for third place.

So far you've got it right.

The Wallabies really did not give the All Blacks a look in.
And the fourth referee - Gregan - was tops.

It would have been good to see the All Blacks play at their best but it just did not happen.

Sorry all you Kiwis out there.

1995 - food poisoning
1999 - The Frenchies
2003 - The Western states of New Zealand
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by andy c
Down to the wire soon now boys and girls. And England have a fully fit team - surprise surprise... Wink
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by John Channing
At this point it is interesting to go back and read some of the early post.

If he was true to his word, Campese should be slating his own team in the press tomorrow for relying on rock solid defence and only winning because they had a better kicker. Somehow though, I don't think he will.

Some six hours on and I am still genuinely shocked that the All Blacks lost. It must be hard for the Kiwis to reconcile their belief, on one hand, that they are the greatest rugby playing nation in the World with their record in the WC. How can a team that won the Tri-nations so easily this year beating Australia by nearly 30 points in Sydney in the process not repeat it today? Why are Australia just so damn good when it really matters???

Unfortunately for the All Blacks, all the frailities that were there early in the year when they played England came back to haunt them. Their success in the Tri-nations I think blinded people to the fact that they did not look like a World Cup winning team six months ago. Back then I remember comments that the ABs would not win the WC with Carlos Spencer at fly half. His lack of consistency, poor kicking and decision making under pressure all made him a liability in a big game. Today that proved to be painfully true. Having the "best back line in the World" is no good if you can't get your hands on the ball and when you do the distribution from the fly half is so poor.
John
Posted on: 15 November 2003 by Minky
Completely agree RustyB. Mitchell is an arrogant Cnut and for me the silver lining is that he will (hopefully) now get the arse.

Plan B. Unless anyone has any objections I will now move my NZ passport from the top of the stack in favour of the pretty red one underneath it. GO ENGLAND !
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by andy c
So!
What price on an England Win now then....
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by matthewr
The odds will be considerably shorter if Joe Cole gets the nod.

Channing has just phoned me from a pub and was quite clearly pissed. Appalling behaviour for so early on a Sunday morning.

Matthew
quote:
The odds will be considerably shorter if Joe Cole gets the nod.

LOL Smile

The England pack/kicker/defence will see us throught next saturday, and how sweet that will taste in Oz'z back yard!
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by Steve G
Poor conditions spoiled what could otherwise have been a good game. Both teams seemed to have real problems handling the ball, but France were justly punished for some really, really awful kicking - especially given Wilkinson gave another fine performance.

Not a good game for the neutral to watch so I'm hoping we actually get to see some Rugby played in the final.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by redeye
Obviously very disappointing weekend for some of us. The AB's completely failed to fire in a sudden death semi (again).
Kudos to the Wallabies though. A champion team through and through. They deserved the win.

England grind on remorselessly in their own uniquely turgid fashion and will probably win the final.

Yuck Frown
Redeye...

Boo hooo hoooo (said crying).... Wink
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by redeye
andy c is obviously a highly intelligent lifeform but one would hope not typical of England's supporters

red
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by Chris Dolan
quote:
I'm hoping we actually get to see some Rugby played in the final

I do hope that was tongue in cheek.

England's performance today, in those conditions was superb rugby.

It's a shame but I won't see the final as Man Utd are playing Blackburn next Saturday.

Chris
redeye,
only joking...
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Dolan:
quote:
I'm hoping we actually get to see some Rugby played in the final

I do hope that was tongue in cheek.

England's performance today, in those conditions was superb rugby.

It's all a matter of perspective - I accept that the way England played was the way to win in those conditions but it was desperately dull to watch.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Dave J
quote:
It's all a matter of perspective - I accept that the way England played was the way to win in those conditions but it was desperately dull to watch.

Not from my sofa, it wasn't.
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
France were not exactly riveting and dynamic either. Last time England played Australia they ran the ball, scored very good tries, and won. England can play in different styles to suit different oponents/conditions-and they have the tactical nous and leadership on the field to change course during a game (NZ take note).

Really looking forward to the final now!

I reckon with almost half the team playing their last Internationals (Leonard/Back/Dallaglio/Johnson/Dawson/Catt plus ?Greenwood and Hill) we will be totally comitted and very hard to beat.

Bruce
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Simon Matthews
I hear a lot of anti English comment from those who's teams are already flying home. I have to question the motives and understanding of anybody not considering Englands performance on Sunday a high quality one.

Roll on Saturday, by the end of the 80 minutes we might get to see some humble pie being eaten, (to go along with the sour grapes).
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Matthews:
I hear a lot of anti English comment from those who's teams are already flying home. I have to question the motives and understanding of anybody not considering Englands performance on Sunday a high quality one.

In my case it's not particularily anti-English sentiment, I just want to see some entertaining rugby being played. Given the conditions yesterday then kicking was going to be critical - England's was near perfect, France's was shockingly bad (plus the France try was fairly lucky as well).

It's always different as a neutral though - if my team was able to get to this stage doing what they needed to get wins then I'd be more than happy with the situation.

Regards
Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Dixon:
Yes, it's mildly amusing to be critised for 'boring' play by a Scot, when Scotland's only sucesses have been achieved by 'spoiling' the other sides' game. Wink

A boring game is a boring game, no matter who you support. Scotland have been so crap (and crap to watch) of late that the only games I watched were against Fiji and then the QF.

And BTW I'm only half-Scots as my mum is English.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by John Channing
And BTW I'm only half-Scots as my mum is English.

pfff, another one jumping on the band wagon (or should that be chariot?) now that we are in the final! Wink
John
quote:
Originally posted by John Channing:
_And BTW I'm only half-Scots as my mum is English._

pfff, another one jumping on the band wagon (or should that be chariot?) now that we are in the final! Wink

F*ck no - I'll put my cards on the table now, I'll be hoping & praying for an Aussie win in the final. The media reaction to an English win doesn't bear thinking about...

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Simon Matthews
Still at least you got the gold in Curling. Wink
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by matthewr
I think you'll find Simon that the curling was a British victory -- at least according to the usual rules of The Official BBC Anti-Scotish Media Conspiracy.

Matthew
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Robinson:
The Official BBC Anti-Scotish Media Conspiracy.

That'll be "Scottish", Mathew...

Regards
Steve